User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Under the hood insulation?

Under the hood insulation? Under the hood insulation?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Under the hood insulation?

I have done it this way:
    We live in a poor neighbourhood - we can only afford to drive old cars.
    '93 GMC Typhoon #1266
    '70 Plymouth Supercharged Hemi 'cuda
    '68 Ford Thunderbird 429cid BB

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about it. Last time, I ordered a part at the local Chevy dealership and the guy I ordered it from was on vacation when I went back. This was the convo:

ME: Hey. Need to pick up a part I ordered on Friday.

HIM: Ok............who did you order it from?

ME: Uhhhh???? The guy on the end with the gray hair....???

HIM: Oh....... Well he's gone on vacation this week(expecting me to say... Oh ok. I'll come back when he gets back next week)

So I look at him, eyes wide and shoulders shrugging, and say..... Okay???? Did my part come in? Is it here? It's been 5 days?

HIM: Uhhhh. Well, what's your last name?

Mf'er. That should've been his first response. "I need to pick up a part...." "ok, what's the name?". But no. He wanted to try and put me off and not do his job. I get this shit every time I go there.

The time before, I needed a large caulk gun tube of RTV. He says they don't have it and never even looks. The Grey haired guy says yes we do, it's back here. Guy 1 goes, comes back and says no. Not there. We're out. At this point I tell him forget it, I'll go to the GMC dealer. So the gray hair guy tells me wait a sec, walks to the back and brings back a tube.

It was literally 2 spots over. Instead of 1a,it was in 3a. But the lazy ass never even looked. Gray hair made sure to point that out to Lazy Bum. I get the same kind of bs from 2 out of 3 guys there every single time. The gray haired guy is extremely helpful, polite, knows his shit and he's not lazy. The other 2? They do whatever they can to do as little as possible.

Same guy that didn't find the RTV refused to look up a part for me without a Vin. Straight refused. Again, Mr gray hair comes to the rescue. Ugh.
    Last edited by EastCoastBubba; 08-31-2017 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBubba View Post
    Tell me about it. Last time, I ordered a part at the local Chevy dealership and the guy I ordered it from was on vacation when I went back. This was the convo:

ME: Hey. Need to pick up a part I ordered on Friday.

HIM: Ok............who did you order it from?

ME: Uhhhh???? The guy on the end with the gray hair....???

HIM: Oh....... Well he's gone on vacation this week(expecting me to say... Oh ok. I'll come back when he gets back next week)

So I look at him, eyes wide and shoulders shrugging, and say..... Okay???? Did my part come in? Is it here? It's been 5 days?

HIM: Uhhhh. Well, what's your last name?

Mf'er. That should've been his first response. "I need to pick up a part...." "ok, what's the name?". But no. He wanted to try and put me off and not do his job. I get this shit every time I go there.

The time before, I needed a large caulk gun tube of RTV. He says they don't have it and never even looks. The Grey haired guy says yes we do, it's back here. Guy 1 goes, comes back and says no. Not there. We're out. At this point I tell him forget it, I'll go to the GMC dealer. So the gray hair guy tells me wait a sec, walks to the back and brings back a tube.

It was literally 2 spots over. Instead of 1a,it was in 3a. But the lazy ass never even looked. Gray hair made sure to point that out to Lazy Bum. I get the same kind of bs from 2 out of 3 guys there every single time. The gray haired guy is extremely helpful, polite, knows his shit and he's not lazy. The other 2? They do whatever they can to do as little as possible.

Same guy that didn't find the RTV refused to look up a part for me without a Vin. Straight refused. Again, Mr gray hair comes to the rescue. Ugh.
    Hahaha it's gotta be a prerequisite to get hired as a parts guy these days!

Pathetically, I have the VIN of my Ty memorized. A woman at AAA told me in 23 years of doing car insurance she's never had anyone recite a VIN number off the top of their head without hesitation, and then thanked me for saving her a trip out to the parking lot haha. Even worse, I still have the VIN to my old Syclone memorized. Can't remember someone's name 5 seconds after meeting them, but a 17 digit VIN number... no problem!

As for the topic at hand... A guy at QuietRide was awesome enough to send me a small 1'x1' sample of the ABS plastic they use to make the hood liners, on the house. I rigged it up under the hood and positioned it right above the turbo... drove the truck around 3 times about 20 min each, got on the turbo pretty hard to get it good n hot, and so far so good!

I have a cheapy ebay turbo blanket so I'm not sure how much that helps keep the temps down. The plastic does absorb some heat though. Not as much while driving, but more so after you park and the turbo is just radiating heat beneath it. After I parked I came back about 10 minutes later and the plastic was noticeably more plyable but not visually melted or warped. After the 3rd drive, I did notice a little bit of warping at one corner, but that's only because I drilled a hole in it and used one of the existing insulator retainers to attach it, and it kinda sags in that corner.

With a full sized liner properly installed with new retainers securely attaching it to the hood, I don't think you'd have a problem with it melting or warping. Although I can't speak for anyone with a larger turbo. In case anyone is wondering, the sample is about 1/8" thick. I'd probably feel a little better if it was 3/16" thick though. I'll email the dude back and see if they have different thicknesses. Still on the fence about getting one of these. $250 is pretty steep for a piece of plastic and some mylar-esque insulation. But at least it'll look nice when I have the hood up on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck haha.
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information