User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Lower intake swap / Vortec head & cam install on stock bottom end

Lower intake swap / Vortec head & cam install on stock bottom end Lower intake swap / Vortec head & cam install on stock bottom end
    Serious about performance Tooky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete DIY Vortec heads/cam upgrade Budget & Parts List

(I'm reposting this from a new thread I made in Engine Tech, just for the sake of completeness with this thread.)

Throughout this thread, I promised a complete budget and parts list. Check this out!

(click to view ENTIRE budget)

Source: http://www.powertuneplus.com/syclone...ion_budget.htm

Download as Excel XLS: http://www.powertuneplus.com/syclone...ion_budget.xls

Basically $1,504.53 for all the necessary parts/gaskets shipped, including the cam and valvetrain. I also ended up buying over $600 of tools to do the job 100% D.I.Y. (except the machine work obviously.) This budget IMO, is the cheapest possible amount you could spend to do a complete Vortec heads/cam upgrade with quality parts.

Now you know exactly what it costs to do it from start to finish!
    Last edited by Tooky; 04-10-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11.45 @ 117 for $8600 *COMPLETE* Budget & Parts List

I also have a complete budget for my entire truck; I put it in a new thread in Engine Tech: 11.45 @ 117 for $8600 *COMPLETE* Budget & Parts List. Here's a repost for completeness' sake:

In addition to my Complete DIY Vortec heads/cam upgrade Budget & Parts List, here is a 100% complete budget & parts list for every modification/upgrade on my truck since I bought in 2001!

The goal of this build is to go as fast as possible for the least amount of money , still using quality parts. On my truck specifically, I have opted to keep all the stock accessories and full weight. (except the ABS which sucks to begin with.)

(click to view ENTIRE budget)

Source: http://www.powertuneplus.com/syclone...117_budget.htm

Download as Excel XLS: http://www.powertuneplus.com/syclone...117_budget.xls

Basically $4,464.53 for everything except fully built 700R4 transmission ($2800), custom billet 6-lug torque converter ($846), and $500 of road race parts. Bringing the grand total amount I have spent on modifications on my truck since purchased in 2001 to: $8,610.53

Now you know exactly what it costs, so get out there and build one!!
    Last edited by Tooky; 04-10-2008 at 10:38 PM.
    Josh Straub, Syclone #0044.
    My tuning/tech how-to DIY site: www.PowerTunePlus.com - Learn how to make your truck Fast for Cheap!

Vortec heads/218* cam 11/10/07: 11.45 @ 117.7 17-20 PSI [timeslip] Vortec Install Thread, 100+ Photos

* DIY Vortec heads/cam upgrade Budget & Parts List ($1,504)
    * 11.45 @ 117 COMPLETE Budget & Parts List (Every part on my truck! = $8,600)

** signature size violation - text removed **

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Track Results

I made a thread in Racing your Brick with my 11.45 @ 117 new best track results, but wanted to mention a few things in here.

Mistakes

I made a few mistakes in the past few weeks and fortunately, the engine handled them with no complaints!

1.) While first tuning, a longtime best friend paid a visit and was begging for a boost launch but the fuel was right at 1/2 tank (which is dangerously close to where it will cavitate on a launch and make the truck cut out). Against my better judgement (this was probably his last chance to get a launch before winter storage) I did it anyways and the truck DID cut off in a big way right as the boost came on and the power started hitting hard in the top of 1st. It cut out and backfired and then the engine went dead silent and all power stopped!

I looked down and saw the tach still at 900, so it was idling. It just turned out to be a blown off intercooler hose. But definitely something I'd rather have avoided since the alcohol keeps spraying and could have enough fuel for a very lean condition.

2.) During test and tune on Saturday at the dragstrip, I got the knock to virtually flat 0.0 so I started cranking the timing advance aggressively and things were going smoothly until I reached 27* (up from 20* just a week or two ago) and I'm going down the track in 3rd gear when suddenly I hear a "TICK............TICK..TICK.............." and I look down at the Datamaster Spark Retard alert window and it's at 4.5* knock suddenly, but it immediately dropped back down to 0 (at the standard decay rate) so I stayed in it. I'm not 100% sure because I had a snug full Snell helmet on and the drag car I was racing was louder than mine, but I really think that was a little bit of true detonation. I can count on one hand the times my truck has ever "pinged" like that in it's life.. one of them was a few years ago when I was experimenting with running a 99% nitromethane mixture in the alcohol injection tank... I'm pretty sure I never mentioned that little R&D to anyone before

3.) When I first got it together and ready to drive, I was driving it around the block and refilling the radiator to purge it. That same day I got to testing WOT for the 1st time so I was really excited. I come back from 4 WOT pulls around the block and get to the garage and there's water all over the corner of the engine bay I just spent so much time cleaning. Turns out I left the radiator cap LOOSE and the whole time I was out there standing on the gas pedal, it was probably gushing out water!! I had to add about a gallon to the radiator to get it back up after that. Stupid.

But the bottom line is, if I had cleaned the deck inadequately, or failed to torque the head bolts properly, or nicked the cam bearings bad enough to cause them to spin, I think any problems would have surfaced by now with ~600 miles on the engine and a little punishment and abuse to (accidentally) test out the limits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Performance Predictions!

I made these predictions on 08-13-2007 well before I even cracked the 1st head bolt loose on the stock heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooky
    I also spent some time (okay, all of my free time lately ) thinking about what this "should" run after it's finished. I came up with three scenarios. Usually when you get something done, it either works just like you thought, better than you thought, or nowhere near as good as you thought it would. Here's my predictions:

Worst case scenario (assuming the bottom end doesn't let loose which is the ultimate worst case scenario )
    11.40 - 11.50 @ 115-116 MPH. I could see this happening if the unported vortecs are severely overhyped and/or my PT51 turbo is already closer to it's limit than I thought.

What I realistically expect once tuned well at high boost with alcohol
    10.95-11.30 @ 117-124 MPH. I'll still be somewhat "surprised" if it really works out this well!

Best case scenario (if it works beyond my expectations)
    10.65-10.90 @ 125-127 MPH. I doubt this would happen but I've had a few mods on my truck work out better than I expected in the past..
    At this point (11.45 @ 117.7) it falls between the "Worst case scenario" and "Realistic expectations", matching what I predicted under Worst case scenario (vortecs were a little overhyped, but way more significantly the PT51 turbo definitely appears to be at its limit already, given how it now goes slower at anything over just 20 PSI boost).

Now I'm real anxious to find out if a bigger turbo will move it up into the high side of the "Realistic expectations" (high 10s). I wish I could borrow somebody's GTQ67 or Stealth 70 for like, a week!

Otherwise if I can get a 2 step and front end limiters installed this month yet, I can try for high 10s... but it's going to start snowing (and salt) any time now.
    Last edited by Tooky; 11-13-2007 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lower intake swap / Vortec head & cam install on stock bottom end

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Do you plan on posting your complete image archive and steps of disassemble/reassemble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Do you plan on posting your complete image archive and steps of disassemble/reassemble?

X2
    75 vega, cage, V8, 12bolt small tire(sold)
    76 Pro street vega GN SFI turbo motor/200R4 (sold)
    current vehicles:1995 ext S-10 RWD 74mmPTE,a2a,,83#inj,RENZ intake,code59,3000stall,no ac,no PS,Father of twin boys age 13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow..great info! I started reading this over two hours ago and was well worth the read!

1991 Zr1 w/415 lt5 on 19" HRE's
    1967 Nova SS w/alston clip on M/T drags
    1991 Syclone...#1753..cleaned up...now w/Seimens ev1's
    1991 Syclone ...#1741..TTv8 9.53@148mph..sold
    1992 Typhoon...#1517.. wht/gry 11.98@117mph..sold
    1991 Syclone...#1400..bone stocker..sold

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread Information