Solid motor mounts vs poly mounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid motor mounts vs poly mounts

I bought a set of solid motor mounts but am having second thoughts about the vibration/noise they might make. Would polyurathane be a better choice? Any opinions?

I have used solid mounts on both sides without any issues. But the last set of mounts I installed on another truck. A solid mount on the driver side and a stock rubber placed on the passenger side.
    Phil
    91 Syclone 2097
    92 Typhoon 0042 Black/Black
    93 Typhoon 1955 Royal Blue

Comment

I used the jtr high performace ones the install isnt fun along with a oem trans mount I heard the poly ones melt .
      1992 typhoon 0384
      1999 c5 frc vette

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys, I feel better now with the solid mounts.

Comment

If I have to replace any more mounts It will be one solid mount and one rubber. I feel a little better with the rubber being able to allow a little bit of movement. Hopefully, less chance of things vibrating loose on the truck. Although I never had that issue on the truck that I installed both mounts solid.

I will never use a rubber mount on the driver side again. Tried it on my Syclone. I thought that would be fine on a stock truck. I took the truck to the track and made 1 run. The new rubber mount didn't hold for that 1 boost launch. Ripped completely apart and fan blade got the radiator hose.
          Phil
          91 Syclone 2097

Comment

If it is a street truck. Just take a new stock motor mount and drill a 1/2 or 9/16 hole thru it that lines up with the freeze plug behind the mount. Counter sink hole on face, install plow bolt, flat washer and a nut. Tighten nut to snug and tack weld the nut. Could also use a self locking nut. This will give you the best of both options (won't shake and won't pull apart under boost. Have fun changing it as they are a bear in the truck.
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by proptop View Post
              If it is a street truck. Just take a new stock motor mount and drill a 1/2 or 9/16 hole thru it that lines up with the freeze plug behind the mount. Counter sink hole on face, install plow bolt, flat washer and a nut. Tighten nut to snug and tack weld the nut. Could also use a self locking nut. This will give you the best of both options (won't shake and won't pull apart under boost. Have fun changing it as they are a bear in the truck.
              Bob
              That is a good low cost idea. Yes it sure is difficult to change the mounts out with the engine in the truck. After the first truck I did. It didn't seem as bad.
              Phil
              91 Syclone 2097

Comment

Working...
              X