Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Swaybar delete for drag racing

I was just wondering the effects on removing the front
    swaybar on our cars . Iíve done this on all my previous rwd to hook better on launch and for weight transfer . Also the weight reduction is nice . This is my first Awd truck so Iím just wondering if it would help or actually not help . Please chime in if anybody has done this . Thanks .

I have coilovers in mine and removed all sway bars. Iím not sure if itís ok on torsion bars
    John

91 Syclone #644
    87 Jimmy S15 2wd V8 TPI
    86 Z28 355 high modify

Comment

Thanks for the input . I actually went to the track yesterday and took it off before so went . 60ft was the same . Truck felt the same . No change . Truck went 12.1 at 108 with a 1.71 60ft. Itís actually a softer ride up front without it . Itís not as stiff . But yes you can feel the body roll instantly but itís something I can live with since Iím not road racing or auto-crossing . Iíll just leave it off , itís good weight reduction.

Comment

For AWD you do not want the front end to raise up. It might not be that big of deal of 12.1, but as you get faster through the 11's, traction does become more of an issue. You could add suspension limiters to help keep the front end down. My coilovers have limited travel which I think act like suspension limiters. They would not be affected by removing the front sway bar (which I still have installed)
        Dave
        Sy #2661

Comment

Ya I thought about that too, speaking of suspension limiters I just finished installing them 1 hour ago . I accidentally found them on the shelf at autozone .
          I went out for a couple of launches and wow , the car just shoots out foward with no wheelspin and it barely squats . I already had installed the caltrac monoleaf by itself in the rear which also helped a lot . I had a 1.67
          60ft 2 weeks ago with it . Best so far . Hopefully the new bumpstops will help as well

Comment

BTW, I weighed the front swaybar and itís almost 25lbs

Comment

I haven't had a front swaybar on my Sy for years. I have coilovers though.
              Justin "RealFastV6"
              1991 GMC Syclone
              1993 GMC Typhoon

Comment

Mike,
                The front end limiters will work until you get to the High Tens if you have a good set of tires on it. It is just real hard to get a consistent 60 foot until you put some kind of adjustable front end limiter on it. Also it will be a lot easier to drive out of the hole if you can manage the front end lift.
                Thanks,
                Bob

Comment

Ya thanks , I actually took them off because I purchased some coilovers now and Iíve 60fted 1.57 best and many 1.58 and 1.59 with low horsepower , Stock converter , and small turbo . Running 7.39 at 91mph . Low mph because of the small turbo I think .

Comment

Working...
                  X