need help please

krissy92ty

ok lets see if anyone of you can help me figure this out... my ty will run really good during the summer but when it hits fall or winter or wet on the ground she falls on her face as soon as she hits 10 pounds of boost also when it hits to ten pounds she sputters then back fires ... its like i lose spark could it be from my msd..

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: need help please

what plugs are you running?

what are they gaped at?

plug wire condition/age/brand?

has the problem always been there or just in recent year(s)/month(s)?

did you install the MSD (or installed during your ownership)?

Sounds like it could be an ignition issue based on when it happens. Possibly a circuit board problem in the MSD....

krissy92ty

i actually am going to change my plugs and wires next week to see if that is the problem which brand would you recomand? this has been a problem for years i just dont drive it during the winter but i want to get it fixed. i bought it with the msd already installed..

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

i actually am going to change my plugs and wires next week to see if that is the problem which brand would you recomand? this has been a problem for years i just dont drive it during the winter but i want to get it fixed. i bought it with the msd already installed..

I would get a set of NGK UR5's if the truck is stock. Gap them to .032.

Wires, a lot of people use Taylors, but any quality brand 8mm wire should be fine.

Also replace the Cap and Rotor with a quality brand with brass inserts.

Start with that and go from there.

krissy92ty

i got my typhoon out of my divorce he didnt want it so he got all the toys instead so as far as i know the plugs havent been changed since i have owned her im not sure tho he could have change them he took good care of her just never played with the that problem cuz she doesnt get driven a lot but i need to get her fix so i am giving her a tune up... but my ex took the wheel wells off and the msd is mounted on the side fender were the tires can flip up water or it could get cold moisture in it. would it be smarter to have it get moved inside underneath the dash? i dont know anything about a msd so if it is the circuit board can i buy that part or do i have to get a new msd? sorry im seriously still learning thanks for your help

Logan

i got my typhoon out of my divorce

Best story ever on how someone got their Ty. Congrats and Welcome to the community.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here and any problem you have has most likely been experienced by others so use the search feature and you will be amazed at the tech threads that some people have made.

krissy92ty

thank you i will for sure. i wanna do a lot to her so ill make sure i do more research on everything

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

I was having issues somewhat similar. Just wasn't running correctly under full throttle. It was the wires. Got a very nice set from NAPA. Delphi I think. Really perked thing up. And I'm the odd-ball, I run Autolite Racing, AR93 if I remember, could be wrong on the number. Gap .028

Welcome and let us know what happens.

gobabygo

i had kinda the same problem with my ty that i got from harmon. it ended up being the msd coil going out.

JAY

Donating Member

Welcome. I have friends around the Kaysville area. I'll have to look you up sometime & checkout your TY.
Have you replaced the fuel filter? What octane gas are you putting in?
Any updates on what issues were fixed/still remain?

Last edited: