Holley HP install and tips Holley HP install and tips
    CRISPY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Holley HP install and tips

I have been looking at harnesses and trying to figure out all that I need and it looks like the holley TPI harness would save a few bucks or am I incorrect... I couldnt find harness part numbers here on on the other few sites I have looked at...

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-503
    Holleydays Price: $423.86

It looks like it inculdes:

Universal MPFI Main Harness
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-104
    Holleydays Price: $288.86

Main Power Harness
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-203
    Holleydays Price: $53.85

HEI GM Small Cap Ignition Harness
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-304
    Holleydays Price: $27.37

Universal 6 Cylinder Injector Harness
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-203
    Holleydays Price: $108.86

I know I would still need:

LSU4 Bosch Wideband
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/554-101
    Holleydays Price: $132.26

3 Bar MAP
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/554-107
    Holleydays Price: $82.22

And maybe:
    3 Port Boost Control Solenoid Valve
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/557-200
    Holleydays Price: $93.56

Or sell my ecu and buy the kit?
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/550-601N
    Last edited by fivetodrive; 12-05-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought I would give an update. The truck is running great. The tune is spot on still, no issues. This is the single best thing I have done with the Syclone.
    1991 Syclone 2373, With a few mods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Randy,

Did you ever figure out the whole activation of the two-step with a "hold brake and load past XXXX RPM" setup with the Holley??

I remember it was brought up in the past, but don't remember reading the outcome..

Thanks,
    Paul Z.

1991 Syclone # 2130. Black/Black. Built stock block, Nolan custom cam, Brodix heads with EFI converted carb intake, PTE 6466 Gen 2, PTE front mount A/A intercooler, Built 4L80e, DaveP Holley Dominator install with DIS, etc.
    1993 Typhoon #1309. Black/Argent. Stockish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Z SKI View Post
    Hey Randy,

Did you ever figure out the whole activation of the two-step with a "hold brake and load past XXXX RPM" setup with the Holley??

I remember it was brought up in the past, but don't remember reading the outcome..

Thanks,
    No, I didn't go ahead and do this. The new brake vacuum booster pump I put on the truck works so good that I don't see any real need for a two step anymore. It should be fairly easy to do, however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a few questions recently about keeping the factory gauges, speedo, and tach working with the Holley. If you leave all of the stock wiring, and unplug the stock ECM but leave the DRAC, all of the gauges with the exception of the boost gauge will work properly. The speedo and the tach will work properly also. No need to touch these or interface with the Holley. The stock boost gauge will no longer work, as it has no signal input from the MAP sensor.

I just tucked my factory harness behind the dist. in case I ever wanted to go back to stock. I did remove the stock injector harness, as it was easy to unplug.

Unplugging the stock ECM is not necessary, but I wanted to remove it to have more room to route wires.

The above statements assume that the truck has a stock(is) transmission installed in order for the DRAC to drive the speedo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could install a stand-alone 2-BAR MAP sensor for the boost gauge. Get the 5 Volt reference from the Holley. The wire to the boost gauge is in the 10-pin white connector by the ECM. I THINK it is lt green once it is in the dash harness.

Minor detail: The VSS sensor is on the T-case, not the transmission. But most guys that have retained the 700 like you have will continue to use the T-case sensor and stock DRAC. With the 4L80e, and a Dominator for trans control, the Dominator has an output that can drive the speedometer. On Paul-Z's however, I retained the DRAC and continue to use the t-case sensor for the speedo. One less thing to configure in the Dominator.

Someday I'll come to Florida again for some reason. I'm going to bring my GM connectors and terminals and spend a day with your truck making a stand-alone harness for the C100 to engine harness so you can remove your stock engine harness altogether. It bugs me that you have that cluster of un-used wire and stuff behind the distributor. I could probably make you something and send it to you too, but I'm not sure how you've interfaced fuel pump, A/C clutch and TCC. But I may do that too.

Take care, buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dave for the info. Always a pleasure hearing from you. Speaking of Florida, I intend on going to Gary's meet in Feb. It would be nice if you could find a way to make it.

TRBOBOX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randy merritt View Post
    You do have to fill in the timing table yourself, and the guys at SME can help with that. One downside is there really isn't a way to easily run a knock sensor.
    Randy I finally got my truck running and now mobile. Still need to do a lot to get up to 100%.
    Anyway I bought my cam from SME too and I was just wondering if you could post a picture of your base timing table or send me a global to compare against.
    Last edited by tbauer03; 05-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    Ted Bauer
    1992 Typhoon Custom Cam,Vortec Heads, PTE 6766, 4L60E
    1965 Corvette Roadster 327 4 Speed
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    1956 Chevy Pickup
    1999 Dodge Dakota
    2011 Ford Edge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my table. I have messed with it quite a bit, so it is not the same as SME gave me. It is not perfect, and any feedback would be welcome. I set the timing low at idle because that is what my truck seems to like. Some say that I am not running enough timing, but I think this timing table is very safe. Note that I run meth for knock suppression. I did figure out how to hook up the stock knock sensor and make it work, BTW.
    Holley HP install and tips-img_20170514_070730899-jpg

TRBOBOX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JSM View Post
    Simple razor blade is all that is needed, and you just need to cut a slot in 2 places I believe for the indexing part of the map sensor.

Rescaling of sensor inside the holley software takes all of 30 seconds. I think on one of the trucks I even selected holley sensor and it worked fine. Been a few months now though since I messed with one.
    I haven't really done much with mine yet but it is now running. I have a GM 3 Bar sensor in the truck and I selected the holley sensor in the softeware. Do I need to do any scaling/calibrations with it? If so how?
    Ted Bauer
    1992 Typhoon Custom Cam,Vortec Heads, PTE 6766, 4L60E
    1965 Corvette Roadster 327 4 Speed
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    1956 Chevy Pickup
    1999 Dodge Dakota
    2011 Ford Edge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to try and write down what I have learned on how to make a stripped down firewall harness (C100) to use with the Holley. This may be a bit rambling, but I will edit it as time goes on and others have input.
    NOTE. As of today, I have not installed this harness on my truck. I have verified all of the needed wires with DaveP, though.

I started off with a junkyard harness off of a 4.3 automatic S10 or blazer (4wd I think). I cut the wires at the ECU and on the instrument panel side of C101.

Holley HP install and tips-harness-jpg

Get the entire harness including the VSS and TCC connectors on the transmission as they are tied into the harness and will be needed. Be sure to get the Instrument Panel connector (C101) with the harness, as it contains the white wire from the coil that will be needed for the tach. None of the other wires on the engine side of the C101 are needed.

C101:
    Holley HP install and tips-img_20170519_083629236-jpgHolley HP install and tips-img_20170519_083629236-jpg

C100:
    Holley HP install and tips-c100-jpg

The wires that will be needed are as follows. I have include the connector name, and the cavity location on the C100 connector.

Wiper Motor - Connector C155 cavity H3, G3, B3, A3
    VSS - Connector C163 cavity H2, G2
    CTS - Connector C153 cavity E2
    TCC - Connector C139 cavity F2, B1
    Purple starter wire - cavity H1
    Ground - cavity c2 - Note: if you have removed the stock fuel pump relay, it seems that this is the only system ground needed
    Oil Pressure Sensor - Connector C129 cavity D2 Note: I will be taking the oil pressure switch out of the fuel pump circuit. Only the tan wire is needed to operate the oil pressure gauge on the dash.
    Main power wires - cavity D1, F1 Note: these wires just loop from C100 to the alt then to the power block on the firewall then back to C100.
    Coil power wire - Connector C120 cavity C1
    Alternator harness - Connector C118 cavity A2, B2
    Fuel pump power wire - cavity E1 Note: I will be using the Holley directly hooked to this input to power my fuel pump. It goes into the dash, then back out the rear light harness.
    A/C (if you have it) - cavity B2 Note the other wires in the A/C harness that go to the ECM can be cut off.

The white wire that goes off the coil needs to be kept on the C101 IP harness connector in order for the tach to work.

All other wires to all other sensors can be removed.

This is what I ended up with. Ready to install when I get motivated.
    Holley HP install and tips-img_20170519_085046708-jpg
    Last edited by randy merritt; 05-19-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information