Idler Arm adjustment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idler Arm adjustment

I am in the middle of rebuilding my steering parts. I noticed that my idler arm has some up and down adjustment. What is the proper adjustment procedure or do I just try to put it back to how it was with the orignal idler arm.
    Dave
    Sy #2661

Re: Idler Arm adjustment

You need to get the idler arm the same hieght as the pitman arm.

Measure from the floor to the end of the arm and adjust from there. Of course that's counting on the floor bieng level and the frame bieng straight.

Tony
    Sy# 2356
    10.71@126
    Stock ecm, stock manifolds, stock suspension
    '07 Sierra 6.0 Max crew cab<--not so new ride anymore
    Nolan tuned 370hp/360ftlbs

Comment

I seem to remember hearing - if it pulls left at the shift - it adjusts down and if it pulls right - it adjusts up? I think...

Eh - tequila ownz me.
      RIP Myclone

Smeagol's Therapist - I'm failing miserably.

Comment

Are there any other methods on adjusting the idler? There is no mention in my service manual of haynes book for s-series. The best I could come up with is measuring the center link gap between the frame when at full right. I figured the pitman arm side would be the base. Then I tried to get the other side as close to that same height.

Comment

Make sure the frame is level and put a level on the drag link, adjust the idler arm up and down until the drank link is level. If you don't have it set right, the vehicle will jump to one side or the other when you hit a hard bump

Comment

I'm with Dave. Just be sure to not fool with it after alignment is set.
            If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Comment

Hey Fellas....I searched and found a link to the installation of the idler arm but it was dead. I know some of you may be rolling your eyes but I have never touched suspension parts on any rig I have ever owned. Now is the time to start so a little guidance and tips/tricks would be awesome.

Thanks - P

Comment

And before you start, the issue is?
                If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Don W. View Post
                  And before you start, the issue is?
                  The idler arm needs replacing......

Everything has been checked and this is the culprit...Already have the part and i found instructions so nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                  X