Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group purchase Torsen type front limited slip differential - COLLECTING DEPOSITS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Group purchase Torsen type front limited slip differential - COLLECTING DEPOSITS

I have a set of 308 gears that I picked up for testing. We are going to see if they fit on the torsen carrier and if there is enough adjustment on it. We will see... But we have 3.42's ready and they have been proven...

Last edited by fivetodrive; 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM.
    Aaron T.
    Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psa99a8e26.gif

Comment

• Re: Group purchase Torsen type front limited slip differential - COLLECTING DEPOSITS

OK, let me know. I will be going turbo 400 in the next few months, when we get the 4472 input. Ed Hess had 3.08s in his Syclone back in the day, but maybe just used factory carrier?
      My fourth SyTy:
      92 Black Ty, Vortecs, PTE67GTQ, 415 cam, Atr headers, John Waller 700r, McCoy A2A, e85, Holley Efi, Ls1 brakes front/rear, Zr1 wheels.

Comment

I'm interested in a differential if still available. I don't have mine out yet, but if I need someone to install & setup when I do would it be possible to have you or your partners do it.
        Thanks

Comment

We have a few torsens in stock and are ready to build one for you. Why dont you give me a call and we can work out the details. 720-933-7635
          Aaron T.
          Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

Originally posted by Briancb1 View Post
            The numerically lower 3.08 gears use a different series carrier I believe.
            I have a project which will end up requiring the TrailBlazer oil pan and front diff for an LS engine.

Do we know if the Quaife units fit that case?

Also, my project would work best with 3.08 gears... I guess I have to do some looking to verify whether that ratio uses the same carrier as the other ratios.

Comment

Hey Will...
              We do have trailblazer SS front differentials with the torsen unit. The 3.08 gears will not fit in the case. the pinion gear is enormous and will not fit. we have tried... We do have 3.42 3.73 and 4.11 gears and have all of them in stock! Send me a message with what you need since I could not read the post.

Thanks

Aaron
              Aaron T.
              Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

Originally posted by fivetodrive View Post
                Hey Will...
                We do have trailblazer SS front differentials with the torsen unit. The 3.08 gears will not fit in the case. the pinion gear is enormous and will not fit. we have tried... We do have 3.42 3.73 and 4.11 gears and have all of them in stock! Send me a message with what you need since I could not read the post.

Thanks

Aaron

Interesting. My application will be BMW E46 M3 with front suspension and subframe from E46 330Xi or similar.
                BMW has their large case rear end (good for over 800 HP) available with 3.07 gears, which are actually exactly the same tooth counts as the GM 3.08's. The closest BMW has to a 3.42 is 3.45, and 3.73 and 4.11 are too low for my intended application.

I was wondering idly if a spacer between the case halves would allow use of the 3.08 gears.

Comment

Hey Will...

Thanks

Aaron
                  I couldn't send you a PM because your inbox is full.
                  So for the earlier style front diffs which use the 3.08 gears, the 3.08's use a different housing than the 3.42's or a different carrier?

Comment

I did not get the entire assembly. I just got the gears. The pinion gear is huge and makes any adjustment for a good pattern extremely difficult.
                    Aaron T.
                    Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

Not impossible, just extremely difficult?

So I'll have to find a 3.08 assembly and a 3.42 TB diff and see if I can get the two together for a party before I order the Torsen.

I haven't read all 17 pages... Who's making this unit?

Comment

How much do the 3.08's miss by in the TB housing?

The way the housing is split, a 0.060 laser cut steel (or aluminum) shim could go between the housing halves. Add 0.060 shim behind the opposite carrier bearing and there's 0.060" more distance between the ring and pinion to use to get a good contact pattern.

Comment

are these units still available?
                          Mutant-X is going to be a 96 4x4 blazer converted to AWD with a ZL1 supercharged 6.0L I'm also converting to the 98-up core support, lights, and bumper, lowered stance and a factory Xtreme body kit, and an Xtreme RAW 1 piece rollpan.

Comment

Interesting. The bummer is that we will waste a rebuild kit to even try. I talked to John and he said that if someone really wants this to give him a $200 DEPOSIT to go through the process of attempting this. He just does not want to go through the entire process and then sit on something for a year! We have a set of 3.08 and plenty of 3.42 gears...
                            Last edited by fivetodrive; 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM.
                            Aaron T.
                            Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              How much do the 3.08's miss by in the TB housing?

The way the housing is split, a 0.060 laser cut steel (or aluminum) shim could go between the housing halves. Add 0.060 shim behind the opposite carrier bearing and there's 0.060" more distance between the ring and pinion to use to get a good contact pattern.
                              Interesting. The bummer is that we will waste a rebuild kit to even try. I talked to John and he said that if someone really wants this to give him a $200 DEPOSIT to go through the process of attempting this. He just does not want to go through the entire process and then sit on something for a year! We have a set of 3.08 and plenty of 3.42 gears...
                              I assume you're replying to this.

If I could borrow or buy your gears, I'd check it out myself. The TB diffs can be had pretty cheap... but I'm in Afghanistan right now and won't be able to check try out the shim concept until November or December.

Once the shims are verified to work, I can do the reverse engineering and design the shim to go between the case halves.

Comment

The problem is due to the size of the pinion gear. It is massive...
                                Aaron T.
                                Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

Working...
                                X