New Ty, first timer tracking down a sputter issue

Spencedaddy

Hi guys! After many years I finally got a Ty.

newish rebuilt motor, but it runs like CRAP. Terrible tach flutter, tech movement on cranking (goes up and down while the motor cranks) , has a miss and can’t drive it it’s missing so badly. If I try and push the pedal it spools the turbo, gets up to about 3000rpm; then starts bucking and the waste gate opens in a dramatic fashion.
Tank has new gas in it, plus some injector cleaner just in case, I have not measure fuel rail pressure yet
It had a Ultimate Chip, which I pulled off to diagnose this issue. I have replaced the ICM, coil, checked that all wires are doing okay and firing, plugs look pretty new (I will check them soon), cap and rotor are very clean/new, and all the connections seem good.
I’m doing a vacuum leak test this weekend, have checked the codes (I have no codes) and all fuses are fine.

My next things to check are the IAC, fuel rail pressure, vacuum leaks, and swap out the ECM with a reman unit. Anything else I should be checking?
Thanks everyone. So happy to finally be a part of this community

Last edited:

IGottaSy

Check and recheck timing. Could be they stabbed the dizzy at 180 or aligned the marks on the harmonic balancer incorrectly. Firing order too. "Welcome to the jungle" :)

Spencedaddy

Wow

that was exactly the problem! The timing was WAYYYYYY retarded.

well, since I have the V5-50# ultimate chip, what should I set base timing to? I can’t seem to find that answer!

IGottaSy

No joke. You will figure these trucks out eventually. I've learned enough to get myself into trouble.