New from WV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from WV

Hi, I'm Stan and I'm from WV. I'm not quite "new" to S series trucks, (I've owned 4, all first gens) just this one!

This bad picture is my new project truck, Sonoma GT #493. She is, as I understand, one of 14 SGTs ever made in the Aspen/Argent color combo. She's showing her age a small bit in some places, but for 231000 miles she is in remarkably good condition and she runs absolutely GREAT. Looking forward to "meeting" the owners of some of these other rare trucks and learning some more about them and their oddities.
    86 S10 2.5 4 speed RCSB
    92 Sonoma GT #493
    93 S10 4.3 Auto RCSB

Re: New from WV

Welcome to the forum.

I hope your plans are to keep it stock and restore it. 14 were made, all 14 do not still exist today. It is the rarest color of SGTs made along with forrest green, which 14 were also made too.

SYO237@GMAIL.COM - PM BOX FULL!
    adam
    91 Sy #237 l 11 Chevy HHR LT l 12 2LT/45th Camaro l ex-Typhoons/SGT #1011, #366, #1181, #299
    l SyTy Shindig Co-Founder l SyTyNats Coordinator l ISTR - SyTy Registry l HowTune

Comment

Congrats on your "new" truck. Where at in WV? I lived just outside of Summersville until I joined the Army years ago.

Comment

Glad to see you are up and running - great truck! More pics and plans to restore/refresh it?
        1992 White/Grey Saudi Typhoon 0546
        1991 Black/Black Saudi Syclone 2612

idle,boost parking, boost launch

I love this video!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys!

This is a restoration project back to original, which all in all should be fairly simple save finding some cladding that is broken in half on the passenger side. The body is rust free and not beaten up at all. Frame is solid and only has light surface rust, which is unheard of in this area, but the truck originated in North Carolina.

T-Bone, I'm just outside Parkersburg. I camp in Summerville a lot, love it down there!

More pics later, it's dark here and work is calling whether I wanna go or not...
          Last edited by GT493; 03-21-2017, 04:18 PM.
          86 S10 2.5 4 speed RCSB
          92 Sonoma GT #493
          93 S10 4.3 Auto RCSB

Comment

Welcome. Nice find!
            Steve
            TY 0482 1992 White/Argent 43k
            SY 1548 Sold '07
            TY 1237 Sold '12
            SY 1700 sold '14
            RIP JACK 1948-2015

Comment

Hadn't seen a SGT in a while. Welcome and nice find!
              IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Hello Dan,

Congrats on your Aspen SoGT purchase, and future restoration.
                Will be watching to see the work needed to get her back to 'like new,' so please post your updates as you go.
                Best of luck - Pete
                4.3 CPI, 4L60, Dana 44 3.73, ZQ8, Work-In-Progress

Comment

Here are a few better pictures of how the truck sits right now. This is just how I bought it, there is a LOT of cleaning to be done inside, but otherwise the interior is in awesome shape for the age except the cracked dash and the messed up console lid. Factory carpeted mats are there and intact, but kind of rough.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  86 S10 2.5 4 speed RCSB
                  92 Sonoma GT #493
                  93 S10 4.3 Auto RCSB

Comment

Looks like a great candidate for restoration. Good luck. I'm sure cladding will pop up somewhere, sometime. It's tough, but it does show up occasionally.

Aside: I wonder if buyers in 1992 were told how many of a particular color were produced...or how many SoGTs were being produced total. 'Or if there were plans for a 93 SoGt.

Reason I ask is because these were definitely "used as intended" by owners and are more often in this kind of shape. They were promoted along side Syclones and Typhoons but were not "coveted" as the other trucks were, even though there are far fewer. Guess performance trumps rarity.
                    Steve
                    TY 0482 1992 White/Argent 43k
                    SY 1548 Sold '07
                    TY 1237 Sold '12
                    SY 1700 sold '14
                    RIP JACK 1948-2015

Comment

Thanks. I think the rear corners can be fixed possibly, but I'll definitely need a passenger side rocker and driver's side bumperette. I think the support behind the front bumper is bent, I am going to have to straighten up that mess somehow.

This is honestly the only Sy/Ty/SGT I have ever seen in person. I stalked this particular truck for about ten YEARS. At first I thought it was a Syclone but then a few years back I got a good look and knew it was something even rarer, even if not more valuable. I finally bought it just a couple weeks ago. The older fellow who had it just used it as a truck, hauling whatever he needed and not really knowing what he had. His daughter, who I think was the second owner, gave it to him in 05 when she brought it here from the Carolinas because a dealer wouldn't​ allow her much money for it on trade due to mileage. It was her DD going 50 miles one way to work and that's where the mileage came from.

It has definitely been used as a truck, though not to the extent of most with north of 200k on the odometer. I even have the factory looking soft tonneau cover from another first gen I had still hanging in the garage. That, along with some properly aligned cladding, some fog lights, (inexplicably missing) and a little paint and this old girl should be looking good enough to cruise to a show and make the guys with Xtreme S10s look like amatuers.
                      86 S10 2.5 4 speed RCSB
                      92 Sonoma GT #493
                      93 S10 4.3 Auto RCSB

Comment

Welcome. Be fun to watch the restoration and end results. Picked the right color combo too

Comment

Working...
                        X