aldl interface without 12 volts.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aldl interface without 12 volts.

has anybody come across any sort of aldl interface hardware that doesn't require 12v to run it? i've seen all the schematics on the net and a large number of different hardware pieces, but they all require some sort of 12v source to power them.

does anybody know of a "passive" aldl stream converter that doesn't require power? i'm guessing the chips need 12v to run properly?
    Items Wanted
    Exhaust housing & downpipe to fit PTE PT52 turbo | Uncut tail light harness for a Syclone

I've been researching this a little. You can steal small amounts of current from the serial port.
    See this link
    Iím going to pull some parts together and give it a try.
    Wade

Godspeed David.

Comment

I have an ALDL cable that doesn't use a 12v source (cigarette lighter, etc.) I have no idea who made it or how though; I got it used...
      1993 GMC Typhoon
      Forest Green and Grey

Comment

you could use the usb port to power the circuit..

Im not sure how the circuit to do the conversion will actually get its power if you don't have a 12v source..

I guess you could use a battery or something.
        Who's afraid of the big bad smoosh....

aka Eric M
        04 honda fit, 04 Piaggio liberty, 01 vespa gts
        92 black/black ty #1677
        91 syclone #0416 *sold*
        will not buy from Terrence

Comment

diacom cables don't have an external power supply (believe they get it from the parallel port). i'm looking for something to run off a serial port, but without the current draw on a battery powered computer and something a little neater than having some huge mess of wires hanging out of the cigarette lighter (or whatever source).

if it's not possible, i'll look at the 12v power from the truck. just wondering if it was possible to do it without needing a 12v source (maybe 9 volt battery)?

hmmmm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

This cable supports 160 & 8192 bps ECM data streaming.

No external power source required !!! ( powered from PC/Laptop RS232 port).

Our cable have built-in 10K resistor required by MAF systems and some ECMs.

It simple to change a mode of work with this option - instruction come with a cable.
          notice how they say that datamaster supports the syty (which is true), but not whether their cable will communicate with the 7749. wonder if any of the ecm gurus can chime in here.
          Items Wanted
          Exhaust housing & downpipe to fit PTE PT52 turbo | Uncut tail light harness for a Syclone

Comment

canadian

if it's not possible, i'll look at the 12v power from the truck. just wondering if it was possible to do it without needing a 12v source (maybe 9 volt battery)?
            I've made a few cables using a 9v battery.

BTW did you see my link?

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...s/rspower.html
            Wade

Godspeed David.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 TY 2185
              what software did it work with?
              Items Wanted

Comment

Originally posted by canadian
                Originally posted by 93 TY 2185
                what software did it work with?
                DataMaster
                Wade

Godspeed David.

Comment

Im pretty sure all the chips needed to convert the data over to serial need power.
                  Ian.

91 Syclone | 05 Elise | 13 FR-S

howtune.com
                  sytyarchives.com

Comment

Originally posted by SyTyArchives
                    Im pretty sure all the chips needed to convert the data over to serial need power.
                    most likely +/- 5v..

so technically they could grab it from the parallel port, I think the serial port also have a 5v output..

so i guess it is possible..
                    Who's afraid of the big bad smoosh....

aka Eric M
                    04 honda fit, 04 Piaggio liberty, 01 vespa gts
                    92 black/black ty #1677
                    91 syclone #0416 *sold*
                    will not buy from Terrence

Comment

I did some research on this when I made my cables (http://cable.invisibill.net/). If I remember correctly, not all serial ports will provide power properly using the methods described. Neither parallel or serial have a direct +5V. USB does, but the data capturing stuff seems to be flaky on USB.

I plan to hardwire the cable into my truck. I'll get data and ground at the diagnostic plug, and run one wire over to the fusebox for 12V.

Hmmm, if I can get my laptop to hold a charge for a bit, I'll see how well it works with TechEdge's power-via-serial method (linked from my page).

Syclone 1456 - Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore
                      Syclone 0187 - It's not pink! - For Sale
                      The truck shudders. It seems to clench up against the brake. A hissing, whirring, hurting tornado of a sound builds under the black hood.

Comment

I just bought my parts for making a few cables last night. It's using the Maxim MAX232 chip. It also uses a 5V regulator to use power out of the serial port. I think if you don't use the regulator, it could be problematic. The schematics I'm using are here (actually Bill, I got this from one of your earlier posts):

http://www.home.aone.net.au/techedge...e/8192schm.gif

The MAX232 seems to be a pretty common IC used in active serial port interfaces. I should be assembling it this week. I'll post my results.

Anyone know where to source a molded ALDL connector?? If not, I'm also thinking of permanently mounting the adapter in the truck with just a serial port in the glove box.

BTW: Parts for 3 cables (minus the serial cable and project box) was $20.24 at a local shop. Pretty cheap.
                        Dan
                        Factory Five GTM #31

Comment

Re: aldl interface without 12 volts.

Originally posted by canadian
                          has anybody come across any sort of aldl interface hardware that doesn't require 12v to run it? i've seen all the schematics on the net and a large number of different hardware pieces, but they all require some sort of 12v source to power them.

does anybody know of a "passive" aldl stream converter that doesn't require power? i'm guessing the chips need 12v to run properly?
                          I've never externally powered any data cables, either DM or Diacom.
                          The DM cable has a plug only for the few laptops that may be out there
                          that can't drive the handshake lines well enough to provide ~100 mA
                          of current.

If you really wanna, use a 9v battery as was suggested above... I guess
                          I wouldn't bother.

Diacom does simliar things... uses the printer handshake lines to drive
                          signals Hi/low. It has an advantage of not having to convert from RS232
                          signaling levels to TTL. (Like all the serial cables do)

I made my own cable with a MAX 232 years ago when the chips first
                          started becoming available. Have yet to find a laptop that won't power
                          it sufficiently, but I also use 2 lines (through a diode) to power the cable.
                          Plenty of current capability.

Later,

Dig
                          Dig
                          11.94@114- 100% stock motor, 20G, 9/11.
                          Built Motor, L35s, cam.... ?

Comment

Re: aldl interface without 12 volts.

Originally posted by turbodig
                            but I also use 2 lines (through a diode) to power the cable.
                            I noticed that it does use two lines........ good call. 8)
                            Dan
                            Factory Five GTM #31

Comment

Originally posted by PPI Typhoon
                              I just bought my parts for making a few cables last night. It's using the Maxim MAX232 chip. It also uses a 5V regulator to use power out of the serial port. I think if you don't use the regulator, it could be problematic. The schematics I'm using are here (actually Bill, I got this from one of your earlier posts):

http://www.home.aone.net.au/techedge...e/8192schm.gif

The MAX232 seems to be a pretty common IC used in active serial port interfaces. I should be assembling it this week. I'll post my results.

Anyone know where to source a molded ALDL connector?? If not, I'm also thinking of permanently mounting the adapter in the truck with just a serial port in the glove box.

BTW: Parts for 3 cables (minus the serial cable and project box) was $20.24 at a local shop. Pretty cheap.

I didn't use the regulator, I don't think.. mine worked. There are versions
                              of the MAX23x line that will accept higher voltage on VCC. I'll have to
                              look at my old cable. I built it for a VB app I was writing years ago.

That schematic looks pretty close to the same thing I have wired up.
                              Pretty much the app note from MAXIM, with the power supply part added.

One thing - gotta make sure the S/W you use is setting both those lines
                              to +12. If it's only one, it likely won't have enough drive.

Dig
                              Dig
                              11.94@114- 100% stock motor, 20G, 9/11.
                              Built Motor, L35s, cam.... ?

Comment

Working...
                              X