Gt 285

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gt 285

I thought I would post some pictures and thoughts here if for no other reason, to be able to look back in the future.

Facebook Ad that started it:
    It had three flat tires from the baby momma, and did not run. Center console was broken. Key switch was missing and had a piece of pipe stuck in it. No battery (owner sold that because he needed money). It took him 15 minutes to get all the trash and junk out of the back of the truck before I loaded it up. Someone had done a real valiant effort at rattle canning the truck flat black. They even got into the jams (damnit). The reason I bought it was because it was a solid rust free truck with a clean florida title. It is a real GT and worth saving.
    Last edited by randy merritt; 12-30-2018, 07:56 AM.
    sigpic1991 Syclone 2373, With a few mods

I was wondering what it was you were saving.

How'd you realize it was a GT?
    Justin "RealFastV6"
    1991 GMC Syclone
    1993 GMC Typhoon

Comment

The seats shown in the pic. Plus someone posted it on our facebook page.

Comment

I got the motor running with a new spider injector and new fuel tank/pump.

Comment

And cleaned up the interior as best I could. Plans for now are to swap in a sy/ty motor and drive it around.

Comment

I swapped out the bed with one I had in the back yard from Rob's S10 parts truck. Less sanding to deal with and the original bed had a hole cut to access the fuel pump.

Last edited by randy merritt; 12-30-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Right now, I am working on paint and body work. Just for something to do.

Comment

Door panels cleaned up and painted

Comment

Did some body work yesterday. I think I will just replace the driver's door like I did the passenger. I would rather have a door with no body work in it.

Comment

I welded up the holes drilled in the bed. This is where cargo tie downs were installed.

Comment

I'm happy to see this truck getting fixed up and not being parted out. Good job on saving this one.
                      keith - syty.net Admin

Comment

Right Keith you need to get on that Teal !
                        SY 2588-AutoX Stock,Coilovers,ATR pitbull
                        SY-Mutant-Dunno abomination But I love it.
                        Sy-2177-Beauty and the Beast. A2A,Code59,SSBC,2800 Stall

Comment

I went ahead and cut the new core support and fitted the front mount ATA. Just waiting on the Sy motor to arrive so I can break it down and sent it to the machine shop. I will also be rebuilding the trans and getting a new TC.

Comment

Since I have a motor on its way from Aaron, and cladding on its way from Ken, I decided to start the tear down yesterday. I removed the bed (I will have to upgrade the fuel pump for the Sy motor). I started pulling the trans, and hope to have it out today. BTW, it was only $250 to ship the motor cross country using Fastenall.
                            I will paint the firewall after the motor has been removed. The old core support is beat up and will go to the junk pile.

I also scored a pretty nice driver door from the local junk yard ($40) on Friday. It is pretty flat and rust free (slight surface rust on the pillar). It is a manual window door, so I will have to drill the hole for the power harness, but I had to do this to the other door, and it is pretty easy. There is a dimple in the door that tells you where to center the hole saw. I think it is 1-1/2" hole.

Rob did a little blocking on the door Friday night, and I will have to fill a few low spots. No big deal, I love blocking.

Last edited by randy merritt; 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Goals for the day accomplished by noon, and installed vac purge valve on Denym's truck in the middle.

Trans out.

Note to self: remove TV cable with trans. Jack trans up little, then remove cross member. Dropping the trans down a little without the cross member makes the trans to motor bolts very easy to get to. Remove cooler lines from rad so trans can be dropped down to make it easy to get to them on the trans. Re install should be the same. Probably easier to install trans before motor, as the trans dipstick is a real bitch to get on properly with the motor in. Remember what a hard time you had with the last trans install on a syclone trying to align the dipstick bracket with the belhousing bolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X