Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock, knock....

I was hoping for some help.
    So,I do have a scanmaster G on my typhoon. I have 60lb injectors TT chip, 20g turbo, and anytime I am into boost, I am getting up to 5* of knock when at WOT. Very frustrated. the truck runs great otherwise. I have read a lot on knock, but I do not know where to start. No knock under normal driving, only while in boost. New wires, plugs, and distributor (entire thing). My truck I make sure to take care of, but this is very frustrating.
    Any hints, I would appreciate.
    2003 2500 Avalanche. 496 with headers, 3" Magnaflow exhaust SOLD!
    1992 Typhoon # 0234. ultimate chip, cervinis ram air hood, ATR exhaust, otherwise all stock. New paint and semi-restoration final in May of 2013

What gas are you using? 5* at WOT on 91oct is not that bad. I haven't seen a ton of these trucks in my tenure, but I don't think I've seen or heard of any truck that didn't have some degree of knock on pump gas. I'd still get 1-2* on 101oct in my old syclone.
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

I am using 93 octane
      1992 Typhoon # 0234. ultimate chip, cervinis ram air hood, ATR exhaust, otherwise all stock. New paint and semi-restoration final in May of 2013

Comment

While 5 deg is not to bad. You should be able to do better. But you do have to find the cause. Could be a lot of things to rule out. You could try a little better fuel or a little less timing. Those would be two things I would check first at a WOT knock. KR is one of the hardest issues to find IMO.
        Phil
        91 Syclone 2097
        92 Typhoon 0042 Black/Black
        93 Typhoon 1955 Royal Blue

Comment

Yeah, it is frustrating! I have gone internal to change the degree under boost in the TT chip. Seems not to change it. Changed fuel, nothing changed either.

Comment

Was the fuel you tried racing fuel? I traced a KR cause down once that was the clamp on the back of the head securing the fuel line being loose enough to rattle. Only seemed to be a problem under acceleration.
            Phil
            91 Syclone 2097
            92 Typhoon 0042 Black/Black
            93 Typhoon 1955 Royal Blue

Comment

No, only 93 octane. Tried going from 92 octane...
              very frusrtating!

Comment

Get a few gallons of 101 or 109 no lead and mix it in when you have a low tank .... .go make some pulls and see if you have less knock. Got to find out if you have real knock or false knock
                Sy #0535
                TBSS LME LS2
                non outlaw hardtop 911S
                911s 3.2 turbo
                75 3.2ss cab
                LS1 SS cam and spray
                LT1 355ci procharger
                LT1 WS6 383ci

Comment

How did it run with race fuel?
                  I have noticed I get some knock if I start boosting on a higher gear (OD going 40mph as opposed to downshifting, for example)

dirty fuel injectors, downpipe clearance issues, loose metal parts, worn out distributor gear could also cause this. How is the A/F ratio when knocking?
                  IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

I am trying to find some race fuel. no stations close to me... Used to be one about a mile away, I was spoiled. That is the other issue, I do not have a a/f ratio gauge. I have to get one. Fuel injectors new (60s) TT chip, DP clamped well, but Cat does rattle (internal), Distributor brand new, plugs/wires brand new

Comment

Wish I was going to Carlisle this year, but I have to drive to Michigan and pick my daughter up that weekend

Comment

Take a look at your timing mark while revving.
                        IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Comment

Sir,
                          Have you checked your TPS readings at wide open throttle? Truck off, key on and cycle the foot feed/gas pedal while watching the scan master. I would be curious to see if the TPS voltage is low on the big end.
                          Bob

Comment

Will check the TPS today, also will check the timing when reving, have to get some help with this from Aeroking, he set my timing

Comment

TPS with power on is .50, with gas all the way down 4.1

Comment

Working...
                              X