SyTy/SGT - Forums TurboTweak

Go Back   SyTy/SGT - Forums > General Discussion > SyTy Projects, Photos & Multimedia

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
QuinnSY
Donating Member

QuinnSY's Syclone 2208 Rebuild

Well.... I killed the heart of the Syclone about 1 month ago, and have started the rebuild with dave. I completely killed every piece in the short block, but I already bought a used long block and sent it to the machine shop, so in about 2 weeks the build begins! I'm gonna build the crap outta the short block so I can't kill it. So far its lookin like the block bored 10 over since it was very clean, Cunningham rods, CP pistons, stock crank, 4 bolt mains, Haven't decided what cam quite yet, but a bit more aggressive than stock, and I think Brodix heads. I'm still ironing out the rest, so stay tuned!

And here it sat for 3 weeks 120 miles from home...

Until my dad let me use his bobcat trailer and truck when I got back from a work trip!

Engine Removal (Thanks to Dave!)

Heartless truck...

And the love letter to Jim Stokes on the passengers side wheel well all the way back towards the firewall where it couldn't be seen

The damage of the broken rods!

And the beginning of the new engine!

I'll keep you guys updated on the build!
91 Syclone #2208-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

93 Typhoon #0146- Totaled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 ECSB Duramax- Daily Driver

Last edited by QuinnSY; 10-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.
QuinnSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
eviltwin
"junkyard syclone"

Re: Quinnster's Syclone 2208 Rebuild

nice to see you got a new block to use. Good luck with the build!
05 GTO Single Turbo LS2
eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnster View Post
I'm gonna build the crap outta the short block so I can't kill it.
If you're gonna dream, might as well dream BIG . You're in good hands with Dave though, based on all I have heard about him. All the best with your build!!
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
dgoodhue
BuSTeD 4.3

A lot of detonation is probably why you grenaded your last motor, you need to figure that out before you damage the next one. Something isn't right with the way the last engine was running.
Sy #2661
dgoodhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
QuinnSY
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodhue View Post
A lot of detonation is probably why you grenaded your last motor, you need to figure that out before you damage the next one. Something isn't right with the way the last engine was running.
Yea, the last engine never ran right and it needed to get pulled to figure out what was wrong, and I knew it needed to be rebuilt. But yes, there was something wrong with the previous engine that never fully got assessed. I think slightly bent rod, but now theres 2 broken rods and 1 slightly bent
91 Syclone #2208-

Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
QuinnSY
Donating Member

So, its almost been a couple months before I have updated anything, so here we go... I got all the parts ordered and they are now just all getting in! So far recieved the Pro-Gram 4 bolt splayed mains which have been installed without hitting the water jacket! Got the L35 heads in which I am cleaning up, but leaving stock.

Just picked up the rods today from Cunningham which look Absolutely beautiful! And they are the 6" long rods which weight in at exactly 654 grams a piece which is 24 grams lighter than stock. Also there supposed to be good to 1600 HP, so I don't think I will break another rod!

And still to wait are the CP Pistons which should be in pretty soon, then the rest of the product depends on my $$$$ and productiveness! And here are some pics.

91 Syclone #2208-

Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
biggeolb

Post pictures of your progress, will have to check it out when you get it done.
biggeolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
QuinnSY
Donating Member

Well, no updates in a while, but all my custom order parts should all be coming in soon!
but for now these are some of the goodies I have recently picked up!

Silicone Vac kit since mine were getting a bit brittle... Thanks biggeolb!

New intercooler mounts since mine were missing... Thanks eviltwin!

New MAP to up the boost a bit. Thanks typhoon fever!

And my first visit to the block in a while. The holes for the 4 bolts are drilled and the block is just waiting for the pistons for honing and balancing!

So far I'm pretty much just waiting for my Custom Pistons and Camshaft, then the build and install begins. Hopefully no more than a month now till I can turn the magic key!!!
I'll keep Ya'll posted.
-Matt
91 Syclone #2208-

Last edited by QuinnSY; 06-04-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
QuinnSY
Donating Member

Well, stuff is finally starting to happen! The machinist called my yesterday and said the pistons finally came in from CP so he can now balance the rotating assembly and finish machining the block. I should have it back next Friday, then assembly starts! I'm going to really strive to have it on the road before April, but we will see. Heres some more random parts I have purchased.

AirTex water pump. I may switch out to an Edelbrock, but I'm not sure yet. I have heard this one works great.

My new Wilwood brake kit that I will install after everything is up & running. Also what brackets do I need to put these on the front? I only have front brakes for now, rear will come down the road.

And that's it for now, hopefully actual exciting updates will come in the next week when everything is ready and in my possession.
91 Syclone #2208-

Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
eviltwin
"junkyard syclone"

Those brakes are fancy looking! What size rotor is that?
05 GTO Single Turbo LS2
eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
92TyLA

nice stuff man hopefully is up and running for the meet on april
92 Ty #1061

Quote:
A wise man will step up over low blows , a foolish man will stoop down to meet them head on
92TyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
QuinnSY
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow92 View Post
nice stuff man hopefully is up and running for the meet on april
I am going to do every thing I can to get it running before April! I really don't wanna roll out with the Dakota... If it happens not to be done I will hitch a ride in a more fly truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Those brakes are fancy looking! What size rotor is that?
The rotors are 13". They look like they will fit nice n snug in the 17" wheel. I really wasn't planing on buying brakes yet, but I found a good deal on craigslist for 1/2 off so I jumped on it! I will start save up some money for the rear set, and hopefully I can find another deal...
91 Syclone #2208-

Last edited by QuinnSY; 03-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
QuinnSY
Donating Member

UPDATE:
So I now have every piece of the engine build in, and the machinist has to Balance the rotating assembly after he gets the crank back from the grinder, and send the heads out for freshening up and to get the new springs installed. I will have the short block in hand next week and then the heads in two weeks. I'm running a bit behind schedule, but aren't we all
Anyways heres some more pieces to the puzzle I now have in my possession!

I decided to go with the Edelbrock High Flow water pump

Also went the solid mounts route.

And my camshaft arrived today!

Then I went the route of keeping my old turbo but getting it rebuilt by "Custom Turbo" since I think it will keep up with me for a while. They did a really good job, and in only a day!

I really hope to have it running before April is over, but in the meantime it gives me extra time to get all my parts and frame extra clean!
91 Syclone #2208-

Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #14
MAK

Holy S%#@! After seeing those first pictures I do not think I will ever push my Syclone hard. I can not believe the way the rods looked or damage the rods caused. If that happened to me I do believe I would cry..... I did, however, notice what appears to be a little red '65 (?) Porsche 911 headlight and horn grill in one of the top pictures. That car is quite a little gem. Good luck with the build. Atleast, now, you can "beef" the engine up and make it even faster and stronger than it was......
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
QuinnSY
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK View Post
Holy S%#@! After seeing those first pictures I do not think I will ever push my Syclone hard. I can not believe the way the rods looked or damage the rods caused. If that happened to me I do believe I would cry..... I did, however, notice what appears to be a little red '65 (?) Porsche 911 headlight and horn grill in one of the top pictures. That car is quite a little gem. Good luck with the build. Atleast, now, you can "beef" the engine up and make it even faster and stronger than it was......
Thanks, don't be scared to push it hard, but if you hear detonation, see something off with one of the gauges, or hear something a little funny... Pay Attention!!! I think my engine failure was caused by not listening to the signs on top of I think the oil pressure dropped before it died also... Invest in "Data Masters" to monitor what is actually going on with the computer and learn from my mistakes. The engine probably needed to be rebuilt anyways, but I didn't want to kill it & make the whole block useless first though!

And the little Porsche isn't mine, it is DaveP's side project for someone. Good lookin car though!
91 Syclone #2208-

Google Ads