Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whooshing sound under dash with boost

Our Typhoon develops a whooshing sound that seems like it's coming from under the dash when pushing the truck. Stock turbo spools up fine but when it gets to about 13 lbs. of boost I can hear what sounds like a whooshing sound coming from under the driver' side dash. I've checked all of the vacuum lines under the hood and they all look fine. The turbo to intercooler tube is secure. I've checked under the dash and any vacuum lines seem to be properly attached. Once the whooshing sound starts, it will not build any more boost and will not stop until I get out of the gas. I cannot figure out what could be causing this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Stab it and steer it
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Whooshing sound under dash with boost

Check the IC to TB hose clamps and the hose itself. Did it just start or has the noise been building? It can't be under the dash. However if you want to test, the the connection to all the vac lines under the dash is a small tube near the dist. It could also be a plugged cat causing backpressure.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently replaced the cat. I checked the IC tube and it looks good. A few weeks ago I was at full throttle. When I got off the gas, it felt like the throttle stuck so I stood on the brakes. I heard a similar sound until the truck slowed and I got off the brake. I know it sounds weird but I'm wondering if it's somehow related to the brake booster.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggr View Post
    Our Typhoon develops a whooshing sound that seems like it's coming from under the dash when pushing the truck. Stock turbo spools up fine but when it gets to about 13 lbs. of boost I can hear what sounds like a whooshing sound coming from under the driver' side dash. I've checked all of the vacuum lines under the hood and they all look fine. The turbo to intercooler tube is secure. I've checked under the dash and any vacuum lines seem to be properly attached. Once the whooshing sound starts, it will not build any more boost and will not stop until I get out of the gas. I cannot figure out what could be causing this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    My truck makes this sound under dash when on boost. Sounds like it is coming from the AC/heater controls. You will find there are quite a few vacuum hoses converging in that zone. It is more of sound a balloon makes when air is let out while stretching it's inlet. Builds boost just fine though. Could be the hose connector/nipples are splitting or falling apart. I have yet to turn up the boost any further.
    IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Stab it and steer it
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently replaced the cat. I checked the IC tube and it looks good. A few weeks ago I was at full throttle. When I got off the gas, it felt like the throttle stuck so I stood on the brakes. I heard a similar sound until the truck slowed and I got off the brake. I know it sounds weird but I'm wondering if it's somehow related to the brake booster.
    Well it could, I suppose, be related to the booster. Hard to fully inspect the IC hose without removing it. Are the brakes acting funny? All the vac line converge on the one line by the dist. It's just a slip fit, not even any kind of a fitting. I'd sure want to figure out the stuck throttle. I always like phrases like "it felt like the throttle stuck." I doubt you could stop it if it truly was at full throttle. Under any kind of boost, you have, if lucky, just one brake application before there are no more power brakes. The booster check valve is the "T" at the booster. Easy to replace. It could also be a blown upper to lower intake gasket. That might produce a similar noise. Get some help, open the hood, STAND TO THE SIDE, and power brake the thing to see it you can reproduce the noise.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
    Well it could, I suppose, be related to the booster. Hard to fully inspect the IC hose without removing it. Are the brakes acting funny? All the vac line converge on the one line by the dist. It's just a slip fit, not even any kind of a fitting. I'd sure want to figure out the stuck throttle. I always like phrases like "it felt like the throttle stuck." I doubt you could stop it if it truly was at full throttle. Under any kind of boost, you have, if lucky, just one brake application before there are no more power brakes. The booster check valve is the "T" at the booster. Easy to replace. It could also be a blown upper to lower intake gasket. That might produce a similar noise. Get some help, open the hood, STAND TO THE SIDE, and power brake the thing to see it you can reproduce the noise.
    We just took the truck out and after accelerating and hearing the wooshing sound, I tapped the brakes and it make the sound again. Makes me think it is related to the brake booster. The stuck throttle was because it got caught on the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This same thing was happening with my ty when I first got it. It was indeed my booster. The hose would some how release pressure while under boost. I ended putting some sort of metal bracket (bolted)over the hose connector in the booster and problem went away. One time I boost launched and the hole thing popped out of the booster..Losing my brakes witch was scary for 5 secs.lol
    91' Syclone #1129
    92' Typhoon #1061 (DD)
    06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    11' Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay92Ty View Post
    This same thing was happening with my ty when I first got it. It was indeed my booster. The hose would some how release pressure while under boost. I ended putting some sort of metal bracket (bolted)over the hose connector in the booster and problem went away. One time I boost launched and the hole thing popped out of the booster..Losing my brakes witch was scary for 5 secs.lol
    Which hose was it? The one going from the intake manifold to he booster?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a bad vacuum check valve to me.. Its allowing the boost to pressurize all of the vacuum lines under the dash and once you get up to enough pressure something leaks.. The check valve is under the hood, near the firewall IIRC... Looks like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which hose was it? The one going from the intake manifold to he booster?
    Yup, thats the one. It may or may not be the case with yours but something to check out. Good luck.
    91' Syclone #1129
    92' Typhoon #1061 (DD)
    06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    11' Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I took the check valve off the booster and was able to blow through it both ways, which was obviously wrong. We put a new check valve in and that fixed the problem. No more whooshing sound and the boost is back to where it should be. Thanks for the help everyone.

Thread Information