Double din attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double din attempt

I started my Double din conversion Sunday and thought it may be worthy of a thread. I haven't seen any double dins done properly in first gen trucks so I decided to give it a try. I have seen the TVs in the dash that looked awesome, but I still have AC so I'm not ready to do that route.

Here was my progress after a couple hours. I got some 1/8" thick plastic and cut it out to the size I needed for the radio and cut 3 small angled pieces to try to keep the factory curves. I did bring the radio face out 1.25" from stock sine I needed more depth and I figured it would still look alright. Then used quick dry plastic epoxy to hold the many plastic pieces together.

Next I took some filler and filled in all the gaps and kept sanding and sanding. I carefully marked out the the radio cutout and dremeled it out a little smaller which was good besides it took another couple hours sanding it but at least I didn't cut it out too big.

As you can see here a double din barely fits!

Then test fitted it into the truck and the depth was absolutely maxed out. It barely fit in. Im thinking I may use a heat gun to get a little more room out of the ducting back there. Now I have to do some more filling, sanding and get some paint to match and see how it looks.
    91 Syclone #2208- Getting engine rebuilt
    93 Typhoon #0146- Totaled
    06 ECSB Duramax- Daily Driver

Re: Double din attempt

Looking good.... I might want to do something similar if I get the 6" touch screen for the Holey EFI...
    Paul Z.

sigpic
    1991 Syclone # 2130. Black/Black. Built stock block, Nolan custom cam, Brodix heads with EFI converted carb intake, PTE 6466 Gen 2, PTE front mount A/A intercooler, Built 4L80e, DaveP Holley Dominator install with DIS, etc.
    1993 Typhoon #1309. Black/Argent. Stockish.

Comment

Nice work Matt! Love seeing the progress pics.
      www.sportmachines.net
      Syclone. Typhoon. Sonoma GT
      Parts. Sales. Service. Transport.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Sportmachines Instagram: Sportmachines

Comment

looks good, how are you going to support it in the back? those double DIN screens are pretty heavy
        Andrew
        Syclone #1700
        1993 typhoon
        2005 ctsv
        1968 cadillac

Comment

How far forward does the radio come to give clearance for the air duct in the back? It looks like 1 inch or maybe 1.5. These suckers get deep.
          #2274 Typhoon (Never seen snow)!!

Comment

Originally posted by Z SKI View Post
            Looking good.... I might want to do something similar if I get the 6" touch screen for the Holey EFI...
            That would be cool. If I got the Holey ECM I would go that route!

Originally posted by ajt86 View Post
            looks good, how are you going to support it in the back? those double DIN screens are pretty heavy
            It sits on the bottom of the mounting hole, but I may sill adapt the stock brackets to work

Originally posted by Bill Z View Post
            How far forward does the radio come to give clearance for the air duct in the back? It looks like 1 inch or maybe 1.5. These suckers get deep.
            Its right on the air duct. It barely fits even after building out the bracket, I may use a heat gun to get a tiny bit of extra clearance. luckly the heatsink and fan are on the side of the radio.

91 Syclone #2208- Getting engine rebuilt
            93 Typhoon #0146- Totaled
            06 ECSB Duramax- Daily Driver

Comment

How about room for the harness' that come out the back?
              Gary Shanock
              Sy #1773 toy
              '93 Ty #1208 driver
              Some other cars and trucks

Comment

Did this project ever get compleated? I would love to see it.
                Kenneth R Zink II
                2001 Chevy S10 - Turbo 4.3L SFI conversion (Black Beauty)
                2000 GMC Jimmy SLT - Stock (J10)
                1994 Olds Bravada - Soon to be 455 Olds powered (Rocket)

Comment

doesn't this satisfy the same thing, but pre-made...

1986-93 S10 TYPHOON SYCLONE ALPINE ILX007 Double Din Radio Package
                  64 Austin Healey Sprite - SBC/200-4r, 1456 lbs
                  69 Camaro - RS/SS Yenko Clone
                  70 Triumph GT6 - 9 inch rear, new engine trans to follow
                  71 Buick GSX Stage One Clone
                  93 GMC Typhoon - Built motor / FAST XFI

Comment

Pricey......and Alpine already shows it as discontinued...... and it can't play CDs.
                    Crutchfield has it 'deeply' discounted for $700....so for $60 more you get the trim ring.
                    Chip
                    Sonoma GT #15 Teal
                    '91 Sonoma ext cab GT conversion

Comment

so it wouldn't work with mods for another head unit. you'll have to do work behind the dash, just like any other head unit... but I've had double d do dashes before (c5) and it looks factory.
                      64 Austin Healey Sprite - SBC/200-4r, 1456 lbs
                      69 Camaro - RS/SS Yenko Clone
                      70 Triumph GT6 - 9 inch rear, new engine trans to follow
                      71 Buick GSX Stage One Clone
                      93 GMC Typhoon - Built motor / FAST XFI

Comment

The whole radio setup in these trucks is just a testament to how out of touch GM was and still is when it comes to electronics in their cars. I mean how long did it take for them to figure out bluetooth, usb, or even just an aux in for an iPod FFS? $15k POS Carollas were equipped with aux inputs or ipod hookups less than 2 years after the ipod came out and GM was still charging 500+ for a 6-disc changer. 99% of cars in the late 80's and early 90's came with single DIN radios, the fact that someone came up with this DIN.5 idea and that it got approved is just mind boggling.

I think I'm gonna try the mini-tablet idea. The IT guy at my work has the whole setup his car and it would probably be less work that trying to shoehorn a double din in there.
                        1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
                        1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

Truthfully, now I don't use CDs. Now we can find half the depth media receivers which will fit sy/tys with ease. Now I wish they would make these double din receivers without the cd and make it half depth and that would be perfect.
                          SY 0364 AFPR, Walbro, gilbert,relocated battery to box, removed ABS, Lowering springs, Rear sway bar, E-fan with Delta Current Controller, JSM 3" Stainless DP and RPM 3" stainless full exhaust. Jwaller Turbo. 60lb inj, TurboTweak Chip.
                          Best time 2008
                          13.1321@102.03mph 1.7722 60'
                          Best time 2016
                          ???

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post

The whole radio setup in these trucks is just a testament to how out of touch GM was and still is when it comes to electronics in their cars. I mean how long did it take for them to figure out bluetooth, usb, or even just an aux in for an iPod FFS? $15k POS Carollas were equipped with aux inputs or ipod hookups less than 2 years after the ipod came out and GM was still charging 500+ for a 6-disc changer. 99% of cars in the late 80's and early 90's came with single DIN radios, the fact that someone came up with this DIN.5 idea and that it got approved is just mind boggling.

I think I'm gonna try the mini-tablet idea. The IT guy at my work has the whole setup his car and it would probably be less work that trying to shoehorn a double din in there.
                            Did you go through with the mini tablet idea? If so, any pictures?

Comment

Working...
                            X