Tiny paint flaws=tiny crows feet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny paint flaws=tiny crows feet?

Giving the Ty a much needed buff yesterday when I noticed this all over the hood. The biggest marks are only about a millimeter which seems pretty small to be crows feet, no?. I went over one little section multiple times with rubbing compound and there was no difference in the marks. I didn't venture into wet sanding since the rubbing compound didn't work. The weird thing is there's none of this on the tops of the fenders. I haven't buffed out the roof yet to see if it's up there as well.

From what I've read, crow's feet are typically caused from a poorly prepped repaint, but I don't see any signs of the hood being repainted.

Anyone run into this before? Is it fixable? Or I just gotta deal with it till I have money burning a hole in my pocket for a paint job?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170918_170707.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1660095
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Re: Tiny paint flaws=tiny crows feet?

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
    Giving the Ty a much needed buff yesterday when I noticed this all over the hood. The biggest marks are only about a millimeter which seems pretty small to be crows feet, no?. I went over one little section multiple times with rubbing compound and there was no difference in the marks. I didn't venture into wet sanding since the rubbing compound didn't work. The weird thing is there's none of this on the tops of the fenders. I haven't buffed out the roof yet to see if it's up there as well.

From what I've read, crow's feet are typically caused from a poorly prepped repaint, but I don't see any signs of the hood being repainted.

Anyone run into this before? Is it fixable? Or I just gotta deal with it till I have money burning a hole in my pocket for a paint job?
    [ATTACH]9734[/ATTACH]

I have also noticed these on my Sy as well. I used 1000, 1500, and 2000 and sanded with water. I then buffed out with compound and mirror glaze (3M). It helped it. There is really nothing that will remove them completely except to sand and re-paint. This was an inherent issue with the Honda. We did a lot of warranty jobs and the only thing which fixed the crows feet was to sand the paint down and re-paint. Hope this helps.
    Former owner of Syclone # 1364

Comment

I had it on a black s10 I used to own. Same thing like mentioned above.. Sanding and buffing made it look a bit better but never really fixed the problem. Most likely will needed a re'paint.
      91' Syclone #1129
      92' Typhoon #1061 (DD)
      11' Toyota Camry SE

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I went by a local detail shop today who also confirmed what you guys said. Bummer!

I'll just buff it out the best I can and live with it. Far better things I'd rather waste 5-6k on than a paint job.
        1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
        1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

If this is original untouched/paint, the original paint is single stage black. My paint on my SY just started to peal away on the roof, so I repainted it in 2 stage.
          Former owner of Syclone 613
          2005 Silverado crew SS
          1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

Working...
          X