User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What cooler is behind the front grille?

What cooler is behind the front grille? What cooler is behind the front grille?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What cooler is behind the front grille?

NVM I found the fuse. Wires on this truck are red.

The fuse is not blown.

I have 12v at the fuse and also my test light works when hooked up to the relay ground I made. No power at the pump connector. I cleaned it and also stabbed through the wire jacket.

How to test relay?

EDIT: Using test light I have power at the red wire on the relay with the key off. With key on I have power at the red wire and the purple/black wire on the relay. The orange wire is never hot and yellow is obviously ground.
    Last edited by TGO; 06-24-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think your good.

something tells me there's a initial 3 second power engsgment the pump will activate then shut.off

I do remember a thermocouple on the lower heat exchanger. If I'm correct, its a limit switch. When it reaches its limit power is transmitted and pump is turned on. I might be wrong. It's been a little while....
    1991 Syclone #678.
    1992 Typhoon #413 Sold

- When the turbo spins the bullshit ends.

BuSTeD 4.3
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The limit switch on the ic doesn't work or do anything. (It was suppose to be a low coolant light, but it was never wired properly from the factory.). If the fuse is good but you have no power at the pump either you a broken wire or something other than the factory wiring.
    Dave
    Sy #2661

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyclone View Post
    I really think your good.

something tells me there's a initial 3 second power engsgment the pump will activate then shut.off

I do remember a thermocouple on the lower heat exchanger. If I'm correct, its a limit switch. When it reaches its limit power is transmitted and pump is turned on. I might be wrong. It's been a little while....
    Shouldn't "hotwiring" IE: grounding the yellow wire on the relay make the pump run instantly as soon as the key is turned on? And stay on?

Quote Originally Posted by dgoodhue View Post
    The limit switch on the ic doesn't work or do anything. (It was suppose to be a low coolant light, but it was never wired properly from the factory.). If the fuse is good but you have no power at the pump either you a broken wire or something other than the factory wiring.
    The wire for that sensor is clipped off anyway.

I was thinking broken wire but I'm testing the orange wire AT the point it exits the relay and have no power with the key on.

I can't hear the relay click when I turn the key on but i'm not sure I would be able to anyway since it's outside the cabin.

I ran out of time today but what's the chances the relay is bad? I whacked it with my screwdriver a few times. Nothing. I didn't have time to play with it anymore.

Outside of the clipped sensor wire the harness looks stock. The IC pump relay was untouched. I'm assuming they just modified the on/off temps with a tune/chip. Plus like I said the IC pump connector was just dangling loose under the bumper, and I have the bad pump from RPI here with the same style connector on the end.

I'd rather not run this to a switch in the dash. I'd like to have the pump come on with the key if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the pink/black wire comes hot with the key on, can I just use that to power the pump?

I'm a NOOB, KILL ME!!! syclone809's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. Thanks TGO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I did read that and I did the hotwire and I still have no power at the orange wire at the pump connector or the orange wire at the relay. Perhaps the relay is bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test for continuity.

or swap relays out.
    1991 Syclone #678.
    1992 Typhoon #413 Sold

10. Thanks TGO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test for continuity.

or swap relays out.
    I do plan to check continuity at the connector but at this point I'm not sure it's an issue because even if that wire is pinched/broken somewhere, I should get power where I'm jabbing the probe at the back of the relay. And I'm not. At least I think I should be. I found out the pink/black wire comes on with the key so providing the yellow wire is grounded the relay should energize the orange wire.

Looks like the relay is about $15 so I guess I'll just get one. Is there another I can swap it with just to test?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to flush out these intercooler components? I don't know how long these things have been dry but I noticed some powdery substance...maybe just scale in the opening of the lower IC. Could just be dirt/dust. But I think it would be a good idea so flush them out before filling with coolant. I was thinking just hook everything up but take the intake line from the pump and run it in to a bucket of clean water and just let the return line from the upper IC dump out in to the street. The once that's done let anything left drain out and then fill it with coolant. Added bonus of checking for leaks too I think.

I know I'm being meticulous about this and I can be pretty neurotic as well. It's not my car but this thing has character and I want everything to be done the right way. Even if it will probably just get sold when I'm done.

BuSTeD 4.3
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Since the pink/black wire comes hot with the key on, can I just use that to power the pump?
    No, I would highly recommend not doing that. The pink/black circuit does not have enough capacity to power a IC pump, plus much of your electronics and including your ECM get power from that circuit.

Thanks. I did read that and I did the hotwire and I still have no power at the orange wire at the pump connector or the orange wire at the relay. Perhaps the relay is bad?
    The relay doesn't provide power to the IC pump. It only provides a path to ground. I would wire a fuse wire to back of the alternator like the factory did to provide power to the IC pump if the factory wiring doesn't work. Use the factory pump (fan) wiring for the ground path through the relay.

Just to make sure this is the fuse that you are checking right? (the picture are of the same fuse, one with the cover, one without)
    Attached Images Attached Images What cooler is behind the front grille?-img_2145-jpg What cooler is behind the front grille?-img_2144-jpg 
    Dave
    Sy #2661

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The relay doesn't provide power to the IC pump. It only provides a path to ground. I would wire a fuse wire to back of the alternator like the factory did to provide power to the IC pump if the factory wiring doesn't work. Use the factory pump (fan) wiring for the ground path through the relay.

Just to make sure this is the fuse that you are checking right? (the picture are of the same fuse, one with the cover, one without)
    That is the fuse. The one on this truck is a 10a fuse but yes that is it.

I'm confused now though. I'm testing for power at the back of the relay. With the yellow wire of the relay permanently grounded (which it is after "hotwiring") shouldn't there be 12v on the orange wire going to the pump connector? Because there is not. Again, I'm probing right at the wires on the back of the relay.

BuSTeD 4.3
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the fuse. The one on this truck is a 10a fuse but yes that is it.

I'm confused now though. I'm testing for power at the back of the relay. With the yellow wire of the relay permanently grounded (which it is after "hotwiring") shouldn't there be 12v on the orange wire going to the pump connector? Because there is not. Again, I'm probing right at the wires on the back of the relay.
    Sorry if I confused you, I was mistaken. I looked at the service manual wiring and the IC relay does provide switched power to the IC pump. My truck has an Air to Air Intercooler and Electric Fans. I use the relay to switch my ground. I did these mods a dozen years ago and forgot how the factory wiring was.
    Dave
    Sy #2661

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if I confused you, I was mistaken. I looked at the service manual wiring and the IC relay does provide switched power to the IC pump. My truck has an Air to Air Intercooler and Electric Fans. I use the relay to switch my ground. I did these mods a dozen years ago and forgot how the factory wiring was.
    lol!

Thanks. I get overwhelmed by electronics sometimes.

I'm really feeling like the relay could be bad. I can't seem to find one online that isn't on backorder or that will arrive quickly so I'm gonna try and get one locally. I'm wondering if there's another relay I can swap with just to test in the meantime now though.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In thinking its on the firewall? A relay to switch out and temporary try
    1991 Syclone #678.
    1992 Typhoon #413 Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In thinking its on the firewall? A relay to switch out and temporary try
    The only one I looked at was the fuel pump and that won't work.

I found a thread that said something about it and now I can't find it anymore lol!

Everywhere you look online it lists the relay as an ac compressor relay so maybe I'll try to find that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information