No announcement yet.

Hesitation problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok... well it's been a lil while and figured I'd post an update. So reached out to Eric at TurboTweak and he tweaked some fuel settings and sent me another eprom. I popped that in, and the hesitation is gone. Yay! However, the AFR is still dipping down to 10 when I blip the gas at idle, and i'm still getting little random pops/misfires, and this rpm surge when decelerating... oh and the exhaust still smells, not so much rich as it is just potent.

I ordered another WBo2 on amazon just to rule that out, and as suspected, no change. It was also suggested that the cat could be clogged. Took it to a local exhaust shop and had them do a backpressure test. All good there. Literally no backpressure. I pulled the TT chip out, loaded a 50# bin from the old 50# ultimate chip into my ostrich and tried that. At idle the AFR went straight to 10. I drove it around a bit and it ran ok, but whenever I stopped, the AFR went to 10. So i opened TunerPro and messed with the tables a lil bit, and I got the idle to lean out to around 14... but still with the random pops/misfires. Short of the distributor, I've replaced everything... plugs, wires, ICM, cap, rotor, and coil.

So... because I love aggravating myself and because I loathe this truck and working on it. I decided it would be a good idea to pull the valve covers off. Ok first off, eff this truck, eff it right in its filthy 3" tailpipe! Holy hell! What an incredibly unnecessary and difficult pain in the ass that is! Anyway! After pulling half the truck apart to get the valve covers off, I pulled the plugs, and then had to pull the fan shroud, and the fan... so I could crank the motor over by hand and check the valve lash. The driver's side was pretty good, but the intake valve on #6 had a ton of slop, and the #2 and #4 exhaust valves had some as well. So I tightened those up, and put everything back together. I put the TT chip back in since it seemed to run a lil better on that one, and took it for a spin. Definite noticeable difference, so it wasn't a total waste of time. It feels a lil smoother when cruising around and a lil more responsive. But I'll be damned if it's still not randomly popping/misfiring at idle and surging at deceleration. I'm thinking it's gotta be something with these injectors, maybe they're not flow matched correctly or something just isn't jiving with the TTchip or the old bins from the 50# ultimate.

If it's not the injectors, that really only leaves the ECM and the PLX... outside of that, the only fix is a gas can and matches. I'm just over it, and so sick of screwing with this thing. It's so bad I lashed out at a guy at the gas station yesterday, when he told me these trucks were badass! hahaha
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

Poor guy. Shoulda told him it was for sale. Like I said before, I've read gloomy stories about the 50# injectors. At least you learned something new. Clearly, not enough to make you forget about fire. I need to send TT my chip as well. I just have been enjoying romping on this thing around town with no issues but a little hard start when at operating temps. I am probably off a degree or two with the timing. Truck runs strong for a 123K mile motor. Chip is for 91 and no wideband. I get no knock cause I fill up with either 93 octane or 93 plus a couple gallons of E85 when I feel like driving to the only gas station that sells it. Keep messing with it but leave the 3" tail pipe alone.
      shoulda wrapped the injector fuel rail with some thin exhaust wrap to keep cool while it was stripped.
      IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Originally posted by IGottaSy View Post
        Poor guy. Shoulda told him it was for sale.
        haha I wasn't too bad to him. He just caught me at the wrong time and came up all cheery and said "oh I remember these! These things are badass!" and I just gave him a death glare and said all snarky "That's right! Baddest trucks ever made until you own one, and the piece of shit is constantly broken! Hence, the license plate... Have a good one!" and got outta there. Haha the guy must have thought I was a total dick, but he was just an innocent man in the wrong place at the wrong time haha.

I gotta try to go get this thing smogged again... my registration expired in April, and once we hit June all bets are off. The "super busy" cops here will pull you over in a second for it, on the off chance they're gonna bust you for something else. I really don't wanna deal with those guys and their empty threats of impounding the truck and suspending my license. I'll just dump more 101oct in it, and do some WOT blasts to get everything good n hot before I go in there, and hope for the best. I don't think I had the truck hot enough last time.

Even if it passes smog I still need to sort out why it's idling like crap and why around town driving sucks. I'm convinced it's the injectors that are crap. But I'll try going back to the stock o2, and swapping the ECM before I buy new injectors. If none of that works, then I quit. We'll just close this thread and call it a Typhoon cold case.
        1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Get running right and sell the thing to get the new Sucklone coming out.

https://youtu.be/_vm73XpT5D8
          IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Hahaha never! That thing is a travesty! Even if they had put the turbo ATS-v motor in there and made it AWD, it's still way too big and clunky. I love how small our trucks are... but then again, I'm not over 6ft tall and pushing 280lbs or more... So getting in and out of my Ty isn't a struggle.

If/when I sell my Typhoon, I'm buying a 67 Nova SS, like I should've done instead of buying this Typhoon. That's always been my dream car (besides the 69 Charger, damn you dukes of hazzard!). I can climb into that engine bay to wrench on it, and don't have to take half of the car apart just to get the valve covers off! It's just a matter of finding one that's not totally fubar, or restored with a bunch of dated gaudy crap all over it.
            1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Working...
            X