Air to Air Intercooler How-To

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air to Air Intercooler How-To

Im bringing this thread back. I have a Question to ask to everyone that mounted there Intercooler infront of the radiator, I mounted mine like this and always have over heating problems. I even have dual electric fans on there running constantly, and it still over heats, im using the same size core as epix. I know its this intercooler because it never did it with the stock setup. So the Question is anyone else having problems with overheating with intercooler in front of the radiator?
    Patrick

Comment

most of the successful setups leave about an inch between the IC and the rad
      they also have a shroud around the front of the IC to force more air through it
      instead of around it... this in turn puts more air through that part of the rad that
      is blocked by the IC

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
      Bully Stage 2 clutch
      Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter
      Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
      Walboro fuel pump and Johnston Intercooler pump
      LM1 wideband and 3" stainless exhaust system with an ITS minegate
      TO4B H3 turbo on homemade exhaust manifolds
      S10 caliper conversion.

Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
      Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
      Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Comment

You must get the pipes with the beaded ends...otherwise you will be blowing the hoses off every time like I am. Even with t-bolt clamps.
        10.4@127mph-stock ECM
        542 rwhp/ 608 Torque. PTE 67-V6.
        E85-TT-408"-AWD/4L80e under construction...

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone#2960 View Post
          You must get the pipes with the beaded ends...otherwise you will be blowing the hoses off every time like I am. Even with t-bolt clamps.
          I saw these the other day but it looks like they only go to 2"

http://www.holley.com/types/Earl%E2%...0EZ-Beader.asp
          1991 Syclone (2982)
          1977 Monte Calro (Soon to be LS Turbo)
          1986 Caprice (29 MPG)
          2006 Grand Prix

Listed most to least favorite

Comment

my kenne bell a2a bolts to stock a2w location and all i cut was a wheelwell

Comment

Originally posted by spooldup View Post
              You guys need to connect your pipes behind the front bumper. This is how mine is setup. I didn't have to cut any holes for pipes. The only thing i had to cut was the core support brace in the middle. Here maybe these pics will help come up with other idea's.

Please post where you got all those parts and dimensions. I love this combo!!

Comment

That kit hasn't been made for many years now
                03 Cobra, 88 Mustang, Sy1485(sold), 93 Ty(sold
                87GN(sold), 86 t-top GN(sold), 91 Mustang(sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
                  That kit hasn't been made for many years now
                  Was that the TurboTime prototype for dual intercoolers?
                  Roy
                  1991 GMC Syclone #1512
                  1991 GMC Syclone #2898

Nats X
                  Nats 12 - Long Haul Award - 2,554 miles round trip

Comment

Trivia: I recently ran my truck briefly without the intercooler. (Lower rad started leaking) IATs went to 230* Wow. Amazing that our stock IC can lower temps as much as it does. Over 100* drop even at full throttle. Depending on how long you stay at FT of course.
                    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
                      Was that the TurboTime prototype for dual intercoolers?
                      Nope. CAS (Charged Air Systems) aka Tony DeQuick... Renz had one for sale recently...
                      Paul Z.

sigpic
                      1991 Syclone # 2130. Black/Black. Built stock block, Nolan custom cam, Brodix heads with EFI converted carb intake, PTE 6466 Gen 2, PTE front mount A/A intercooler, Built 4L80e, DaveP Holley Dominator install with DIS, etc.
                      1993 Typhoon #1309. Black/Argent. Stockish.

Comment

The only problem I see with that kit is the upper intercooler is pretty much useless. Air is going to take the path of least resistance, its not going to go up and then back down.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian View Post
                          The only problem I see with that kit is the upper intercooler is pretty much useless. Air is going to take the path of least resistance, its not going to go up and then back down.
                          I guess if the lower is overworked the upper will pick up the slack, but this seems like a lot of extra stuff to over complicate the issue, since you can fit an extremely large intercooler behind the grill.
                          Roy
                          1991 GMC Syclone #1512
                          1991 GMC Syclone #2898

Nats X
                          Nats 12 - Long Haul Award - 2,554 miles round trip

Comment

Doesn't the entire system get filled with pressurized air??? If so, it would most likely flow through both???
                            Paul Z.

sigpic
                            1991 Syclone # 2130. Black/Black. Built stock block, Nolan custom cam, Brodix heads with EFI converted carb intake, PTE 6466 Gen 2, PTE front mount A/A intercooler, Built 4L80e, DaveP Holley Dominator install with DIS, etc.
                            1993 Typhoon #1309. Black/Argent. Stockish.

Comment

Originally posted by Don W. View Post
                              Trivia: I recently ran my truck briefly without the intercooler. (Lower rad started leaking) IATs went to 230* Wow. Amazing that our stock IC can lower temps as much as it does. Over 100* drop even at full throttle. Depending on how long you stay at FT of course.
                              That's quite a difference. Should be no surprise that you will get detonation with an intercooler in non working order... Water conducts heat around 25 times more efficiently than air does. Even though it can be a pain with the plumbing and whatnot, my truck will always have a water to air intercooler.
                              Mike Campbell

T3 20psi=12.4 @ 107 stock motor & stock turbo. R.I.P myclone

Comment

I totally agree with mike Campbell on this one. I've owned and tested the stock w2a, rpm a2a, a precision 24 inch core that I made the piping for, and the same 31" core configuration that is in this post. I've never had any overheating issues with any front mounts. The lowest and most constant intake temps I've had is with the one I have now. I use the stock w2a upper, a radiator out of a vw passat, and a 12v rv transfer pump and water wetter. I have 0 lag which I don't care what anyone says I can tell a difference between an air to air and the short sweep of the stocker not huge but it's definitely there. This setup out performs anything I have tried so far, and the 26 3/4" precision out performed the ebay 31".
                                Last edited by littleblackpsycho; 08-16-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X