This forum is fucking embarassing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith,

Really glad to see that you will be doing what you can to keep this site going. To some of us who have been around since day one around 25 or so yrs ago, this place is like home.

Rick Krupa, AKA RKKustom and Sean Krupa 10sec Typhoon his Dad
    1993 GMC Typhoon #1215 (10.71@124MPH Stock Bottom End)
    Typhoon 2.0 Build: 10.49 @129 Forged Internals, Block Fill, 4 bolt, High Compression, Brodix -8 Ported Heads, Custom Cam, Headers, E85, Holley Dominator, Built 4L80e

Comment

Thanks for the update Keith, and all the work you've put in keeping this forum going over the last 17 years since I've been coming here... much like our POS trucks the forum is bound to break and cause problems too haha.

I think some of the newer folks need to understand that it's not "SyTy for life, bruh!" for every single person on here... we're not all in our 20's, with endless amounts of free time, and disposable income billowing from our pockets to just flush down the toilet on these trucks... many of us have other priorities that are far more important than a 25+ year old truck. This truck isn't even as much of a hobby for me as it's an "ahhh fvck... another thing I gotta deal with! ...and why is that muslim woman walking around my truck?!" (story for another time). So if there's a sense of urgency that's lacking to spend night and day fvcking around with a forum that had all but been fleeced by facebook, to appease an ever decreasing population of members... I fully understand, and I don't expect much, if anything at all anymore. Like a good sitcom, these trucks had their day, and are far into the twilight years at this point... and instead of adopting a kid or adding an alien, we got kids who drove one on Forza 5 err whatever game this truck was on, keeping it alive cause it's cheap power and they're as excited about it now as we were 25 years ago.

I don't think the last update killed the forum as much as the loss of Photobucket hosting did... so much of the info on old threads was photo based, that the info was almost worthless cause it didn't make sense without pics... I know that's not the case for every thread, but enough to make an impact.

I'm sure things will pick back up around here once the bugs get worked out, and things get back to normal (as much as they can)...

For now, the one thing I can't get used to is the color scheme haha... I've always had it on the black Syclone theme, this stock light blue/grey theme kills me and my eyes!
      1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
      1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

I said it once I'll say it again, we should have figured out how to get the photos in a dump on here. I remember several years ago Eric was going to try and figure it out. I am not sure what ever happened to that idea but I am sure it would have cost some bucks to deal with. As for Facebook. I am in constant touch with about 6 members who at one point were on here all the time, I asked them why they "left" and the reasoning was surprisingly NOT Facebook. Although I do agree with everything else said and even do agree that Facebook plays a part in all of this, the underlying reason doesn't seem to be Facebook. I'd love to be more involved with this site but I think the people that made it what it was wont be back and it will never be the same. But neither are "we" as you said.

With any luck, we can maintain the site and maybe some day it will turn in to a collector/restorer site of some sort. The days of glory for the SYTY in general are long gone. I would say with the competition that is currently out there. SYTY's just don't seem as appealing these days. Except to people like me of course.
        Mike
        92 TY#0073
        93 TY#0965-SOLD!
        2007 Trailblazer SS - Wife's new ride
        It's tough being narcissistic, especially when you realize that nobody wants to be like you.

Comment

So the search works. Can we fix the lounge next? Why is it that when I post there, none of my posts show up but if I post in OT or even in this thread, they show up just fine. What's with that?

Comment

You can see the Photobucket photos if you use Firefox browser with the add-on that gets around their 3rd party hosting crap.

Also, if you quote someone's posts with Photobucket pics in it, you can add "~original" to the very end of the link and it will show the pic in the quote. For example, www. Photobucket.com/syclone.jpg~original

Comment

Here's a post from FASTBLACKTA @ yellowbullet as an example

Originally posted by FastBlackTA
              I figured I would share a couple of pics of a project I have been working on for the last two years. I bought an ls swapped Syclone in 2013 - it wasn't very nice so I tore it down to the frame and with the help of some good friends and lots of long nights I have managed to make a tad under 800 awhp at around 16 psi. Hoping for four digits once I get some bugs worked out - has torque steer issue making me want to convert to rwd. This is my first turbo header setup and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I have a ton of people to thank and I am going to miss a few I know, but here goes nothing:

King Buick GMC, Brian Tooley Racing (cam, Holley dominator, intake, and other parts), Kurt Urban for lots of advice, converter, and coolant system parts, HFR for tons of advice on wending and Doing firewall mods for 5 inch down pipe I made, Competitive Wiring for all my wiring needs, Fourcade Transmissions, MADMAN for all suspension and rear brake stuff, Tom at Sportmachines for tons of Syclone advice and parts.....I know I am forgetting some names here and I apologize to those I'm leaving out.

I have a ton of time in this project which doesn't come easy in my line of work. Just have some more bugs to work out and can hopefully get where I want it to be.

Comment

And the modified links

Originally posted by FastBlackTA
                I figured I would share a couple of pics of a project I have been working on for the last two years. I bought an ls swapped Syclone in 2013 - it wasn't very nice so I tore it down to the frame and with the help of some good friends and lots of long nights I have managed to make a tad under 800 awhp at around 16 psi. Hoping for four digits once I get some bugs worked out - has torque steer issue making me want to convert to rwd. This is my first turbo header setup and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I have a ton of people to thank and I am going to miss a few I know, but here goes nothing:

King Buick GMC, Brian Tooley Racing (cam, Holley dominator, intake, and other parts), Kurt Urban for lots of advice, converter, and coolant system parts, HFR for tons of advice on wending and Doing firewall mods for 5 inch down pipe I made, Competitive Wiring for all my wiring needs, Fourcade Transmissions, MADMAN for all suspension and rear brake stuff, Tom at Sportmachines for tons of Syclone advice and parts.....I know I am forgetting some names here and I apologize to those I'm leaving out.

I have a ton of time in this project which doesn't come easy in my line of work. Just have some more bugs to work out and can hopefully get where I want it to be.

Comment

What would it cost to fix this place?

Comment

Unfortunately as I get older and my tolerance of crap service drops to zero, I cant throw money at problems to fix some of them. Id pay 1.5 times as much for better internet, same for a decent cell phone company ( you know one whos phones actually made decent PHONE CALLS) Id join in and throw some money in to make syty useable again. The search works... kinda, it logs me out every time I open a search result and errors out... I just gave up

Comment

Hello friends,

Wow, all above-noted comments have merit.
                      Though I am a non-techie computer geek, I do have an electronics technician diploma from my (first) trade skills training institution many years ago as well as having worked on electronic office equipment.
                      All the while, and since those early years, I have consistently been wrenching on numerous vehicles but mostly focused on my friends Fox Body Mustangs and my own S-Series vehicles over the past 20 years.

I don't understand the technical (coding?) reasons why the old 'syty.net' site needed the stated "upgrade/replacement" to obtain access to the library of information stored therein for all to see.
                      So many 'tricks' 'suggestions' 'upgrades' and 'repairs' to these trucks and SUV's that I have not been able to access here on this 'new' site.
                      I am asking why was the change/switch necessary, and, if the old site were still running would it still be chugging along as seemlessly as it was just a year ago?
                      I miss the main screen that showed "Recent Posts" and all the convenience of navigating the information of that site format.
                      I will say thank you Keith for keeping this beast running and I hope you can make this site as good as the old site but with the more modern tools for coding or what ever was the reason for the change/swap.
                      Best of luck, Pete
                      4.3 CPI, 4L60, Dana 44 3.73, ZQ8, Work-In-Progress

Comment

Working...
                      X