Hesitation problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IGottaSy View Post
    I would rule out crankshaft position sensor(ignition module). Do you have access to known-good distributor? Module isn't Syclone specific. Also, rule out wiring to it.
    I pulled the cap yesterday, and there's no side to side play in the distributor. There's maybe 2mm of up/down play in the distributor, and a lil over 1/8" of rotational play, which I believe is ok.
    All the wiring and connections to the coil and ICM look good. I have a new coil, cap/rotor, and ICM showing up this week... So I'll try all that and see what happens.

I have to get rid of this truck... it reminds me too much of my ex girlfriend. It takes all my money, and never puts out.
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

Well... it's not the coil or the ICM... got those installed today and no change.

Update... and it's not the cap and rotor either.

Map sensor shows up tomorrow...
      Last edited by Mephisto; 03-13-2019, 06:50 PM.
      1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

No change with a new MAP sensor either... Here's another video of the sound the truck makes when I barely tap the gas... it's audible in the cab and under the hood... and sounds like it's the distributor. I gotta get the stethoscope out and see if I can pin point it.

https://youtu.be/FBt9aRIH_6A

I did a search on distributors here and sounds like there hasn't been much luck with the MSD's, and a reman'ed Delco is the way to go...

I don't know what else it could be other than the distributor... unless one or more of the injectors aren't working correctly.
        Last edited by Mephisto; 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM.
        1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

I was hoping you'd try a different distributor before you bought the parts. Anyway, I've read the 50# injectors aren't the best to tune. Have you cleaned out the IAC? TPS set correctly and intact? Next thing to try after that is the ECM I suppose. I had one which worked well off idle but after 2nd gear, it fell on it face. Make sure your chip is in there straight and pins are all good. I'd keep checking on the free stuff first and try someone else's known good parts if you have a buddy.
          Last edited by IGottaSy; 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM.
          IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

I was hoping you'd try a different distributor before you bought the parts. Anyway, I've read the 50# injectors aren't the best to tune. Have you cleaned out the IAC? TPS set correctly and intact? Next thing to try after that is the ECM I suppose. I had one which worked well off idle but after 2nd gear, it fell on it face. Make sure your chip is in there straight and pins are all good. I'd keep checking on the free stuff first and try someone else's known good parts if you have a buddy.
            yeah... i was trying to go with the cheap parts first. Unfortunately I don't have anyone locally with a spare distributor to try that. I just ordered a new distributor, which will be here monday. After some adjustments to the throttle stop, IAC and TPS are all good. The chip is seated properly as well. I'll let you guys know what happens after swapping the distributor.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!
            1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Any fault codes present? If so, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. My 1995 GMC was stuck on limp mode even after I got 12v to the 4l80e due to bad wiring. The reason is that it must go thru a few ignition key cycles before it resets itself. Disconnected battery and its shifting thru all the gears again.

Comment

Any fault codes present? If so, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. My 1995 GMC was stuck on limp mode even after I got 12v to the 4l80e due to bad wiring. The reason is that it must go thru a few ignition key cycles before it resets itself. Disconnected battery and its shifting thru all the gears again.
                The frustration continues!!!

The distributor I ordered from Summit showed up and the one they sent me was for a 2nd Gen S10, which was huge. So I had to send that back.

I decided to order a new set of wires first, just to rule those out for sure before I try reordering another distributor. Unfortunately the MSD wire set is discontinued, so I had to order a set from Sportmachines, only to find out they're relocating and still haven't shipped the wires after waiting for 2 weeks.

I have to get this POS smogged this weekend, and can't wait for the wires from Sportmachines, so I had to order another universal set from Summit, which showed up today. Got those put in tonight, and just as suspected, no difference... so at this point I'm just gonna have to throw some race gas in it, pull the power on the IC pump to get the intake temps good n hot, and hope I pass smog. Cause this thing reeks at idle. Bad.

I did come across my old Ultimate chip and Ostrich in a box in the garage last weekend... I could never find a 3bar/50# bin online to reprogram my Ultimate when I got it, but, I just came across one on Tooky's old website. I'll try reprogramming that chip this weekend and swap it with the TurboTweak chip just to rule out that as well.

I'm not entirely sold on the distributor being the problem because there's just not a significant amount of play in the distributor for me to think it's the problem. Especially after I already swapped the cap/rotor, ICM, and coil...

If I rule out the chip and the distributor, what's left? Another ECM?

In addition to this BS, I have to replace the AC compressor and the water pump, so I might as well pop the valve covers off and check the valves while I'm at it.

I don't think there's ever been anything in my life that I've hated more than this truck. Not even my Syclone, or my cocaine cum dumpster exgf from like 10 years ago. But now (courtesy of Audi), my Ty is my daily driver, and I often sit in traffic fantasizing about this truck just going up in flames, while I watch with the utmost gratification as it dies a slow and horrible death in the middle of the 101 among tens of thousands of angry commuters. If I didn't think I could get at least SOME of my money back from it by selling it, I would've set this thing on fire a long time ago and done the world a favor.

Oh yeah, and to answer the question in the quote... I don't have any fault codes, and the CEL isn't on. I've already tried pulling the ECM fuses, disconnecting the battery, pulling the chip and reseating it... all with no improvements. I could loosen the fuel rail and see what "accidentally" happens there... that just might fix ALL my problems at once!
                1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Alright, I suppose no damaster file or similar available to see what is happening with the electronics yet.

1. Fuel pressure setting at idle vacuum hose disconnected?

2. IAC clean of build up carbon?

3. MAP matches chip(2 bar-stock, 3 bar)

4. TPS reading 0-5v? (Key on, engine off idle-WOT)

5. No vacuum leaks? Spray starting fluid anywhere you have vacuum hose connection. It will sputter or stall depending on vacuum leak severity. Injectors seated tight?

6. Fuel injectors match ECM ( impedance) ?

7. Is ECM taking a reading from the Wideband?

8. Stock O2 sensor in place?

9. knock counts out of range or excessive? Because of ticking...

Ticking sounds like injectors to me, normal. ECM should still be ok but could also have injector driver damage. Wouldn't hurt to try one known good but do make sure your injectors are the right match. My truck just got bitten by the CEL bug. It's a conspiracy!
                  Last edited by IGottaSy; 04-06-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I have a datamaster file I posted but my apparently the link I posted from my WD mycloud, doesn't work to download it.

I got the stethoscope out today, and found the noise. It's coming from the injectors although I can't really tell exactly which one, cause it sounds like it's coming from all of them haha. When I touch the stethoscope on an injector or on the fuel rail and advance the throttle the buzzing actually sounds/feels like a relay chattering. Can injectors arc? I don't even know what I would check that would cause that. It could be coming from one injector and I'm just hearing/feeling the chatter resonate through the fuel rail?

Here's the answers to your questions, and thank you for bearing with me through my frustration here...

1. 42psi
                    2. New replaced about 3k miles ago
                    3. yes
                    4. yes
                    5. pulled turbo/IC hose off and did the bike tube trick, only a slight hiss coming from below the TB.
                    6. I believe so, emailed with Eric and my TT chip is programmed for 50# MSD injectors
                    7. yes
                    8. no, WBo2 is in its place
                    9. no

I'm going to check the ohm resistance on the injectors tomorrow just to see what's going on there.

What would we ever do with all our free time if we didn't own these god forsaken trucks??? haha
                    Last edited by Mephisto; 04-07-2019, 03:37 AM.
                    1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

I remember reading something about adjusting the fuel rail height to prevent metal to metal contact the fuel rails are slotted .
                      1992 typhoon 0384
                      1999 c5 frc vette

Comment

I would concentrate on these.

"5. pulled turbo/IC hose off and did the bike tube trick, only a slight hiss coming from below the TB.
                        6. I believe so, emailed with Eric and my TT chip is programmed for 50# MSD injectors
                        7. yes
                        8. no, WBo2 is in its place"

5. Slight hiss = slightly more air thus forcing IAC to close more to compensate. But still should even out once you've started to move at any speed. Make a point of finding the exact source of the hiss. Throttle bodies wear out too.

6. MSD - not for me, too many horror stories. Also, the part number carries all the info you need including impedance.

7 & 8 - how is you PLX wired and grounded?
                        I have a chip for my wideband which I could never get it to work. Wideband was always too rich regardless of driving habits. Wired to specified pin on ECM and grounded off the ECM chassis. Went back to TT chip, no WB. I use 42# injectors.

injector pulse is normal, just loud. I have mine in exhaust wrap to help shield from heat and keep noise down. You knock sensor is not picking it up so you are good.

how well does it launch? My truck would bog if I just stomped on the pedal, then a second later it would boost nicely. It did tons better if I let it build a couple pounds of boost off the line. Always down shifted manually to 2nd gear if doing a boost launch of any sort and this thing would go, go, go... until the CEL last week. It's back in the barn since I'm working on another truck.

you mentioned a new distributor is on its way. Use Delco parts for your ignition. I'm rooting for that to be your fix.

one other thing, do you have stock chip and injectors? Stock O2? Stock MAP? You get the point. Sometimes you gotta start all over, again.
                        Last edited by IGottaSy; 04-07-2019, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1blkc4 View Post
                          I remember reading something about adjusting the fuel rail height to prevent metal to metal contact the fuel rails are slotted .
                          This works as long as the orings still do their job. I have read of people using 2 orings per injector but... don't know. I suppose a rubber washer could be used at the fuel rail mounts.

Comment

I would concentrate on these.

"5. pulled turbo/IC hose off and did the bike tube trick, only a slight hiss coming from below the TB.
                            7. yes
                            8. no, WBo2 is in its place"

5. Slight hiss = slightly more air thus forcing IAC to close more to compensate. But still should even out once you've started to move at any speed. Make a point of finding the exact source of the hiss. Throttle bodies wear out too.

6. MSD - not for me, too many horror stories. Also, the part number carries all the info you need including impedance.

7 & 8 - how is you PLX wired and grounded?
                            I have a chip for my wideband which I could never get it to work. Wideband was always too rich regardless of driving habits. Wired to specified pin on ECM and grounded off the ECM chassis. Went back to TT chip, no WB. I use 42# injectors.

injector pulse is normal, just loud. I have mine in exhaust wrap to help shield from heat and keep noise down. You knock sensor is not picking it up so you are good.

how well does it launch? My truck would bog if I just stomped on the pedal, then a second later it would boost nicely. It did tons better if I let it build a couple pounds of boost off the line. Always down shifted manually to 2nd gear if doing a boost launch of any sort and this thing would go, go, go... until the CEL last week. It's back in the barn since I'm working on another truck.

you mentioned a new distributor is on its way. Use Delco parts for your ignition. I'm rooting for that to be your fix.

one other thing, do you have stock chip and injectors? Stock O2? Stock MAP? You get the point. Sometimes you gotta start all over, again.
                            I pulled the throttle body out cleaned all of it, and replaced all the gaskets. It's always had a slight hiss like a pin hole in a bike tube, my Syclone had the same thing. My vacuum level is 18-19 at idle, which I figured is acceptable. I adjusted the throttle stop screw and got the TPS voltage and the lAC counts down to 30, so that's all good there.

I didn't pick these injectors or install them... (that's a story for another time) and I don't have the model number or any of the info on them. I don't have the stock injectors anymore as apparently they were FUBAR from this being a Saudi truck and running leaded gas. The PLX is grounded to the chassis of the ECM. The truck runs fine around town or cruising on the freeway... AFR is right in that 14.7ish wheelhouse. It's just from a stop or when I get above 5psi that the injectors are just dumping fuel in there.

I wish I had all the stock parts to start over... I don't have a stock eprom, the previous owner "couldn't find it" when I bought the truck and I haven't been able to source one on here... All I have is an ATR pitbull chip and a 2-bar.

Honestly, I'm afraid to launch it haha. If it bogs out at 5psi, just trying to get on the freeway... I'd prefer to get that sorted out before going WOT. I'm just afraid of causing some other problem, and having to piss away more time and money on this thing.

I could adjust the fuel rail height which may quiet down the ticking, but I don't think it'll solve the chattering problem. I'm gonna pull the harness and test the impedance of the injectors. I did a lil googling and read that if the injectors are the wrong impedance for the chip, the injector drivers could be damaged thus causing this problem? I'm gonna get to the bottom of this shit though! hahaha. This 27 year old POS is not gonna beat me!
                            1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Sounds to me the PLX and ECM aren't jiving. You could try to run stock O2 sensor and match that tune on the chip. #7 = 99 is WB off Just to see what it does. Please, someone correct me if this is wrong.

Or perform this song and dance...

https://howtune.com/articles/375-tun...yclone-typhoon

Comment

Working...
                              X