User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There Any Cool Factor Left??

Is There Any Cool Factor Left?? Is There Any Cool Factor Left??
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is There Any Cool Factor Left??

While doing my Bowtie build over the last 5 years, I have seen a lot of things change while not changing myself. I am seeing a lot of guys even guys close to me saying **** the V6 and going LS. I admit I have thought about it but I don't think it out loud. So the Bowtie for obvious reasons isn't that cool it seems due to the high cost and rarity of parts as we have all discussed here before.

So if we are to change with the rest of the car world and move forward but don't want to move in a direction that is nearly unattainable, what are everyones thought of the LV3 ECOTEC V6? It has been brought up before but I am looking around and finding them for sale anywhere from $2000 - $5,000. Not too bad.

So the question, if anyone were to install one in a SYTY with turbo, would there be a cool factor or just another boring turd?
    Mike
    92 TY#0073
    93 TY#0965-SOLD!
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Wife's new ride
    It's tough being narcissistic, especially when you realize that nobody wants to be like you.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is There Any Cool Factor Left??

I would love to see it. Youre starting out at base syty numbers and then adding turbo. What do these weigh?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cool factor is variant according to the individual you want to impress. IMHO, the cool factor is originality for these trucks being how they are a special edition. Ultimately, it should be built according to your version of coolness.
    I repainted mine including the cladding. It looks better to me and it's easier to care for. I decided to get a feeler for sale advert only to have a picky potential buyer whine how much he would have to spend to get back to its original condition or how he would have to buy new cladding, blah, blah, blah. Then, he made his low ball offer.
    IMO, following someone else's build is a result of a well orchestrated business plan especially if they sell you all the parts you'll ever need. How cool is that? That engine you mention has its own challenges as is the VVT control which can be deleted. Your initial investment of $2000-$5000 can escalate very quickly. Again, just my opinion. Build it your way and be the first. I'd get a Tesla and build me the first electric SyTy if money were no object. Now, that would be too cool for school in my book.
    Last edited by IGottaSy; 07-08-2017 at 07:31 AM.
    IGottaSy so IWannaTy no longer.

Taking the streets by STORM!

My smart phone makes me look dumb when I T-Type

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I originally thought about building a ls for mine but just couldlnt do it! I absolutely love the sound of the v6 spooling up on the line! + the sound of a oddfire screaming at 7000+ RPM is just awesome menacing sound! Thats my idea of cool! My recent Tbss stroker build was nice sounding but just didnt sound mean like a oddfire V6! + everyone now days build the lsx engines! I like knowing that when I go to the track i will be the only one at the track sporting a nascar based oddfire V6! Thats cool to me!
    Last edited by SYCLONE#1531; 07-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    www.westfabrications.com
    INTERCOOLER SCOOP AND ENGINE TORQUE STRAP SUPPLIER
    Torque Straps Available now!!
    7.2 @ 99mph 1/8th / 1.70 60ft
    11.40 @ 117mph / STOCK LB
    286CI ODDFIRE BUILD UNDER CUNSTRUCTION

https://www.youtube.com/user/westfabrications/videos

Stab it and steer it
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the "coolness" of the Syclone is alive and well. At least at the Sonoma Raceway which I frequent. Hardly a week goes by that someone, usually a younger person believe it or not, stops by and says something nice. I like the compliments of the announcer who often reminds folks about what a "sleeper" the truck is.

Engine conversions, when done correctly, can be a thing of beauty. I did one many years ago as was happy with the "factory" look. Having something unique is a big plus in my book. Since it's not my money I say go for it...
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I considered going the ecotec route before going LS, to me it came down to cost-hp ratio also the headache of being a guiney pig so to speak. Im sure their is someone going fast with one somewhere, but they will never have aftermarket heads/cam/crank for the v6, or maybe simple stuff like headstuds and gaskets are different. How do you control it pcm wise. All of the turbo stuff would be custom just like a LS..
    Its taken me 3yrs on my build so far so im sure things might of changed with all of that, but my point is thats alot of headache (and $$$) to spend on trying to go fast with something that imo just wont be fast enough for just trying to be different. If youre not running 9's w/1000hp now adays most people dont give you a second look..
    LS is boring and overdone, but theirs a reason why..
    Bowties are cool and i love the sound, still not worth the cost-hp ratio, that and the rareness/difficulty of the build and reliabiltiy imo..
    I didnt buy my truck or LS swap it for the cool factor tho, ive always liked these little brick shitboxes for some reason lol
    Just my 2cents
    03 arrival blue SSS
    sy1373
    sy2557 sold in 04

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not a Gen 2 5.7? They make an incredible amount of cost effective parts for that engine sense the LS has been out. Dart makes blocks/heads and so on that are way more affordable than LS stuff. Not to mention blowing up a bow tie V6 would bring a tear to a mans eye. Blow up a gen 2 and you could have another at your door step next day, no big deal.

Cool factor? It's not an LS
    91 SY #966
    92 Teal TY #414 Nats 05 Pure Stock Champ
    92 4dr T15 Jimmy 4x4

Unbusted $#it box
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, it would be lumped in with the LS swap. And you'd forever be in the "Why didn't you go V8 swap" conversation with people. If you are changing the heart, might as well go LS and be done with it.
    -Austin Mears

2017 WRX Premium M6
    Former owner:
    '91 Syclone #1616
    '92 Typhoon #0014
    '06 TBSS/3SS

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think any cool factor involving these trucks died a long time ago, regardless of what motor is under the hood. These trucks don't draw the long stares from the barely legals like it did 25 years ago... instead you're lucky to get a 2nd glance from a guy in a beat to hell toyota with lawnmowers in the back, dreaming of how much pep boys shit he could decorate it with.

We're all here and own these POS trucks for one reason or another, so I say do whatever makes YOU happy (as long as it's not an LS ). At the end of the day, you're the one paying for it, and you're the one driving it! ...maybe.

Over the years I've wasted countless hours and dollars on these trucks, and not one minute or one cent has been spent to gain the approval of anyone else. It's always been for one reason, and one reason alone... me! I couldn't possibly care less if anyone thinks my truck is cool, or fast, or rare, or an ugly dated piece of 90s crap... As much as I curse this god forsaken biggest piece of garbage shit that's ever been in my driveway... there's nothing that puts a smile on my face quite like a boost launch, or that brief moment of nostalgia I get when I'm walking out of a store and see my Ty from across the parking lot and remember myself in 9th grade wanting a Ty more than anything.

Now go forth and build your Ty, and enjoy it! Just remember... "The lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep"
    1991 Syclone #1931 (sold)
    1992 Typhoon #0627

To truly love these trucks, you must HATE them more.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    I think any cool factor involving these trucks died a long time ago, regardless of what motor is under the hood. These trucks don't draw the long stares from the barely legals like it did 25 years ago... instead you're lucky to get a 2nd glance from a guy in a beat to hell toyota with lawnmowers in the back, dreaming of how much pep boys shit he could decorate it with.

We're all here and own these POS trucks for one reason or another, so I say do whatever makes YOU happy (as long as it's not an LS ). At the end of the day, you're the one paying for it, and you're the one driving it! ...maybe.

Over the years I've wasted countless hours and dollars on these trucks, and not one minute or one cent has been spent to gain the approval of anyone else. It's always been for one reason, and one reason alone... me! I couldn't possibly care less if anyone thinks my truck is cool, or fast, or rare, or an ugly dated piece of 90s crap... As much as I curse this god forsaken biggest piece of garbage shit that's ever been in my driveway... there's nothing that puts a smile on my face quite like a boost launch, or that brief moment of nostalgia I get when I'm walking out of a store and see my Ty from across the parking lot and remember myself in 9th grade wanting a Ty more than anything.

Now go forth and build your Ty, and enjoy it! Just remember... "The lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep"
    The love for these trucks are with the owners and no one else.It's cool when someone comes up and talks with you about them.I agree with you 100% what you wrote down.What you as the owner of the truck wants to do is up to you.Cool factor of truck is among the few owners of this rare turd box myself included.Changing motors and doing upgrades is strictly a owner thing.
    1986 Buick skylark first car Sold
    1992 Buick Skylark coupe Sold
    1992 Acura Integra 4 door rice burner POS Sold
    1987 Chevy S10 SOLD
    1998 Gmc Sonoma 148k 5speed V6 4.3 liter Sold
    2001 Gmc Yukon Currently driving 115K
    My truck !!
    http://www.syty.net/forums/body-paint-and-detailing/93685-0213-typhoon-renew.html

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If somebody gets that conversion figured out in a cost effective way I think I'd be cool. It'd be potentially a good way to update the trucks without losing the lineage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Justin "RealFastV6"
    1991 GMC Syclone
    1993 GMC Typhoon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you kidding? The only motor that belongs in there is a 4.3... and we are lucky to have a special strong block, bow tie to step it up... I'd consider 3 liters enough displacement to do anything on the street... say 1000hp club... it just all becomes about the money. You want to have a cheap super fast ride, bastardizing a specialty vehicle like a syty is not a cheap way to go. The two thought shouldnt be in the same sentence. You have and like the truck for what it is.. keep it that way. I mean LS motor is cool n all but go stuff it in a mustang if you want to make a fast bastard or a 4x4 s10 w a body kit... Nothing sounds like a raped 4.3. It's unique like the truck go that route. Its cool. LS just had to be done but I don't see the point until your going 1500hp plus...
    '48 GMC FC102
    '87 BMW 535i
    '95 Range Rover Classic LWB
    '08 YZF-R1
    '91 Ext. Cab, LB4, 2111, A2W, MS-II, 4l80e, Yank 2800ss

Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    Are you kidding? The only motor that belongs in there is a 4.3... and we are lucky to have a special strong block, bow tie to step it up... I'd consider 3 liters enough displacement to do anything on the street... say 1000hp club... it just all becomes about the money. You want to have a cheap super fast ride, bastardizing a specialty vehicle like a syty is not a cheap way to go. The two thought shouldnt be in the same sentence. You have and like the truck for what it is.. keep it that way. I mean LS motor is cool n all but go stuff it in a mustang if you want to make a fast bastard or a 4x4 s10 w a body kit... Nothing sounds like a raped 4.3. It's unique like the truck go that route. Its cool. LS just had to be done but I don't see the point until your going 1500hp plus...
    I agree 100%. I don't think these trucks should be all about 1000-15000 hp LS's. just build a Camaro or Corvette. The reason I love these trucks is the rarity, the limited build numbers, and the unique setup. I love that this motor was only used in Syclones and Typhoons and for me, having a setup nobody else has is badass enough for me. I feel like converting to LS is too common across all hotrods. I would hate to have put $20,000+ in properly converting to LS, then taking it to a show and seeing all kinds of 1 off builds with my drivetrain.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's cool that the Syclone & Typhoon were the only vehicles that GM chose to put a performance version of the 4.3 engine in. All the other vehicles with the 4.3 engine are just general service vehicles. If resale value & exclusivity are what you desire then keep it as close to stock as possible & miles low. This seems to be the only trucks that are bringing good money these days. Other than that I say do whatever your dreams & bank account will allow. It's your truck not anyone else's, if you want to build a high dollar V6 or swap in a modern LS powerplant then do it. I also believe there's still a good amount of low mileage stock trucks out there, we just don't see or hear about them because they are hidden away in storage somewhere. As far as exclusivity of these trucks goes, what is the number of trucks with a nicely done LS swap compared to trucks with a modified V6 powerplant. Whether it's a stock truck or modified truck, I think they're all Cool or I wouldn't own one.
    If you want something that's really cool & want to turn heads then sell your truck & build a Street Rod. I went to a Good Guys car show awhile back & saw some jaw dropping vehicles. WOW Unbelievable!!!
    If I ever get rid of my truck that will be my next adventure.
    Whatever you all decide to do with your trucks l won't judge, just be happy with it & enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    Just curious, do you own a sy or ty? If so is it in running condition and not on jackstands?

Serious question to anyone here as im not sure, whats the quickest awd bowtie build? I know of a few almost or soon to be done that will be quick. But whats the quickest non 2wd bowtie sy or ty (excluding mrsyclone if he still even uses a bowtie) thats made a pass?
    03 arrival blue SSS
    sy1373
    sy2557 sold in 04

16. Dislikes MadMike disliked this post

Thread Information