User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What cooler is behind the front grille?

What cooler is behind the front grille? What cooler is behind the front grille?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What cooler is behind the front grille?

Truck has stock IC disconnected and all lines removed. I have a new pump from RPM and I removed the upper IC core and lower from under the bumper to mount the new pump and then route the new hoses through the fender.

While looking around I noticed another cooler behind the front grille. It's in front of the radiator. It has gray plastic tubing on either side and they have barb connections on the end. I thought maybe this had something to do with the IC system? Since plastic seems weak for something like a transmission or oil cooler.

What is this for? It's completely disconnected.

I can take pictures later. It's pouring outside right now.

Thanks!

Stab it and steer it
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What cooler is behind the front grille?

Not unusual for trans coolers to have simple fittings with screw type hose clamps. Check that the "real" trans cooler lines are going to the radiator on the pas side. If they are connected then you're good to go unless you plan on doing some racing or want to do a cooler later.

BTW folks bring the IC lines up different ways but you don't have to go through the fender. Assuming stock type lower IC and pump setup, bring both lines up the drivers side between the fan shroud, steering gear and frame. Then over the drivers side valve cover and behind the intake to the upper IC. (One of the fittings on the upper IC points that way anyway.) Do it any way you want but this is what I've done and the big advantage is when I remove the upper IC I don't have to drain it. Just take it off and set it over by the cruise control. I can take some pics if you want. Saved me countless hours over the years. Another hint. These things are notoriously difficult to get all the air out. So, assuming my setup he-he, you can just hold the upper IC, hoses connected of course, up in the air, fill pointed up, and the air comes out quickly. You have to run the pump regardless of how you do it.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

3. Thanks TGO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah there are oil and transmission lines going in to the radiator.

I really would like to know what this additional cooler is for though. I'm helping my cousin with this thing. When he got it, the entire intercooler system was disconnected. The original IC pump was seized. We haven't added or removed anything (other than the engine lol) so now I want to go back and get everything hooked up properly and I can't figure out what this thing is for. I found some diagrams of the intercooler and engine cooling system and I cannot find this part ANYWHERE in any of the diagrams.

I guess I'll have to take some pics and post them. Like I Said it has plastic gray tubes on either side that end with plastic barb fittings on the end. They are both pointed down. I noticed it's attached with nylon lock nuts that don't look like they're 25 years old. It's behind the grille and I't have to at least take that off...maybe the bumper as well in order to be able to attach any lines to it. I wonder if it's some sort of aftermarket piece? Or maybe something scavenged from another vehicle? I can't find anything regarding any such type of modification anywhere. I can't believe it would be for oil or transmission fluid with the plastic fittings.

If you could post some pics of your setup that would be great too.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a factory stock power steering cooler which is just a loop located on driver side. In front of radiator, behind grille.. driver side.

mine was metal.

I really don't know what you have, but from description it sure sounds like a OEM factory power steering.cooler. from what I remember both them lines pointed down... With out pictures its like the blind leading the blind.
    1991 Syclone #678.
    1992 Typhoon #413 Sold

- When the turbo spins the bullshit ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It used to be pretty common for people to run an auxiliary heat exchanger in line with the factory one below. My truck had that same setup when I purchased it. If your intercooler tubing wasn't hooked up prior this could be what it was and it would be hard to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    .... Noel
    93 Typhoon #0242
    Stock block rebuild, vortec heads, 60-1 P-Trim, ATR headers, ATR 3" exh, SM HE, walbro 255, 80lb inj, PI converter, TT chip.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the metal PS cooler. This is sandwiched between that and the radiator.

Also I was mistaken...the fittings are brass but the piping is plastic.

Here's some pics:

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like an ATR auxiliary intercooler
    1991 Syclone 2373, With a few mods

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a ATR additional cooler/heat exchanger. Pictures show it.
    1991 Syclone #678.
    1992 Typhoon #413 Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1991 Syclone 2373, With a few mods

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome.

I found the installation instructions in this thread:

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthrea...r-instructions

I guess I am gonna have to route the hoses through the fender to make it work like in the pictures.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Also, is the johnson pump gonna be powerful enough to use? I found the bad pump we removed. I knew it didn't look OEM. It is the large ATR unit. But the sticker must have fallen off a long time ago. Do I need a more powerful pump?

EDIT: Instructions say ATR pump is 200gph. Johnson pump is 6.9gpm....which comes out to 414gph by my math. Does that sound right?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok guys. More problems. I plumbed up everything to the lower IC. I plugged in the pump before bolting it back on the car and there's no power at the pump. It is my understanding that the pump is supposed to run for a few seconds when you turn the key on. But I followed the how to in order to hotwire the pump anyway.

The pump works if I just jump it off the battery.

It's dark outside right now...but the only thing I can think of is that the connector on the car has been left dangling exposed to the elements for God knows how long. It looked pretty crappy inside. I tried pushing my multi meter leads in to the back of the connector and still no dice. I don't know if I was touching metal though. I'd rather not pierce the jacket of the wiring. Should I even bother trying to clean the contacts inside or just clip the connector and install a new one? And also if there really is no power at that connector afterwards what's the next good spot to look?

I figured I'd post here first before starting another thread. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me think for a second..... I would first try to clean the terminals. My method is to use some standard issue gun oil on a small stick/twig and get a drop of oil on the stick and drop on the beat connector terminals. I usually then plug/unplug/plug/unplug to create a natural scuff/scratch.

So if that doesnt help, I am pretty sure up by the back of the alternator........maybe tucked behind it theres the first lower intake bolt (driver side) there is a eyelet terminal, some where around there there is a series of RED or ORANGE wires, I believe 2.. I think my syclone has RED wires, and the typhoon had ORANGE. Some where in line there is a twist out buss style/pill looking fuse. Its in a small black twist out fuse holder. Could be popped, or just not even there. Another key point is to check all grounds. The large eyelet terminal is a big grounding hub like grand central.

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Ok guys. More problems. I plumbed up everything to the lower IC. I plugged in the pump before bolting it back on the car and there's no power at the pump. It is my understanding that the pump is supposed to run for a few seconds when you turn the key on. But I followed the how to in order to hotwire the pump anyway.

The pump works if I just jump it off the battery.

It's dark outside right now...but the only thing I can think of is that the connector on the car has been left dangling exposed to the elements for God knows how long. It looked pretty crappy inside. I tried pushing my multi meter leads in to the back of the connector and still no dice. I don't know if I was touching metal though. I'd rather not pierce the jacket of the wiring. Should I even bother trying to clean the contacts inside or just clip the connector and install a new one? And also if there really is no power at that connector afterwards what's the next good spot to look?

I figured I'd post here first before starting another thread. Thanks!
    1991 Syclone #678.
    1992 Typhoon #413 Sold

14. Thanks TGO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I was reading about the fuses by the alternator. I've been looking for a description of where the engine bay grounds are so I can check them? I used the one up by the hood hinge on the passenger side to ground the relay.

BuSTeD 4.3
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their is a dedicated fuse for the intercooler pump, the lug comes off the back of the alternator goes towards the driver side. The fuse holder is within the 1st few inches of the alternator. (Assuming someone hasn't moved or removed the wiring.)
    Dave
    Sy #2661

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyclone View Post
    Let me think for a second..... I would first try to clean the terminals. My method is to use some standard issue gun oil on a small stick/twig and get a drop of oil on the stick and drop on the beat connector terminals. I usually then plug/unplug/plug/unplug to create a natural scuff/scratch.

So if that doesnt help, I am pretty sure up by the back of the alternator........maybe tucked behind it theres the first lower intake bolt (driver side) there is a eyelet terminal, some where around there there is a series of RED or ORANGE wires, I believe 2.. I think my syclone has RED wires, and the typhoon had ORANGE. Some where in line there is a twist out buss style/pill looking fuse. Its in a small black twist out fuse holder. Could be popped, or just not even there. Another key point is to check all grounds. The large eyelet terminal is a big grounding hub like grand central.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodhue View Post
    Their is a dedicated fuse for the intercooler pump, the lug comes off the back of the alternator goes towards the driver side. The fuse holder is within the 1st few inches of the alternator. (Assuming someone hasn't moved or removed the wiring.)
    Thanks guys

This is what I found behind the alternator. If there is a fuse in there I have no idea how to get it out. I tried twisting it. Or even prying gently at the seam on the side. Nothing.

Or is that just the completely wrong thing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information