Sy #2875 Build :eh:

Maple Syrup

Canadian Bacon Breath
So I figured it was time to start a build thread to show everyone the progress of Syclone #2875 over the next few months. With a plan, and a budget and a goal of driving this truck to Homecoming 2012, I started taking the truck apart this past weekend.

Background

My Father and I bought this truck in August 2010 from the previous owner in Virginia. We purchased it just as it looks in the first picture with no engine, however otherwise complete. We were told it previously spent the rest of its life in Arizona (cant confirm this though).

Plan

- Frame Up Build
-New Paint
-LS1 or LS2
-4l80e
- Turbocharged (possibly next season)
-Tubular Control Arms
-Coilovers F/R
- Big Sway Bars
- Keep AC and all the goodies.

This truck will serve as a daily driver, work truck, track truck ect. Basically something my father and I can build and enjoy everyday in the summer months, whatever the situation.

I will be adding pictures of my progress as it happens, as well as new parts, and changes to the truck as it get finished. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Before going into the garage to start its life on jackstands.
DSC02138.jpg

DSC02139.jpg

In her new home.
DSC02141.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

Box ready to come off
DSC02143.jpg

Box off
DSC02144.jpg

Next to take apart and off of the truck were the doors
DSC02146.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

I stopped there as it was getting late and I wanted to get the box to work so that I could start prepping it for paint this week.
DSC02147.jpg

Thats all for now!

Maple Syrup

Canadian Bacon Breath
Re: Sy #2875 Build :eh:

stripped the truck a little more this weekend. It still doesn't look like much, However im trying to just take my time, label things, and keep things organised so that re-intalling everything is as smooth as possible.

DSC02152.jpg

I went down tuesday evening after work to catch up with Tom from Sportmachines and also grab some parts for the truck.

Got everything that I needed, as well as these: :lol:

DSC02153.jpg

Prime Gears 4l80e kit
DSC02157.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

Sportmachines Tubular Control Arms, powdercoated satin black
DSC02154.jpg

And heres a picture of my Hypertech coilovers ill be using for this build. (front coil on the left, Rear on the right.)
DSC02151.jpg

Thats all for now!

gstacky

Looks like fun.
Hey Tyler, that truck didn't come with a stock downpipe did it? If it did and you want to get rid of it let me know.

Maple Syrup

Canadian Bacon Breath

Looks like fun.
Hey Tyler, that truck didn't come with a stock downpipe did it? If it did and you want to get rid of it let me know.

I got the truck without the downpipe, it only has the 3" dp back exhuast as pictured! Get in touch with Tom at Sportmachines, there is a good chance he has a stock sy dp, and he could ship it to you!

Man I need to get to work on my 93 ty

Do it! you wont regret it!

Looks like an awesome build....I will be watching for sure.:tup:

Stay tuned! I'll hopefully have a update every week.

What's up with the sportmachines tubular control arms?

Dont know exactly what you mean by that, but there very very nice pieces. They seem very strong, the welds are beautiful, and they seem quite a bit lighter than the stock arms. I havnt stopped drooling over them since tuesday night!

Maybe Tom can chime in here about them, or pm you with details!

Maple Syrup

Canadian Bacon Breath

Havnt had as much time to work on the truck in the last two weeks as i've wanted but here's a update anyways!

I decided to take the Gastank, Gas lines and driveshaft out.

This leaves only a few more things to take off once the cab comes off so that I can blast, seal and paint the frame and other components

DSC02160.jpg

Next I figured that I would sort through the messy and unlabled factory harness

DSC02164.jpg

Then I delt with the mess of wires from the battery that was ran from the front of the truck to the bed, and the stereo wiring....

DSC02165.jpg

Half of what I took out, Havnt even gotten all the stereo wiring sorted out yet

DSC02166.jpg

Being as far as I can, (waiting for the hoist to be free) to take the cab off and start dissassembeling the frame for blasting ect, I decided to start working on the body to save me some time later on.

The truck box was fairly straight, with the exception of the top rails, so I blocked it in 120 and fixed all the dents on the rails. then primer! put on 4 coats, now the waiting game to let it sit,sink and cure!

DSC02169.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

Then I started the doors, They werent particularly bad, but they had had quite a few little ripples and door dings that I didnt find until I blocked them out. Again I blocked them with 120 gritt, of course had to do some body work before primer.

DSC02180.jpg

After a few hours of body work and prepping, I was ready to prime!

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

Boring gray, another 4 coats!

DSC02183.jpg

By this time it was late sunday night, So I blocked out the other door and called it a day.

DSC02184.jpg

When I got home, The mailman had brought a little suprise for me!!......

My plates came in!

DSC02185.jpg

Thanks all for now, Stay tuned!

Smkur50

SYTY Fleet owner

great lookin build! I like your plans, my plans are very similar. I don't have the time to even touch mine for a while but I am collecting parts here and there.

Keep up on the progress photos! Ill be lookin foward to them. :tup:

SEL777

One of 101

Nice, quick work so far. I love to keep checking all the projects in here...it keeps me motivated. And I hope you meet your time and budjet deadlines, and see ya at Homecoming.

Maple Syrup

Canadian Bacon Breath

I know its been a few weeks since i've updated this thread, but ive been super busy on the truck!

I got my donor car that i'll be pulling the motor out of. I wanted a running/driving car as opposed to purchasing a motor already out of a vehicle, this way I know its in good operating condition. 98' Z28 Camaro - 5.7L LS1 is all her glory.

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

Also got my 4L80E core trans, After mockup this will be getting a fresh rebuild.

DSC02186.jpg

With the truck as far apart as it could be and the cab ready to come off, I put the wheels back on and rolled it out to the other bay where the hoist was.

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02203.jpg

backed the trailor in to load it up.

DSC02222.jpg

:D a little later...

DSC02223.jpg

Then I started to prep the cab, did some body work to straighten out some of GM's factory flaws and get it ready for paint! Sprayed some primer where it needed it.

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

Another week or so passed (its all starting to become a blurr) and it was time for paint

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

Tailgate getting body work, was beat up on the inside, pretty typical.

DSC02438.jpg

Next I decided to start unassemble and dye the dash, This needed to happen right away because I wasnt pulling the dash, and the front window was out for paint. So it only left me a day or so to sand, prep and spray the dash before the window got put back in.

DSC02442.jpg

And after a few hours of preping and painting it was finally time to spray!

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02448.jpg

:lol:

DSC02450.jpg

Got back out in the shop for a few nights after work and stipped the frame completely for blasting, but first cut off the uneeded brackets and crossmember.

DSC02455.jpg

After cutting and grinding the back half started to clean up

DSC02452.jpg

DSC02453.jpg

Then my father and I loaded up the frame, rear end, diff, rear sway bar and a few other pieces to take to get sand blasted, got them back the next day and this is where im at currently!

DSC02456.jpg

DSC02457.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

stay tuned, more soon.

fauXGT

Brick Pilot

Need to yank the LS1 brakes off that donor & get 'em on your truck:tup:

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.

Do you own a body shop? Looks like you've got the tools and the skills! Great work - can't wait to see the outcome.

Subscribed :tup: