Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Alpine Halo head unit... perfect for us or clunky garbage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alpine Halo head unit... perfect for us or clunky garbage?

https://youtu.be/72Uhil2L5-c

I haven't really decided if I like this or not... I like the idea, but part of me thinks it just looks like a clunky afterthought like the screens on the Mercedes c-class. What do you guys think?

It could be a decent option without having to hack up the radio bezel or go with one of those unreliable single DIN units with the motorized screen that pops out and blocks the AC vents. This is a single din unit and the screen just attaches to the front and you can adjust the tilt and slide it up or down. I do like that you can slide it down so you don't block the AC vents, and having it lower will also prevent the ash try from flying out during a launch. Sounds like it plays all media formats including mp4's. I don't do Pandora or Spotify, so I'd have to go bluetooth from my phone or USB aux with a thumb drive. I just wonder if there's a lag time with an external drive. In my old DD I had a Pioneer dvd deck with a 32gb thumb drive in the USB aux and it would take about a minute and a half for the deck to read the drive before it started playing music. Definitely don't want to put up with that again.

I've seen the double DIN screens in our trucks with the modded bezel and all that, and I'm not a fan. It just doesn't look right to me. We 're so limited with options given the absolutely stupid dash setup in our trucks, and trying to finagle something that doesn't look like complete shit is easier said than done.

If anyone has completed a clean install of a double DIN, I'd love to see it! I was even contemplating a custom center console just to fit a head unit and some real cup holders that actually work. Anyone modded the cup holders so they can actually hold a cup of coffee through a turn? hahaha
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Looks clunky and overpriced for the features that you actually get.

Comment

yeah, it looked like a cool idea at first... but after a lil more recon, I agree, it's pretty clunky for $900.

I gotta figure out something that works that doesn't involve anything apple related. Might have to settle on modding the bezel and going with one of those Parrot decks... there just aren't a lot of options for us. I'm going full 90's right now with the stock cd player and a case logic case full of cd-r's hahaha
      Last edited by Mephisto; 11-29-2018, 08:36 PM.
      1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
      1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

Working...
      X