PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed T56 syclone conversion

BigJake17
04-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I would like information or knowlege on converting a syclone or typhoon to a 6 speed, or to talk to anyone who has succesfully completed this project yourself. I would like use a T56, their are pictures of a sylone with a T56 on sportmachines.com. I know it was done on the quadraduce street rod that used a syclone power plant. :D

LIL QIK
04-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Shoot Robert Lone a pm.....really good guy to talk to and I found him very helpful for info.

Sy-cloned
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I would like information or knowlege on converting a syclone or typhoon to a 6 speed, or to talk to anyone who has succesfully completed this project yourself. I would like use a T56, their are pictures of a sylone with a T56 on sportmachines.com. I know it was done on the quadraduce street rod that used a syclone power plant. :D

Quadradeuce didn't use a syclone powerplant. It used the AWD case and possibly some of the drivetrain.

There was a guy with the set-up for sale in the members for sale section here. It will be pricey though. Good luck.

Loeryder
05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Quadraduece used the transfer case and front diff.

Have you considered converting to a 4L80e.
The auto will be quicker and more consistent in the 1/4 while the T56 might be more "fun" to drive.

George Blake
05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
If you just want to shift it manually, you can do a "shrifter" or make your own system using a steering wheel with premounted buttons for up and down shifting. If you like the road race feel then a 6 speed would be fun to drive. There's lots of goodies you give up for the trade though. HP capacity, boosted launches, etc. I bet the 6 speed would be fun to drive though.

Fast Eddie
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Look for a T56 case from a C5 vette. They have a short tailhousing with a flat, machined face that bolts to the vette's torque tube. You can have an adaptor fabbed to mate it with a transfer case.

Also, consider one of the newer AWD transfer cases found in the Escalade, TBSS, Sierra C3, etc. Shock-loading capacity of these units are far superior to a SYTY case. AWD + Manual transmission = big shock loads.

Captain Morgan
09-09-2008, 12:07 PM
I bet the 6 speed would be fun to drive though.

i dunno about that, Renz said his 5-speed Typhoon wasnt nearly as fun as he thought it would be. Cant really do any boost launch with a manual and going in and out of the powerband hardly seems to be the best way to fast ET's ;)

Raist103
09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
5/6spd sy/ty = gay buy a dsm

NecroWolf
09-09-2008, 06:51 PM
i dunno about that, Renz said his 5-speed Typhoon wasnt nearly as fun as he thought it would be. Cant really do any boost launch with a manual and going in and out of the powerband hardly seems to be the best way to fast ET's ;)
msd two step and tuning could help that but kinda hard on the turbo

George Blake
09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Look for a T56 case from a C5 vette. They have a short tailhousing with a flat, machined face that bolts to the vette's torque tube. You can have an adaptor fabbed to mate it with a transfer case.

Also, consider one of the newer AWD transfer cases found in the Escalade, TBSS, Sierra C3, etc. Shock-loading capacity of these units are far superior to a SYTY case. AWD + Manual transmission = big shock loads.

4472 has a viscous coupler in it that absorbs and splits the load so, no, that's not an issue. Just FYI. With the new billet 32 spline input shafts and the 32 spline output shaft arrangements, they have handled some major abuse. The planets I'm doing will be done soon. That's the last weak link in the case as far as I can tell.

Fast Eddie
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
4472 has a viscous coupler in it that absorbs and splits the load so, no, that's not an issue. Just FYI. With the new billet 32 spline input shafts and the 32 spline output shaft arrangements, they have handled some major abuse. The planets I'm doing will be done soon. That's the last weak link in the case as far as I can tell.

You working on a manual trans conversion?

mattw
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I was in Renz's 5-speed Ty and it completely sucked with the manual trans.. I think that if you do a manual conversion you will be really disappointed in the end.

-Matt

George Blake
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
You working on a manual trans conversion?
No because guys don't want it. The only guys that would really want it would be top speed guys that need 6th gear on a manual trans to get road speed up and maitain it. For the majority of road race guys, a 4l80e or a 4l60e(60e is a much weaker setup of course) with shrifter setup works fine. I was just stating that the 4472 has more than proven itself with guys running high 7s low 8s. That takes a pretty big shock on TCC lockups and shifts with max line pressure.
Robert Lone is the guy you want to talk to on here about that if your dead set on doing it.

Fast Eddie
09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
My application isn't a Turbo 6. NA V8. Conversion would be a bit more "fun".

George Blake
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45218&highlight=manual+transfer+case
I found that. Robert Lone is "mutant". His avatar is laughing skull with crossswords.

Trizney
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM
If you just want to shift it manually, you can do a "shrifter" or make your own system using a steering wheel with premounted buttons for up and down shifting. If you like the road race feel then a 6 speed would be fun to drive. There's lots of goodies you give up for the trade though. HP capacity, boosted launches, etc. I bet the 6 speed would be fun to drive though.

What would be needed in order to have this "shrifter"? Meaning, 4L80E, control module, software, steering wheel buttons? George, have you done one of these?

George Blake
09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Mine doesn't have it but Adam Auerbach did in a billet package 4L80e I did for him that he autocrosses with.
Here's a link talking about it. The "paddle" ability is in the TCI controllers old and new as well as the PCS controller and some other controllers on the market.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0507phr_twist_machines_paddle_shifter_install/index.html
You only need that if you want to do it manually. Turn it off and your back to automatic shifting.

leadfoot
09-11-2008, 08:15 AM
There was once an owner "5spty" whom had a manual trans. Not sure if he got rid of it or what as this is going back 5 years or more...

dgoodhue
09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
There was once an owner "5spty" whom had a manual trans. Not sure if he got rid of it or what as this is going back 5 years or more...

Renz bought that Ty, and is one of the examples being referenced.

NecroWolf
09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
isn't there a six speed ty in japan?

leadfoot
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Renz bought that Ty, and is one of the examples being referenced.

DOH! :doh:

Xtrempickup
09-11-2008, 07:52 PM
id love to know how a 5spd sy/ty drives, that would be something interesting with a good trans and the right clutch behind it

Tooky
09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
It's very likely that switching to a manual transmission would also require a LOT of custom chip tuning for proper idle & driveability as the loads are a lot different than what an auto trans with a tight converter would have.

MRKING
09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
i bought renz's previously 5 speed ty , thank god he already did the swap back to the 700 for me . Also my buddy's syclone has a t56 and the awd case in it still , but i know he regrets it .

there plenty more ways to give your self a headache than that conversion , save your $$$

s_blazin
09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
mine doesn't have it but adam auerbach did in a billet package 4l80e i did for him that he autocrosses with.
Here's a link talking about it. The "paddle" ability is in the tci controllers old and new as well as the pcs controller and some other controllers on the market.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0507phr_twist_machines_paddle_shifter_install/index.html
you only need that if you want to do it manually. Turn it off and your back to automatic shifting.

i'm sold, thats really weird how it's been around for years but no one ever paid attention