Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syclone #569 needs some

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Syclone #569 needs some

    Ace bandages.

    Bought this truck 2 weeks ago. It was pouring Oil out of the drivers PCV breather which was re-located to the inner fender ever time the truck boosted hard. It also leaves a nice trail of blue smoke behind it too. Sure enough under the truck was covered in oil, look in the fender and I felt like I was Jed Clampett. Oil everywhere.

    Today i do a compression check on each cylinder. It goes like this.......

    Drivers front to back

    #1 90 psi
    #2 70 psi
    #3 60 psi

    passenger front to back

    #6 150 psi
    #5 140 psi
    #4 120 psi

    Checking the plug that goes to each cylinder, they are white but not too white or pitted ect.

    Now on to my questions???????

    If the previous owner drove it this way for 1-5000 miles going based on the oil from the breather, How much more damage could he have done? (i cant do much more mechanics cause lack of room, tools, ect.)

    If i am changing valve seals ect. what about head gasket or anything else?
    Should I do full rebuild?
    How much am i going spend to have someone do this?


    The truck has 135k miles on it. after market turbo that was set about 26 psi with stock internals. I bought it and turned it down to about 18 psi. Drove it 200 miles and now have torn the truck down to fix. paint, clean, and tune it up.
    Syclone #569 PTE52, Bulldog 3" no cats, rust, dents, leaks.
    MG Midget, Firehawk, GMC Terrain, Sentra?

  • #2
    Re: Syclone #569 needs some

    Originally posted by Transdamn View Post
    Ace bandages.

    Bought this truck 2 weeks ago. It was pouring Oil out of the drivers PCV breather which was re-located to the inner fender ever time the truck boosted hard. It also leaves a nice trail of blue smoke behind it too. Sure enough under the truck was covered in oil, look in the fender and I felt like I was Jed Clampett. Oil everywhere.

    Today i do a compression check on each cylinder. It goes like this.......

    Drivers front to back

    #1 90 psi
    #2 70 psi
    #3 60 psi

    passenger front to back

    #6 150 psi
    #5 140 psi
    #4 120 psi

    Checking the plug that goes to each cylinder, they are white but not too white or pitted ect.

    Now on to my questions???????

    If the previous owner drove it this way for 1-5000 miles going based on the oil from the breather, How much more damage could he have done? (i cant do much more mechanics cause lack of room, tools, ect.)

    If i am changing valve seals ect. what about head gasket or anything else?
    Should I do full rebuild?
    How much am i going spend to have someone do this?


    The truck has 135k miles on it. after market turbo that was set about 26 psi with stock internals. I bought it and turned it down to about 18 psi. Drove it 200 miles and now have torn the truck down to fix. paint, clean, and tune it up.
    take that engine out. your rings are cracked. pistons burned or whatever.
    nice numbers though 26psi on stock internals ans 135K.
    '92 Typhoon BLK/BLK #1244 SOLD
    '91 Syclone Stock #1801 SOLD
    '91 Syclone #1763 SOLD
    '93 Typhoon WHT/WHT #2076
    '93 Typhoon WHT/GRY #1780
    '91 Syclone #0464
    What can you say?.............................addicted!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Syclone #569 needs some

      Originally posted by Transdamn View Post
      The truck has 135k miles on it. after market turbo that was set about 26 psi with stock internals
      OUCH!!!

      You could spend thousands of $$ and as many hours trying to fix bits & pieces. Pull it and save yourself the grief of chasing what "might" be broken.
      Kevin - Syclone #1255 - SOLD

      Boost... ...cause some days atmospheric pressure just doesn't cut it

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Syclone #569 needs some

        its dead
        In mythical Greece i was known as the mighty Testicleese.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Syclone #569 needs some

          Originally posted by jpalmer View Post
          its dead
          Not dead. It actually pulled hard just the blow by was annoying cause I would smoke out traffic.

          I am going to have the engine rebuilt I just dont know where to get it done around here.(chicago)

          Anything else i should have checked out? The turbo is not used it did sit a LOT.

          This sounds like its goona get very expensive!
          Last edited by Transdamn; 04-18-2009, 07:53 PM. Reason: cant spell
          Syclone #569 PTE52, Bulldog 3" no cats, rust, dents, leaks.
          MG Midget, Firehawk, GMC Terrain, Sentra?

          Comment


          • #6
            Just for fun this thread could use an update.

            Currently on a 6266 ran an 11.3@116mph and now it's getting a Holley HP EFI installed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Which brand turbo?
              IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

              Taking the streets by STORM!

              My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't know what 60psi looks like, but I had about 25psi and white smoke coming from the breathers. At tare-down I found cracked and shipped pistons and some scoring on the cylinder wall. Strangely, the rings all looked great, and the end gaps were all just out of spec This all happened when i forgot to hook up the waste gate actuator solenoid, data-logging showed about 25psi at time of failure (on pump gas). When you rebuilt, what pistons did you use? did you bore it out or just hone it?

                Cheers
                TY3100

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by IGottaSy View Post
                  Which brand turbo?
                  It's a Precision Gen2 6266

                  Originally posted by Gobbles View Post
                  I don't know what 60psi looks like, but I had about 25psi and white smoke coming from the breathers. At tare-down I found cracked and shipped pistons and some scoring on the cylinder wall. Strangely, the rings all looked great, and the end gaps were all just out of spec This all happened when i forgot to hook up the waste gate actuator solenoid, data-logging showed about 25psi at time of failure (on pump gas). When you rebuilt, what pistons did you use? did you bore it out or just hone it?

                  Cheers
                  This was a simple hone and reassemble done by the previous owner, not me. By the paperwork I got, looks to be just rings and bearings and everything reused.

                  I've run as high as 28psi on several occassions, e85 and good tuning is alot more tolerant.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice!!!! Did you done with holley efi setting and run?

                    i have 6766 precision in full built 4.3 with vortec. Also Holley Dominator efi too. I hope I run faster than 11.3 lol
                    John

                    91 Syclone #644
                    87 Jimmy S15 2wd V8 TPI
                    86 Z28 355 high modify

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And picture of engine in your Syclone?
                      John

                      91 Syclone #644
                      87 Jimmy S15 2wd V8 TPI
                      86 Z28 355 high modify

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sy644 View Post
                        Nice!!!! Did you done with holley efi setting and run?

                        i have 6766 precision in full built 4.3 with vortec. Also Holley Dominator efi too. I hope I run faster than 11.3 lol
                        I'm still playing with the Holley to get it to run right, but it's pretty solid at WOT. The driveability stuff has been the tricky stuff.

                        I haven't touched it in a while, the power I picked up killed my transmission so I'm awaiting the new one.

                        Originally posted by Sy644 View Post
                        And picture of engine in your Syclone?
                        It's not much to look at really, but yeah...

                        Here is a dyno video from some of the first base runs. Had some ignition troubles.



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Awesome! What AFR you run while WOT?
                          John

                          91 Syclone #644
                          87 Jimmy S15 2wd V8 TPI
                          86 Z28 355 high modify

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Iím kinda confused, too low HP? Did you had heads swap to vortec? Whatís 6266 rated at? What kind injectors?
                            John

                            91 Syclone #644
                            87 Jimmy S15 2wd V8 TPI
                            86 Z28 355 high modify

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I just checked, 735 hp rated turbo. I think you could have about 550-600 hp in awd dyno. My turbo 6766 rated at 935 hp so Iím hoping for around 750-800 hp. I had my heads swapped to 2001 Silverado 4.3 vortec heads. Removed power steering pump & gearbox and AC.

                              Do you have renz intake in it? I do. I have 60# flow matched injectors in mine. What kind fuel pump?

                              Sorry for many questions. Iím just want to be prepare for it.
                              John

                              91 Syclone #644
                              87 Jimmy S15 2wd V8 TPI
                              86 Z28 355 high modify

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X