Torque Converter Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Converter Recommendations

I just dropped off the trans for a heavier than stock rebuild out of the X-Cab SoGT and am looking for any torque converter recommendations.
    I've been told that the full throttle chattering is probably the the trans not running correctly(+ it's the last thing I've rebuilt or replaced w/ heavier than stock). It has the 6+ psi supercharger, so not needing for 400hp. I've looked into off the shelf replacements from Summit & Jegs and the Ty & SY's are the same as a HD for my standard 4.3L. That may be where I go, but if anyone has any info on a great converter being I don't want to drop the trans again.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by fauXGT; 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM.
    Chip
    Sonoma GT #15 Teal
    '91 Sonoma ext cab GT conversion

Sir,
    TCS make a 9/11 that seems to work pretty good as a lockup convertor. Not sure of your future goals but I have hade one in my truck for a few years. Truck was a high ten low eleven second truck with a/the small motor combo.
    Bob

Comment

Sir,
      TCS make a 9/11 that seems to work pretty good as a lockup convertor. Not sure of your future goals but I have hade one in my truck for a few years. Truck was a high ten low eleven second truck with a/the small motor combo.
      Bob

Comment

What in the world just happened!!!!!!

Comment

A worm hole.
          Chip
          Sonoma GT #15 Teal

Comment

A worm hole.
            Chip
            Sonoma GT #15 Teal

Comment

I"m not looking for any big times....far from. I just want to finish this project and start enjoy the driving of it. I've heard some converters are just junk and a big waste of $$. Been recommended Hughes brand from the trans guy, but he also builds race and drag transmissions. Very reasonable on his cost, but when I put the thing back in, I want to be done. He suggested asking the forum to see what worked for Sy/Ty's Being the same 4.3 w/ 700r4, and my boost won't be as high. FYI.... Hughes HD converter for stock 4.3 w/ 700r4 is same as Sy/Ty for off the shelf in Jegs or Summit.
              Chip
              Sonoma GT #15 Teal

Comment

I would not go with Hughes...The PI vigilante would be a better choice.
                10.4@127mph-stock ECM
                542 rwhp/ 608 Torque. PTE 67-V6.
                E85-TT-408"-AWD/4L80e under construction...

Comment

I carry the Edge Workhorse 12" torque converter for this application. Depending on how you drive here, would determine the stall. The stall can be between 1,800 rpm and 2,400 rpm on this. The more aggressive you drive, the more stall you will want. With a supercharger, the stall is not as critical here, as with a turbo or naturally aspirated in most cases. They come with a two year warranty, and go for $375.00 delivered to your door. Let me know if I can be of help on this.

Comment

I had a local shop build mine. It's a 10" semi-billet with a 3500rpm stall.
                    I run a 6266 and a bigger cam and pretty much only a race application so the rpm is probably better around 2800rpm.

Comment

Depends on your combo's powerband, IMHO.
                      don't want it kicking in too soon or too late. I'd suggest 200-300 rpm before peak numbers. That will get you close to the sweet spot when it kicks in and engine speed is reduced due to gear change.
                      IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Working...
                      X