Belltech Rear Leaf Spring part# typhoon needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Belltech Rear Leaf Spring part# typhoon needed

Did i miss it in this thread? Part number for the correct shocks for these lowering springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Z SKI View Post
      Hey all... Sorry I've been MIA.... Life has been a busy mo-fo recently...

I just typed out a killer response and the damn forum glitched

No need to drill any holes, a better way has been confirmed...

Neal (Mephisto) just installed the belltech Colorado lowering springs and they were a perfect match... Correct length and way better ride... Still needed the setback plates to center the wheels but most of us have those from our previous springs...

Neal should be updating this thread with more info and hopefully some pics...

Hope this helps...

Oh, here's a link to the springs...

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bel-5953/none/images

See ya,
      Yeah, the 5953's work great. In hind sight I should've taken pics of the spring shackles with the 5954's to do a lil before and after... oh well. I'm certainly not putting a 5954 back in just to show you guys pics!

With the 5954's I was using 1" blocks, setback plates, and wedges. The shackles were all the way back touching the frame, and the springs had no bow to them at all... I'd even say they were slightly bowing in the opposite direction. I took the 1" blocks out and the springs were pretty much flat. The ride difference was hardly noticeable, and it still felt like a jack hammer on the fwy. Initially I was blaming the shocks, but after talking to Paul and reading the other threads, the springs made the most sense.

A few weeks and $275 later, I got the 5953's in with 1" blocks, setback plates, and wedges. Vast improvement over the 5954's, but still too low and still a little bouncy. I took the 1" blocks out, and left the setbacks and wedges, and the ride is waaaay better. The shackles are now vertical where they belong instead of resting on the frame, and I don't feel like I need to visit the chiropractor just driving it to the store and back.

Unfortunately, I think one too many slams on the bump stops with the old springs ruined my shocks to where going over good sized speed bump the truck still bottoms out.

I'm gonna throw in some Vikings and see how that goes, but I'm sure the ride will get even better.

Here's a pic of my Ty with 18's, 5953's, setback plates, and wedges. IMO that's the perfect height, any lower and you're gambling with cladding.

BTW... I have a killer deal on some 5954's is anyone wants em!
      1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
      1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
        Yeah, the 5953's work great. In hind sight I should've taken pics of the spring shackles with the 5954's to do a lil before and after... oh well. I'm certainly not putting a 5954 back in just to show you guys pics!

With the 5954's I was using 1" blocks, setback plates, and wedges. The shackles were all the way back touching the frame, and the springs had no bow to them at all... I'd even say they were slightly bowing in the opposite direction. I took the 1" blocks out and the springs were pretty much flat. The ride difference was hardly noticeable, and it still felt like a jack hammer on the fwy. Initially I was blaming the shocks, but after talking to Paul and reading the other threads, the springs made the most sense.

A few weeks and $275 later, I got the 5953's in with 1" blocks, setback plates, and wedges. Vast improvement over the 5954's, but still too low and still a little bouncy. I took the 1" blocks out, and left the setbacks and wedges, and the ride is waaaay better. The shackles are now vertical where they belong instead of resting on the frame, and I don't feel like I need to visit the chiropractor just driving it to the store and back.

Unfortunately, I think one too many slams on the bump stops with the old springs ruined my shocks to where going over good sized speed bump the truck still bottoms out.

I'm gonna throw in some Vikings and see how that goes, but I'm sure the ride will get even better.

Here's a pic of my Ty with 18's, 5953's, setback plates, and wedges. IMO that's the perfect height, any lower and you're gambling with cladding.

BTW... I have a killer deal on some 5954's is anyone wants em!
        Can you link me to where you got the set back plates and wedges. I want to lower my stock truck asap. Would you say its lowered more then 2 inches?
        2011 GSXR 600
        2011 Hayabusa
        2012 Ram 3500 Cummins
        1993 Toyota Supra
        1995 Toyota Supra
        1993 GMC Typhoon #0776 White/White

Comment

Your truck sits at perfection! What wedges are you using? I just ordered the leafs and setbacks. But i don't know what wedges to get and which shocks to order.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSupra View Post
            Can you link me to where you got the set back plates and wedges. I want to lower my stock truck asap. Would you say its lowered more then 2 inches?
            Here's the link to JTR... http://www.jagsthatrun.com/S-10_Order.html

I have 4* wedges. There's a thread on here from eons ago about pinion angles and all that. It's been 10+ years since I ordered these so I don't remember all the details of the thread but 4* is what was recommended IIRC.

Belltech states these are a 3" drop... But I don't know how that translates to our trucks. Plus I have 18" wheels which may fill in the wheel wells a lil more and make it appear lower than a truck with stock wheels and 50series tires. Meaning, you might have more gap between the wheel arch and top of the tire with 16s and need a lowering block to get the same gap I have.

JTR has a variety of lowering blocks from 1/2" on up, so if it's not low enough with the leafs, you can go from there.

No idea on the shocks yet... I'll post that info after I order the shocks from JSM. I believe it's based on shock length at ride height. So take that FWIW.
            Last edited by Mephisto; 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM.
            1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Here's the link to JTR... http://www.jagsthatrun.com/S-10_Order.html

I have 4* wedges. There's a thread on here from eons ago about pinion angles and all that. It's been 10+ years since I ordered these so I don't remember all the details of the thread but 4* is what was recommended IIRC.

Belltech states these are a 3" drop... But I don't know how that translates to our trucks. Plus I have 18" wheels which may fill in the wheel wells a lil more and make it appear lower than a truck with stock wheels and 50series tires. Meaning, you might have more gap between the wheel arch and top of the tire with 16s and need a lowering block to get the same gap I have.

JTR has a variety of lowering blocks from 1/2" on up, so if it's not low enough with the leafs, you can go from there.

No idea on the shocks yet... I'll post that info after I order the shocks from JSM. I believe it's based on shock length at ride height. So take that FWIW.
              Thanks man for your input. Im really torn on what to do. I want the best ride possible without sacrificing too much. Im sure belltech leaf springs are better then just blocks on stock springs right?
              2011 GSXR 600
              2011 Hayabusa
              2012 Ram 3500 Cummins
              1993 Toyota Supra
              1995 Toyota Supra

Comment

Thanks man for your input. Im really torn on what to do. I want the best ride possible without sacrificing too much. Im sure belltech leaf springs are better then just blocks on stock springs right?
                I had vehicles with blocks (felt EVERY crack in teh road), and then with just the leaf springs. The leafs were much better.
                I will be going this route
                2003 2500 Avalanche. 496 with headers, 3" Magnaflow exhaust SOLD!
                1992 Typhoon # 0234. ultimate chip, cervinis ram air hood, ATR exhaust, otherwise all stock. New paint and semi-restoration final in May of 2013

Comment

Originally posted by 2500avalanche View Post
                  I had vehicles with blocks (felt EVERY crack in teh road), and then with just the leaf springs. The leafs were much better.
                  I will be going this route
                  Awesome. I just hope I can achieve this 2inch drop with proper belltechs. Theres no way to just drop these leaf springs in and leave it without any set back plates or wedges? Cause in theory wouldn't they add to the drop?
                  2011 GSXR 600
                  2011 Hayabusa
                  2012 Ram 3500 Cummins
                  1993 Toyota Supra
                  1995 Toyota Supra

Comment

Awesome. I just hope I can achieve this 2inch drop with proper belltechs. Theres no way to just drop these leaf springs in and leave it without any set back plates or wedges? Cause in theory wouldn't they add to the drop?
                    No I think it changes the wedge changes the angle so you do not get any vibrations
                    1992 Typhoon # 0234. ultimate chip, cervinis ram air hood, ATR exhaust, otherwise all stock. New paint and semi-restoration final in May of 2013

Comment

I had stock leafs and blocks on my Syclone and it was awful... even after adding a Snugtop tonneau cover it was still pretty bad.

I'd say do a search on setback plates but considering most of the pics are missing from old threads, it wouldn't do you much good. You can install the leafs without the plates but your rear wheels won't be centered in the wheel well, and will be closer to the front of the truck. If you hit a deep dip in a parking lot at a goofy angle your tire will make contract with the much bigger piece of cladding behind the door and rip it right off. First hand experience with that.

The set back plate is a 1/2" thick at best and the wedge doesn't necessarily lower it any further. It just gives you a proper pinion angle on your driveshaft. You'll be fine... unless the plates and wedges are really going to "set you back"? Sorry... long day, bad joke.
                      1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

I had stock leafs and blocks on my Syclone and it was awful... even after adding a Snugtop tonneau cover it was still pretty bad.

I'd say do a search on setback plates but considering most of the pics are missing from old threads, it wouldn't do you much good. You can install the leafs without the plates but your rear wheels won't be centered in the wheel well, and will be closer to the front of the truck. If you hit a deep dip in a parking lot at a goofy angle your tire will make contract with the much bigger piece of cladding behind the door and rip it right off. First hand experience with that.

The set back plate is a 1/2" thick at best and the wedge doesn't necessarily lower it any further. It just gives you a proper pinion angle on your driveshaft. You'll be fine... unless the plates and wedges are really going to "set you back"? Sorry... long day, bad joke.
                        Hahahaha right on thanks for the input. Hopefully I can get this all done before Carlisle.
                        2011 GSXR 600
                        2011 Hayabusa
                        2012 Ram 3500 Cummins
                        1993 Toyota Supra
                        1995 Toyota Supra

Comment

UPDATE!
                          I purchased a set of the colorado spring. They worked great.... initially....
                          Once they settled, it dropped the truck to about about 1/4" from bump stop.
                          Took them off, put the stock ones on.

Comment

UPDATE!

Comment

Originally posted by 2500avalanche View Post
                              UPDATE!

ive cut bumpstops on the typhoons to get more tire just to a point tire doest hit cladding.

im going to be getting the colorado leafs with set back plates and see how it sits with trimmed bunpstops
                              WWW.TBSSOWNERS.COM
                              WWW.CTSVOWNERS.COM

2011 CTSV- 11.3@94 on the brakes
                              2011 Escalade- 16/14 wilwood set up/24" Escalade Replicas 14.5@97

Comment

Originally posted by NORCAL SS View Post

ive cut bumpstops on the typhoons to get more tire just to a point tire doest hit cladding.

im going to be getting the colorado leafs with set back plates and see how it sits with trimmed bunpstops
                                Sell me your stock leafs!
                                1992 Typhoon #0627

Comment

Working...
                                X