Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group purchase Torsen type front limited slip differential - COLLECTING DEPOSITS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Group purchase Torsen type front limited slip differential - COLLECTING DEPOSITS

Originally posted by fivetodrive View Post
    The problem is due to the size of the pinion gear. It is massive...
    I get that. I'm proposing a way possibly to work around it. By shimming the case halves apart, I can increase the distance between the ring gear and the pinion and allow for a bigger pinion. What I don't know is: How far apart do the case halves have to be shimmed to get a good pattern? 0.050"? 0.060"? 0.500"? 0.600"?

The only way to tell is to start trying. Install the pinion and assemble the unit with washers in between the case halves and extra shim behind the left carrier bearing... Once there's a good pattern, measure everything and figure out what the thinnest shim between the case halves can be.

Comment

• Re: Group purchase Torsen type front limited slip differential - COLLECTING DEPOSITS

It still costs us over $100 in bearings and parts to even try... I could sell you the gears if you want. They have already been cryo treated...
      Aaron T.
      Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy
      http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psa99a8e26.gif

Comment

I get that too. I'm fine with using whatever bearings and shims show up in the TB 3.42 diff as set-up parts for the fit check. Clearly I'd have to get some extra sets of shims to get it set up correctly, but that's what McMaster-Carr is for.

How much do you want for the gears?
        Have they been WPC'd or micro-polished as well as cry-treated?
        Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 08-03-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

This is an upper limit, because the actual pitch diameter of the ring gear is smaller than 7.25", but...

Assuming the ring gear's pitch diameter is 7.25", then:
          3.42 pinion pitch diameter = 2.120"
          3.08 pinion pitch diameter = 2.354"

So the 3.08 pinion is only 0.234" larger in diameter than the 3.42 pinion, which is 0.117" larger on the radius. That means 1/8" shims between the TB diff case halves should be more than enough.

Of course that also @$$umes that the 3.08 ring gear isn't any thicker than the 3.42 ring gear. I don't know how far GM moved the flange for the 3.08 carrier, so I can't say whether that's a valid assumption or not.

Comment

I will ask john to measure them tomorrow
            Aaron T.
            Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

• You have any complete units left?

Comment

• Yes we can build you a complete unit ready to bolt in. Call or text me at 7209337635
                Aaron T.
                Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

• Five to drive....please contact me about settling up. I' like to get my complete assembly this spring.

Thanks Aaron
                  "IF women don't find you handsome at least they can find you handy, but I guess I got best of both worlds I'm told"

Build #1917 blk/blk

Comment

• No problem aaron. Text me and we will het it started.
                    Aaron T.
                    Syclone #1084 AKA Crispy

Comment

Working...
                    X