Hesitation problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IGottaSy View Post
    I would rule out crankshaft position sensor(ignition module). Do you have access to known-good distributor? Module isn't Syclone specific. Also, rule out wiring to it.
    I pulled the cap yesterday, and there's no side to side play in the distributor. There's maybe 2mm of up/down play in the distributor, and a lil over 1/8" of rotational play, which I believe is ok.
    All the wiring and connections to the coil and ICM look good. I have a new coil, cap/rotor, and ICM showing up this week... So I'll try all that and see what happens.

I have to get rid of this truck... it reminds me too much of my ex girlfriend. It takes all my money, and never puts out.
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

Well... it's not the coil or the ICM... got those installed today and no change.

Update... and it's not the cap and rotor either.

Map sensor shows up tomorrow...
      Last edited by Mephisto; 03-13-2019, 06:50 PM.
      1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

No change with a new MAP sensor either... Here's another video of the sound the truck makes when I barely tap the gas... it's audible in the cab and under the hood... and sounds like it's the distributor. I gotta get the stethoscope out and see if I can pin point it.

https://youtu.be/FBt9aRIH_6A

I did a search on distributors here and sounds like there hasn't been much luck with the MSD's, and a reman'ed Delco is the way to go...

I don't know what else it could be other than the distributor... unless one or more of the injectors aren't working correctly.
        Last edited by Mephisto; 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM.
        1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

I was hoping you'd try a different distributor before you bought the parts. Anyway, I've read the 50# injectors aren't the best to tune. Have you cleaned out the IAC? TPS set correctly and intact? Next thing to try after that is the ECM I suppose. I had one which worked well off idle but after 2nd gear, it fell on it face. Make sure your chip is in there straight and pins are all good. I'd keep checking on the free stuff first and try someone else's known good parts if you have a buddy.
          Last edited by IGottaSy; 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM.
          IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Originally posted by IGottaSy View Post
            I was hoping you'd try a different distributor before you bought the parts. Anyway, I've read the 50# injectors aren't the best to tune. Have you cleaned out the IAC? TPS set correctly and intact? Next thing to try after that is the ECM I suppose. I had one which worked well off idle but after 2nd gear, it fell on it face. Make sure your chip is in there straight and pins are all good. I'd keep checking on the free stuff first and try someone else's known good parts if you have a buddy.
            yeah... i was trying to go with the cheap parts first. Unfortunately I don't have anyone locally with a spare distributor to try that. I just ordered a new distributor, which will be here monday. After some adjustments to the throttle stop, IAC and TPS are all good. The chip is seated properly as well. I'll let you guys know what happens after swapping the distributor.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!
            1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Any fault codes present? If so, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. My 1995 GMC was stuck on limp mode even after I got 12v to the 4l80e due to bad wiring. The reason is that it must go thru a few ignition key cycles before it resets itself. Disconnected battery and its shifting thru all the gears again.
              IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Working...
              X