User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: syty performance (rpm motorsports)

syty performance (rpm motorsports) syty performance (rpm motorsports)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

syty performance (rpm motorsports)

has anyone had any issues? I ordered some je pistons a few months ago, they said they didn't sell those anymore but had some mahle pistons that are just as good. they were $800. when I gave them to the machine shop they said that they are a 4032 alloy and wouldn't trust them at my boost and power levels. I called rpm and told them what he said. the guy at rpm said they are fine and they use them on race engines. so I told the builder to go ahead. well it seems I have a cracked ringland after 500 miles and the most kr I have seen so far was 2.0 for only a second. so I went on rpms site again and he has the pistons he sold me as (street use) on the site for $595 and has another set of heavy duty pistons with a different material for $800. ive tried emailing, and calling with no response on either. I have not been rude.....but should I be pissed about this or just bite my lip and go with a lesson learned and not use them again?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: syty performance (rpm motorsports)

Mike used to be very responsive and a valuable member of the list.
    It seems as of late or since like 2011 he has distanced himself from the
    list and these trucks. I'm not sure why but i am sure his reasons are valid.
    A lot of folks that own these trucks want to do things on the cheap and want to hit
    people in the know for information just to go a different route. He has a business to
    run and he can't help everybody out without losing money. That said if the folks at
    RPM are not going to stand by there parts and information when selling to a good
    paying customer they need to be called out! If they don't want to support these trucks they should just bow out completely. I have called them at RPM in the recent past and kind of
    felt as I was bothering them with my business. I have subsequently stopped calling them
    completely. Good luck. Hope it works out for you. Paging Mike Lee!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had a bad experience with RPM per se, but it's clear dealing with them that they're not really in the SyTy parts business anymore.

My personal advice would be; unless you need a fabricated part that they make (ie. Headers, Oil Pan, Valve Covers) then get it somewhere else that is more appropriate. For example, pistons are a great example of a part that you have your trusted engine builder order so you don't deal with this kind of finger pointing later on.
    Justin "RealFastV6"
    1991 GMC Syclone
    1993 GMC Typhoon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds pretty shady if that's what happened.

$800 for 6 shelf pistons is stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should have sold you a piston the was 2618 and not 4032.
    The 4032 is intended for N/A to lightly boost applications. Good luck
    Getting a vender to warranty a piston.

Your best bet is to get some new 2618 pistons. Because you had 4032 before
    Your piston to wall clearance was tighter do to 4032 not expanding as much
    As 2618. So you should be able to get some 2618 pistons in the same size
    And have your machine shop just hone the block a little more for the right piston
    To wall clearance. Most 4032 are installed between .0025-.0030 piston to wall
    Clearance. Most 2618 call for a .0045-.0055 piston to wall clearance.
    1993 GMC typhoon #1834 best 1/4 12.34@107 stock turbo
    Stock long block.
    2.5in test pipe/3in sportsmachine cat back/TT chip
    80lb/hr injectors/ 5.5gal water/ice box. Sportsmachine heat exchanger
    17 Tundra crewmax limited
    05 evo VIII SSL 548awhp/502awtq.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not ever, under any circumstance, buy custom headers from him. The shop I work at had waited for a year and a half and these headers still fit like crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brianawd View Post
    They should have sold you a piston the was 2618 and not 4032.
    The 4032 is intended for N/A to lightly boost applications. Good luck
    Getting a vender to warranty a piston.

Your best bet is to get some new 2618 pistons. Because you had 4032 before
    Your piston to wall clearance was tighter do to 4032 not expanding as much
    As 2618. So you should be able to get some 2618 pistons in the same size
    And have your machine shop just hone the block a little more for the right piston
    To wall clearance. Most 4032 are installed between .0025-.0030 piston to wall
    Clearance. Most 2618 call for a .0045-.0055 piston to wall clearance.
    I was told they were the same as the he extreme.....They are 2618. I dont want them to warranty them since my spare motor has 2618 diamonds in it......I at this point would be happy with the $200 difference they screwed me out of. When I called him on it, I said I trusted his word what he told me about them and that I'd like to be able to buy more stuff and feel comfortable......His response was I don't care if you buy stuff from me,I don't deal with the syty stuff much anymore.....I'll buy another piston from someone else to match the ones I have now and fix it, sell it as a built short block to someone that isn't looking to go 10s

I Love My Ty's
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ls10 View Post
    I was told they were the same as the he extreme.....They are 2618. I dont want them to warranty them since my spare motor has 2618 diamonds in it......I at this point would be happy with the $200 difference they screwed me out of. When I called him on it, I said I trusted his word what he told me about them and that I'd like to be able to buy more stuff and feel comfortable......His response was I don't care if you buy stuff from me,I don't deal with the syty stuff much anymore.....I'll buy another piston from someone else to match the ones I have now and fix it, sell it as a built short block to someone that isn't looking to go 10s
    Find out what type of crap he is building now. And it there is a forum that uses whatever he is selling. Join it and let them know how he does business. Post pictures of the damage and quote what he told you.
    Phil
    91 Syclone 2097
    92 Typhoon 0042 Black/Black
    93 Typhoon 1955 Royal Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he really is a selfish piece of crap, I've been saying it for 15 years, he doesn't care about his customers, ever, he clearly doesn't care for or about sytys any longer, he does whatever it takes to make a quick buck and moves on.

sadly its taken the community this long to see through his smoke and lies, now that he has clearly expressed his lack of desire to deal with these trucks and has ripped off and screwed over enough people, maybe they will stop doing business with him.
    Save the drama for yo' mama!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have bought from RPM and had no problems. Not to say we all don't have different experiences with vendors. Many large name companies I have had horror stories with. Good bad or indifferent. I don't understand other members saying to follow whatever other products they sell and or slander them on forums. Doesn't really make much sense to me. What are in grade school? Again that's my opinion. Few people have all the info today yet make such profound comments and claims. All in an age where information is pushed around with a bulldozer daily.
    To the original poster. Pistons aren't cheap. Not fun to pull and rebuild a Sy engine at any cost. Guess you could look at the bright side that you didn't lose the whole engine. Which happens. I know all too well. Fix it with good parts. Or as you say slap it together and sell it to someone else.
    Four Syclones, Two Typhoons, and a pretty new Sonoma GT.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to "slap" it together. I'll replace the damaged piston, go over the whole motor and even replace bearings. It only has less than 500 miles but I'd like to know it's right if someone wants it....It would make a great much stronger stock replacement for someone.....Or I'll use my spare motor, and get the right pistons and cyl wall clearance and keep it as a spare. Just pissed about the whole thing

I Love My Ty's
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syclone3 View Post
    I have bought from RPM and had no problems. Not to say we all don't have different experiences with vendors. Many large name companies I have had horror stories with. Good bad or indifferent. I don't understand other members saying to follow whatever other products they sell and or slander them on forums. Doesn't really make much sense to me. What are in grade school? Again that's my opinion. Few people have all the info today yet make such profound comments and claims. All in an age where information is pushed around with a bulldozer daily.
    To the original poster. Pistons aren't cheap. Not fun to pull and rebuild a Sy engine at any cost. Guess you could look at the bright side that you didn't lose the whole engine. Which happens. I know all too well. Fix it with good parts. Or as you say slap it together and sell it to someone else.
    No I am not in grade school. If you are not smart enough to figure out what I was talking about you are not very intelligent.

Let me try to explain to you how to save other people from getting screwed. And to get even with the ass that has screwed you out of a lot of money. If they have moved on to manufacturing other items for another market. They haven't changed and are not going to offer great customer service just because they entered a new market.They just found a new group to screw. And yes I have had a bad experience with this company so I am not talking out of my ass. You go to the other forum members that are the next victims and tell them about the service you received from this company. If you don't know what the hell you are talking about. You should keep your mouth shut.

And you preaching about bad mouthing someone on another forum. Then later talking about slapping the engine together and screwing someone else. You are a piece of work.
    Phil
    91 Syclone 2097

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's where I got confused.....He said as I say slap it together and sell it to someone else.....I never said those words lol

I Love My Ty's
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ls10 View Post
    That's where I got confused.....He said as I say slap it together and sell it to someone else.....I never said those words lol
    I hope you don't think my post was aimed at you. It was not. It was aimed at the idiot that was in the quote at the top of my last post.
    Phil
    91 Syclone 2097

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)