No announcement yet.

Ty 0073 Bowtie Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy hell, this thing is kicking my ass here. My exhaust guy wont work on cat less cars anymore. So I put it up on the lift and did it myself. I installed a 4" chrome tip and screwed that up pretty good, it looks like a chrome dick hanging off the back of my truck

Anyway, I got in today and had hoped to drive it to the car wash but, one of my guys at the shop were saying they saw sparks coming from under the truck. When the truck is running I can hear a loud screeching sound, metal to metal no doubt. I put back up on the lift and checked it out. Definitely the flex plate rubbing the starter gear at tip in.

I went ahead and shimmed the starter. Then I left and came back about an hour later and smelled fuel really bad. I looked under and saw it all over the passenger side so I put it back down and primed the pump. Found one of the AN fitting joints leaking. Replaced that. The I get the truck off the lift and fire it up. I drove it around the complex and it seemed OK, needs severe tuning of course. I got it back in and was going to make a short drive to Autozone to get some lug nuts. Wouldn't you know the starter starts making this horrible grinding sound so I put it BACK UP!! I had to remove a few shims. Got it off and drove it to AZ. It went OK. The engine is very shaky, truck is super laggy, turbo makes no noise. I am not going to get too critical until I get some tuning time in but so far, it's ROUGH. Got it to idle on its own though so that's good.

I'll report back soon!
    Mike
    92 TY#0073
    93 TY#0965-SOLD!
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Wife's new ride
    It's tough being narcissistic, especially when you realize that nobody wants to be like you.

Comment

• More problems! I drove the truck home last week. It was OK. I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out why it woudln't shift in to first, turns out I had the wrong DRAC in there Ha! So on my way home I kept hearing this awful screeching sound. I was convinced it was the starter hitting the flex plate. Turns out it was the turbo. The thing is toast. I know I didn't buy it that way so I started looking for reasons. For some reason, I have no oil coming from the feed line from the block. I have it at a shop getting looked at right now. I hope it is rebuild-able since they don't make this turbo anymore and the only 76mm PTE sells is a BB for $3200. So here it sits again. Just waiting.

Here it is in my driveway after a quick car wash

Driving it again was a good feeling. I couldn't believe the heads turning and people giving "that look". Once I get the turbo back (or get a new one I guess) I am really hoping this thing will be driveable. I got insurance and everything! Another issue is the rack and pinion. It has a 1991 Mustang rack. I lost a good of my turning radius. That was really surprising. I may ultimately get rid of rack set up and go back to a ZQ8 box and conventional steering. Truthfully, I think it is more of a cool factor at this point as I don't see a huge difference in "sturdiness" of steering. It turns fast though. It is exactly 2 turns from lock to lock. Still, not worth the hassle IMO.
      Mike
      92 TY#0073
      93 TY#0965-SOLD!
      It's tough being narcissistic, especially when you realize that nobody wants to be like you.

Comment

• Refresh?
        Mike
        92 TY#0073
        93 TY#0965-SOLD!

Comment

• Been driving the TY this last weekend and I drove it to work today. The tune is in terrible shape, mice ate through more than carpet, I have a few electrical items not working. I also have no WB, I even replaced it along the sensor. At any rate, I did some "ear tuning" this evening and at least got it to where I can drive it around without using two feet. I am hoping to ditch the rack and pinion, entire cooling system (swap for stock) and change header configuration on the driver side. Yay, another 2k to spend for nothing!
          Mike
          92 TY#0073
          93 TY#0965-SOLD!

Comment

• IMO the stock radiator is marginal. Might consider something else.
            If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Comment

Working...
            X