Thread: Garnet Typhoon #1519 112k miles *STOCK*

Garnet Typhoon #1519 112k miles *STOCK* Garnet Typhoon #1519 112k miles *STOCK*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Garnet Typhoon #1519 112k miles *STOCK*

Garnets are desirable, IMO. Probably command about a 30% premium for the color. 100K+ mile 93's that need nothing are about 10-11K based on the couple of recent sale prices I'm aware of. So a Garnet that needs nothing might be 13,000-14,300. 14,300 is getting close to the LW404 Aspen, however, and no Garnet has the provenance LW404 does. So I'm a little high.

I think your truck has been repainted before (GM did not use clear coat in 1993) and now needs paint again. Nothing worse than painting a badly repainted car. Tons more work than dealing with a deteriorated OEM finish. Plus the cladding has been off before, how much damage was done to it in previous repairs? The current cladding color is incorrect, and looks like azz IMO. And you say the interior needs TLC. Interior parts in good condition are very tough to find, and expensive if you do. We won't even get into "DaveP's rule": Just assume that any SyTy needs an engine, even if it runs pretty well at present.

Your ads haven't contained enough pics or details to be able to assess value or condition. It's spent time in snow country. How crusty is it? How bad IS the interior? What does the engine compartment look like?

Give it a decent complete paint job in the correct colors, detail the interior, engine compartment and chassis, and it'll sell for 12-14 fairly easily. But you'll spend 7,500 getting there. If you're getting "low ball" offers in the 5500-7000 range, now you know why. 7,000 isn't "low" for a Garnet that needs paint. And 5500 isn't "low" for a Garnet that needs paint, interior, engine, and has chassis and engine compartment crustiness.

Good luck. Keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Your ads haven't contained enough pics or details to be able to assess value or condition. It's spent time in snow country. How crusty is it? How bad IS the interior? What does the engine compartment look like?
    HUH??

Quote Originally Posted by Baythan View Post
    That is one of the best series of photos I've ever seen for a truck for sale. Kudos. Nicely done...buyer will know exactly what they're getting. Most ads never show this level of detail.
    Click on the link, Dave. The photos are incredible. Maybe the ad lacks details, but the photos show all the weak spots.

http://s69.photobucket.com/user/bull...n%20For%20Sale

I agree on the valuation comments, but if he holds out long enough, the "right" buyer will eventually be found.

On the other hand, if he yields to your wisdom, I'll buy the truck for $5,500.
    Steve
    TY 0482 1992 White/Argent 43k
    SY 1548 Sold '07
    TY 1237 Sold '12
    SY 1700 sold '14
    RIP JACK 1948-2015

Mo' Boost Mo' Problems! Bullydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't need to sell and I'll hold out for the right buyer... I'm more tired of all the tire kickers and people wasting my time. I've owned it since 2013, and it's been a great truck for me. I'm just looking to downsize my cars and get ready to go back to school. This isn't a must sell, but it would be nice.
    1993 GMC Typhoon Garnet Red #1519 *UK Daily Driver 10k miles and counting!*
    1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
    Heads/Cam/Intake,T56 w/ twin disk clutch, Moser 9" 3.89.
    Awaiting install: ATI Procharger
    1986 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z- Ls1 T56

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's most recent tire kicker was a kid who wanted me to drive 20 minutes, show him the car, and 20 minutes back... so an hour of my time.

For me to discover he didn't even know what a typhoon was, he just wanted a car to drive to work and back... and the kicker was he ended up trying to rent it from me for a few months, with zero intention to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Location plays a major factor, what someone is willing to travel to look at potential deal is few and far between with these trucks. Also considering the fact of how they will return it home after purchase and if it's worthy of the drive. Seeing as the price tag isn't exactly pocket change for most people looking to buy one, and a loan to purchase is at ones expense of higher interest of a personal loan.

Your pictures and asking price are more than fair to gain interest in a serious buyer. I think the cards just are not lining up for you. Keep it and wait, or keep lowering the price. I decided to keep mine, you have to draw the line somewhere of how low you can go.
    91 SY #966
    92 Teal TY #414 Nats 05 Pure Stock Champ
    92 4dr T15 Jimmy 4x4

Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Garnets are desirable, IMO. Probably command about a 30% premium for the color. 100K+ mile 93's that need nothing are about 10-11K based on the couple of recent sale prices I'm aware of. So a Garnet that needs nothing might be 13,000-14,300. 14,300 is getting close to the LW404 Aspen, however, and no Garnet has the provenance LW404 does. So I'm a little high.
    I agree with what you're saying Dave, I started working on an algorithm a while back to try and figure out values based on mileage, color rarity, condition and eventually hoping to work in option combos in addition to the colors because that too should play a part, but I don't need to explain that to a Corvette guy.

Based on the mileage, I say you're probably very close to spot on. The LW Aspen sold for what? 18K? 18.5k? I am 99% sure Kellers Aspen sold for damn near the same price, both trucks we're very close in mileage, so either the movie provenance doesn't hold much value or one truck sold higher than it should or the other sold low. Either way both parties we're happy in each case and that is also a factor we as a small community needs to remember, we have a much smaller pool to pull prices from. Just because one or two people get "deals", they should not impact the overall value of these trucks and IMO is huge reason why almost everyone in this community lowballs the shit out of any truck that pops up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just took a look at the pictures great detail yes.That truck needs a lot of TLC.
    1986 Buick skylark first car Sold
    1992 Buick Skylark coupe Sold
    1992 Acura Integra 4 door rice burner POS Sold
    1987 Chevy S10 SOLD
    1998 Gmc Sonoma 148k 5speed V6 4.3 liter Sold
    2001 Gmc Yukon Currently driving 115K
    My truck !!
    http://www.syty.net/forums/body-paint-and-detailing/93685-0213-typhoon-renew.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected. There are indeed lots of pics, Thanks for the link, Steve. The chassis isn't as crusty as I thought it would be. On the otherhand, cars always look better in pics than they do when you get there in person, and there are serious issues with the paint. After looking quickly at the pics, my first impressions on value were not too far off. In MY opinion of course, which is only mine. Others will disagree, which is fine.

If you have the opportunity and fundage, try to clean it up. Especially engine and chassis. Find a fuel tank cover for it for example. Prolly $10 at a yard. Cover the rust up.

Keep getting it exposure, and keep the ads active. Keep at it. As an old-timer used car lot manager told me when I first started at the dealership in 1973 "There's an ass for every seat. It will sell". I asked "always at your price or at a profit?" "Oh hell no. Sometimes you are lucky to give it away, but still, there's an ass for every seat". I'm sure that guy is dead, he was in his 60's 45 years ago. But he taught me a lot about selling and buying used cars. It will sell to someone at a price that will be determined at the conclusion of the deal.

Again, your truck would be easy to sink 20K+ into to get it front line ready, including the 9,000 price of admission. And then have a Typhoon that would sell for about 14-15. Perhaps a little more if the paint is really nicely done. Not just "shiny". But nice. You have to wait until a guy that just has to have a Garnet finds it, and is willing to put the effort and expense into bringing it back.

Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the color combination. Just wish the paint was in a little better condition. I agree with the fact that every SyTy needs a motor and that should be a given when purchasing one with 100k+. But motor work and full paint of body/cladding and interior, is just too much money to get the Ty where I would want it. I do love the color combo. Either the red and garnet or teal and garnet are going to be my next SyTy purchase.

Good luck with the sale!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to disagree with a typhoon over 100k miles needing a new engine. It all depends on how it's been maintained... sure, a truck that had a huge turbo slapped on at 50k miles and has 50k hard miles could be a likely situation, but this truck runs great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullydawg View Post
    I would have to disagree with a typhoon over 100k miles needing a new engine. It all depends on how it's been maintained... sure, a truck that had a huge turbo slapped on at 50k miles and has 50k hard miles could be a likely situation, but this truck runs great!
    I agree, before I starting dickering with my typhoon (previously owned by my dad), the stock motor lasted 175,000 miles. That was with 2 teenage male drivers occasionally being allowed to drive (more like completely abuse) the truck. The trans was about 168,000 or so. If they are maintained, they can last. Just a note to the people who want to go fast, my dad put 268 or 9 thousand miles on his truck and then sold it to me, needing a lot of TLC. He put those miles on between 93 and really 98 or 99, sold it to me in 2000. The truck now has something like 273 or 274. It hasn't run in years. LEAVE IT STOCK. 5000 miles in 17 years for me, 268,000 miles for him in 5 or at most 6 years.
    Jeff "Syclone Honesty Police" Ziembicki
    93 TY 275,000 miles or so
    2007 Trailblazer SS
    2005 Subaru STI (sleeper no hood scoop or rear wing)
    96 camaro (lifetime project that hasn't been touched in 10 years)

Combating adversyty. Quickstop [UK]'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This truck does indeed run really well. Aaron spent a lot of time addressing little issues like interior trim and stock features like the radiator and IC pumps rather than go-fast goodies. The truck ran really well and wasn't abused.

Whoever gets this is getting a solid runner.

How hard is it going to be for you to fix the paint mate? Shame it left the UK!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After looking at all the pictures and reading the sellers description I still agree with Dave. I would rather have a damn near perfect body and a shitty engine that blows oil. Rust never sleeps. Unless you are a awesome body man there is $5k there to make it nice. I would rather redo the engine/trans ( mechanical stuff0 than body work. Color aside sorry to say I would be a tire kicker also after looking at it. I would move on to a different typhoon. Just saying that is me. Nice color, just not for me.
    1962 Chevrolet Biscayne( low and mean)
    2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4( daily driver)
    2017 Street Glide Special yep two wheeled ride

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Body is solid. Been a west coast car and doesn't have any real rust. I couldn't imagine any rust that would need to be address or welded. I couldn't see it needing any extensive body work.

I Love My Ty's
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullydawg View Post
    Body is solid. Been a west coast car and doesn't have any real rust. I couldn't imagine any rust that would need to be address or welded. I couldn't see it needing any extensive body work.
    Have you had the cladding off? I see signs that it may possibly have more rust issues than you think. But maybe not. With these trucks sometimes it is hard to tell by pictures. It doesn't look to bad at all underneath. But one of your pictures would make a person want to really look to be sure about any type of rust issue.

It is a very rare color truck. One of my favorites. But a person has to really look into what they think the total investment will be to get one of these trucks to get it into the condition they want it to be.
    Phil
    91 Syclone 2097
    92 Typhoon 0042 Black/Black
    93 Typhoon 1955 Royal Blue

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information