User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Under the hood insulation?

Under the hood insulation? Under the hood insulation?
  1. #1
    1993 Typhoon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Danielsville, Pa
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Under the hood insulation?

    Does anyone know of a good reason to keep the factory insulation under the hood?

  2. #2
    SyTy Stalker Timbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Medina, OH USA
    Posts
    2,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    If you're trying to remain 100% stock.
    Life's no fun when you're always prepared.
    1993 Typhoon #1952
    Homecoming '08 Go Kart champion

  3. #3
    My ass. Look at it. TYRODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NWNM
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    I regret removing mine...

    The hood shakes like crazy, makes noise, and just feels flimsy. I am constantly cleaning the underside.

    My insulation was pretty stained, thats why I removed it. If I could find a good replacement at a decent price...I'd get one.

    '93 Typhoon White/W #0231
    '92 Chevy Blazer, VIN W. The Hooptie.
    '96 Volvo 850R Wagon. The Turbo Hooptie.

  4. #4
    Forced to by choice blk00z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Eustis, Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    I figure it will help the paint from underhood heat more with it then if I took it out.

    I've also thought about taking it out. But I dont think I will.
    Tim Barrett
    Syclone # 1713 <--12.32 @ 108.39
    bowtie heads, brodix intake, T-76(forever in the works)

    FAST & GAST member.
    08 Shindig

  5. #5
    1993 Typhoon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Danielsville, Pa
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    If the battle of the intercooler is to try and remove heat, why keep insulation that would trap even more heat?

  6. #6
    Forced to by choice blk00z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Eustis, Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    What's 5-10 degrees outside of the engine bay? If it were 50 I'd do it, but hell anything under 20 is pointless to me.
    Tim Barrett
    Syclone # 1713 <--12.32 @ 108.39
    bowtie heads, brodix intake, T-76(forever in the works)

    FAST & GAST member.
    08 Shindig

  7. #7
    1993 Typhoon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Danielsville, Pa
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Your turbo generates a lot of heat in the same area as the intercooler. The insulation is just retaining it there. I havenít heard a good reason for keeping yet. Maybe on a really cold day at -20 below???

  8. #8
    Ton-Eighty DynaGlide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Age
    39
    Posts
    993
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Quote Originally Posted by TYRODD
    The hood shakes like crazy, makes noise, and just feels flimsy. I am constantly cleaning the underside.
    Ditto
    Sam Harwood
    1992 Ty #950 red/red

    http://www.tialsport.com

  9. #9
    Super Member mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,366
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Quote Originally Posted by TYRODD
    I regret removing mine...

    The hood shakes like crazy, makes noise, and just feels flimsy. I am constantly cleaning the underside.

    My insulation was pretty stained, thats why I removed it. If I could find a good replacement at a decent price...I'd get one.


    Do you guys run a bug shield and or did you remove the rubber gasket under the back of the hood... I removed that insulation from my blazer many years ago and never noticed any flimsy ness or shaking...

    IMO that insulation just holds in heat and looks ugly..

    -Matt

  10. #10
    My ass. Look at it. TYRODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NWNM
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattw
    Do you guys run a bug shield and or did you remove the rubber gasket under the back of the hood... I removed that insulation from my blazer many years ago and never noticed any flimsy ness or shaking...

    IMO that insulation just holds in heat and looks ugly..

    -Matt
    Just the carpet-like insulation...

    You'll notice these things at 90+

    If you're really worried about the heat, I recommend a cowl hood or install vents(like Z34 stylee) I can seriously feel no difference in underhood temps before and after removing the insul. But thats just me
    '93 Typhoon White/W #0231
    '92 Chevy Blazer, VIN W. The Hooptie.
    '96 Volvo 850R Wagon. The Turbo Hooptie.

  11. #11
    Administrator SY2932's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cornwood
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    No insulation here.
    Ditto. I removed mine years ago, it holds in heat and can be a fire hazard if anything flammable soaks it and ignites. Glad to have an aftermarket hood without the provision to even put one back on.
    Mike Campbell

    T3 20psi=12.4 @ 107 stock motor & stock turbo. R.I.P myclone

  12. #12
    100in6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    1,278
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    i saw a modification on a car a while back that had a turbo. it had a opening cut in the hood and then had screen put in that was painted the same color. it was a good job and actually looked good. if anyone wanted to try it and hated it afterwards and wanted to go back to a stock hood, i have a spare stocker with pretty perfect black paint i'd sell. this would lose some of the heat and i think might be benificial for guys who run big turbos hard. probably would want to do this in a climate that gets cold or real rainy, but for nice climates it might be kinda cool if done right

    les
    Last edited by SY2932; 07-12-2005 at 08:29 PM.
    kinda quick AWD syclone

    0-60in2.6 0-108in6.66 10.23@137

    my frickin sy is so darn fast the only way i can describe it is it's just "gone..."

  13. #13
    Donating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    in case of spark or fire the plastic retainers melt and the insulation drops onto the engine to smother the fire not provide a fuel.also have seen many w/out and hoods hold a lot of heat.so is it better to have warm insulation near thewater to air intercooler,or a hot steel hood?

  14. #14
    Administrator SY2932's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cornwood
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Quote Originally Posted by 100in6
    i saw a modification on a car a while back that had a turbo. it had a opening cut in the hood and then had screen put in that was painted the same color. it was a good job and actually looked good. if anyone wanted to try it and hated it afterwards and wanted to go back to a stock hood, i have a spare stocker with pretty perfect black paint i'd sell. this would lose some of the heat and i think might be benificial for guys who run big turbos hard. probably would want to do this in a climate that gets cold or real rainy, but for nice climates it might be kinda cool if done right

    les
    Daron H. did a mod similar to this years ago:



    Where the sheet metal met the cladding was starting to get eaten with rust so he surgically "removed" it. It was and still is the best example of a "passive" CAI that I have even seen.
    Mike Campbell

    T3 20psi=12.4 @ 107 stock motor & stock turbo. R.I.P myclone

  15. #15
    Administrator SY2932's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cornwood
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    0
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Under the hood insulation?

    Quote Originally Posted by CC801
    in case of spark or fire the plastic retainers melt and the insulation drops onto the engine to smother the fire not provide a fuel.also have seen many w/out and hoods hold a lot of heat.so is it better to have warm insulation near thewater to air intercooler,or a hot steel hood?
    Now I TRULY feel misinformed . All these years I have been carrying around a big a$$ fire extinguisher behind my seat in case of an engine fire. Now I find out that I should have stuffed my old hood liner behind my seat instead of file 13. Hindsight is 20/20 they always say...
    Mike Campbell

    T3 20psi=12.4 @ 107 stock motor & stock turbo. R.I.P myclone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •