Oil restrictor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil restrictor

Rebuilt engine. Great oil pressure but keeps getting worse the more I drive. Removed engine and the closer to the front of engine the worse the mains got. Had to turn crank from original rebuild of .010 to .030 to remove grooves. Rebuilt everything again and same issue.
    I also had lots of oil to drivers head during priming and hot valve lash setting. I pulled engine again and pulled lifter galley plugs and there are no restrtors. I am being told that there should be restrictors in the galleys to keep oil to the mains. Is this correct?
    Not putting miles on your Sy/Ty so it will be more appealing to the next owner is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she will be more appealing to her next boyfriend.

I don't think there is anyplace to put restrictors in a V6. (Somebody?) Different oiling system than the V8. What is great oil pressure? What is the oil pressure when at idle, engine hot? What grade of oil? When the motor was rebuilt were the galley plugs removed and the passages cleaned? Were the plugs in the front, behind the cam gear installed? (If not you probably wouldn't have any oil pressure.) However if someone has installed those plugs with some sort of bleed hold in them that could be an issue. I forget which galley supplies the mains but if you have lots of oil to the drivers head does that mean there is none to the pas side head? The rockers are oiled though restrictors in the lifters then through hollow pushrods. Running you'll see oil but cranking not so much. Both sides should see virtually the same amount. I don't have my book to look but if I remember correctly one galley, I think the pas side, gets its oil from a grove around the rear cam bearing. If you're not getting oil to the right of the motor that has to checked (At least check to see if I'm correct first.) Next, IF, big if, the mains get their oil from the pas side galley then maybe you're onto something.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Don W. View Post
      I don't think there is anyplace to put restrictors in a V6. (Somebody?) Different oiling system than the V8. What is great oil pressure? What is the oil pressure when at idle, engine hot? What grade of oil? When the motor was rebuilt were the galley plugs removed and the passages cleaned? Were the plugs in the front, behind the cam gear installed? (If not you probably wouldn't have any oil pressure.) However if someone has installed those plugs with some sort of bleed hold in them that could be an issue. I forget which galley supplies the mains but if you have lots of oil to the drivers head does that mean there is none to the pas side head? The rockers are oiled though restrictors in the lifters then through hollow pushrods. Running you'll see oil but cranking not so much. Both sides should see virtually the same amount. I don't have my book to look but if I remember correctly one galley, I think the pas side, gets its oil from a grove around the rear cam bearing. If you're not getting oil to the right of the motor that has to checked (At least check to see if I'm correct first.) Next, IF, big if, the mains get their oil from the pas side galley then maybe you're onto something.

Oil pressure cold is 50 at idle and 5 hot with 5/30 oil. The galley plugs were removed and bore brushes were used in all galley passages by me. Front and rear plugs were in and passenger side head had what I would call "normal" oil to all rockers (steady flow with some splatter when setting lash). Mains oil off driver's side galley and oil flows around distributor base to passenger side galley. Engine is coming out tomorrow and i'll use a prime tool and try to find the problem.

Phil
      Not putting miles on your Sy/Ty so it will be more appealing to the next owner is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she will be more appealing to her next boyfriend.

Comment

Just my opinion but I wouldn't put 5w30 in anything I owned. 5 psi at idle is quite low. I had a case many years ago on a big truck motor when I was sent the wrong size bearings. Did you plastigauge the bearings? You're correct, I forgot the dist. (Trying to remember since we're still not home from the fires.) Was the OP always like this? Might be a bad oil pump.

Comment

Just my opinion but I wouldn't put 5w30 in anything I owned. 5 psi at idle is quite low. I had a case many years ago on a big truck motor when I was sent the wrong size bearings. Did you plastigauge the bearings? You're correct, I forgot the dist. (Trying to remember since we're still not home from the fires.) Was the OP always like this? Might be a bad oil pump.

It had 5/30 for @250 miles for break-in. Hot idle was @15. Switched to Mobil 1 20/50 with worse results. Drained some and put quart of Lucas oil stabizer in and got 35 psi hot idle but that just increases the viscosity so no surprise.

I did plastigage bearings and had .0015 clearance which is minimum but should have helped pressure. Iíve used 2 blocks done by 2 different machine shops, new bearings (different brands even), new pump(different brand too). The only things unchanged are heads, can and lifters. I am having trouble accepting I messed up twice.

Phil

Comment

Still running the factory oiling system, ex filter and cooler? Maybe a restriction there. Totally off the wall but check the clearance between the dist bore in the block against the diameter of the dist. Maybe too much oil getting past. I've seen where people have notched the dist to provide oil to the cam gear. If you're gonna tear it completely apart might check cam bearing clearance. Got to be going somewhere...

Comment

Still running the factory oiling system, ex filter and cooler? Maybe a restriction there. Totally off the wall but check the clearance between the dist bore in the block against the diameter of the dist. Maybe too much oil getting past. I've seen where people have notched the dist to provide oil to the cam gear. If you're gonna tear it completely apart might check cam bearing clearance. Got to be going somewhere...

That hat was something I planned on checking when on the stand. It is the factory oiling set up with new lines to filter and cooler. The previous engine to this one had an on the block filter. Same results so I went back to factory set up.

Phil

Comment

Find anything yet?

Comment

Same crankshaft and rods used in both builds? Factory rods?

Can you take some pics of the rod and main bearings ? lay them out in order like they were in the engine and see what bearings are chewed up
                  Sy #0535
                  TBSS LME LS2
                  non outlaw hardtop 911S
                  911s 3.2 turbo
                  75 3.2ss cab
                  LS1 SS cam and spray
                  LT1 355ci procharger
                  LT1 WS6 383ci

Comment

Double post
                    Sy #0535
                    TBSS LME LS2
                    non outlaw hardtop 911S
                    911s 3.2 turbo
                    75 3.2ss cab
                    LS1 SS cam and spray
                    LT1 355ci procharger
                    LT1 WS6 383ci

Comment

I've taken the engine out and removed intake and valve covers to prime. With a prime tool all seems fine. Good oil to cam gear and rockers. Both sides now seem to be oiling properly. I dropped the pan and pulled #1 main cap and the bearing is worn into the copper. I left the cap off, removed the timing cover and reinstalled the pan to prime again and have good flow to the main bearing. I know I plasti-gaged the bearings and they were good but I'm back to thinking clearances were bad and I messed up. I think this time I get a crank kit with supplied matching bearings.
                      This build was a different crank with Eagle rods all balanced rotating assy. with forged pistons and 4 bolt mains and a custom ground cam.. Later this week I'll finish disassembly and post pictures of rod and main bearings.

Phil

Comment

I donít have permission to upload photos. Go figure.

Comment

I donít have permission to upload photos. Go figure.

Comment

Lots of other hosting sites out there. Just upload and post the link. I use dropbox.

Comment

Lots of other hosting sites out there. Just upload and post the link. I use dropbox.

Comment

Working...
                              X