User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfer Case Viscous Clutch ?

Transfer Case  Viscous Clutch ? Transfer Case  Viscous Clutch ?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Transfer Case Viscous Clutch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Krupa View Post
    Ya I would agree Brian. STE said the way my coupler is operating is "normal". Not supposed to be able to move just RWD. Removing the Prop will in sense try to drive the side with least resistance which would be the front. Dave kinda disagrees with that , obviously guys have driven without Propshaft and Dyno RWD.
    I would also disagree, if that were the case then why did every oem 4472 application work rwd with the front out? Ive driven a very original sy with the front shaft out for a couple months back in the day, like many have said it makes them pretty worthless as the REAR wheels just go up in smoke.
    With how loose the new aftermarket ones are, it would make me question how well they are splitting the tq with the front shaft in and awd compared to factory. If it was too loose wouldnt it send more than the stock 20-25% tq or whatever it is to the front? Or less?
    03 arrival blue SSS
    sy1373
    sy2557 sold in 04

Combating adversyty. Quickstop [UK]'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of the VC as a torque converter. If it is too weak, it won't transmit engine tq to the wheels. There isn't a direct link from the engine to the rear diff. It goes through the input shaft, the planetary carrier then to the wheels.

The planetary carrier is held in position by the VC. If the fronts lose traction, the outer planetary (RWD) will move in reference to the inner sun-shell (FWD). The VC will get hot and will try and lock up to split the tq in the same ratio. The ratio is fixed based on the relationship of the two gears.

However, the VC will not transmit as much power to both sets of wheels. If the engine tq overwhelms the tq capacity of the VC then it will just spin the VC, same as a converter that is too loose. Like a tq converter, excess power will get converted to heat, heat kills the VC.

They probably work fine on lower powered vehicles but one or two episodes of high power tq split and the VC is toasted.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'Quickstop [UK

However, the VC will not transmit as much power to both sets of wheels. If the engine tq overwhelms the tq capacity of the VC then it will just spin the VC, same as a converter that is too loose. Like a tq converter, excess power will get converted to heat, heat kills the VC.

They probably work fine on lower powered vehicles but one or two episodes of high power tq split and the VC is toasted.
    This is what i was getting at, if the tq over powers the loose VC wouldnt the majorty of the power go to the least reaistance like a open differental.. The VC is just like the lsd clutch discs that lock up when slip happens.
    Either way not good news, someone should find a reliable manufactuer of these, and the chains.
    03 arrival blue SSS
    sy1373
    sy2557 sold in 04

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, I'm still learning about how this all works, but according to Dave who I just talked to.. with the Propshaft still in the VC does nothing unless you break the tires loose. I've had the Propshaft installed since last year and have given it all the power since then and been fine. Got on it today and pulls hard no sign of slippage.

My buddy ordered a couple of the Rebuilt GM VCs from STE in Cali and I'll be testing them within the next week. They should be the answer for a reliable replacement. I'll keep you guys updated. But for now, my truck is driving great like it should AWD, and Dave will be discussing to STE about how all these guys ran without a Prop and drove fine soon. He will also bring them a good known stock unit to compare since it's Tight.
    1993 GMC Typhoon #1215 (10.71@124MPH Stock Bottom End)
    Typhoon 2.0 Build: Forged Internals, Block Fill, 4 bolt, High Compression, Brodix -8 Ported Heads, Custom Cam, Headers, E85, Holley Dominator, Built 4L80e

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes keep us updated, thanks
    03 arrival blue SSS
    sy1373
    sy2557 sold in 04

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been driving my typhoon with the whole front differential removed. Down the road I plan to have the internals of my tranny put into a 2wd case. Bottom line is that I have driven this truck hard with no front prop shaft. All seems fine, just don't park on a steep hill or you'll end up in the middle of the road (ask how I know)
    2nd place is the first loser!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidswords88 View Post
    I've been driving my typhoon with the whole front differential removed. Down the road I plan to have the internals of my tranny put into a 2wd case. Bottom line is that I have driven this truck hard with no front prop shaft. All seems fine, just don't park on a steep hill or you'll end up in the middle of the road (ask how I know)

Chances are is you were to put the front prop shaft back in you will notice it will drive
    Like it's a 4x4 truck because the viscous is most likely seized
    1993 GMC typhoon #1834 best 1/4 12.34@107 stock turbo
    Stock long block.
    2.5in test pipe/3in sportsmachine cat back/TT chip
    80lb/hr injectors/ 5.5gal water/ice box. Sportsmachine heat exchanger
    17 Tundra crewmax limited
    05 evo VIII SSL 548awhp/502awtq.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidswords88 View Post
    What did you do with the axle shafts in the hubs?
    91 SY #966
    92 Teal TY #414 Nats 05 Pure Stock Champ
    92 4dr T15 Jimmy 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the outer portion of the c.v. Shaft and removed it from the assembly. I then put it through the splined part of the wheel bearing and put the axle nut but back on. I was not sure if the wheel bearing needed the shaft to hold it togther or not. It was fairly easy to take apart, I had to pull a copperish retaining ring out to remove the cupped portion of the cv shaft. I have replaced boots on atv shafts and they were held together with snap rings. I'm not concerned 1 bit with possible transfer case damage as I plan on ditching it in the future anyways.
    2nd place is the first loser!

Transfer Case  Viscous Clutch ?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you hear about a "bad batch of vc's"? A search of "bad batch" on here led to no discussion about a batch of bad vc's. I doubt there ever was, really. Likely, it was just a single bad vc. Just because a part goes bad before you expect it to doesn't mean something is inherently wrong with it. Or do you have multiple vc's purchased from this "batch" to show that there is a continual problem with multiple parts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information