front driveshaft ????

1blkc4

Donating Member
Just pulled out the front prop shaft out after doing motor mounts(what a cluster fxxx) I noticed my front propshaft needs a ujoint the ones in here are labeled spr 529 I really cant find much info looks like the spicer 5-213x will work any suggestions ?

MotoCam360

What is everybody using for a heavy duty front prop shaft when running a 4L80e? I see Sport Machines has a solution, so what else is out there to compare to?

MotoCam360;n1859861 said:
What is everybody using for a heavy duty front prop shaft when running a 4L80e? I see Sport Machines has a solution, so what else is out there to compare to?

Gilbert still makes solid drive/propshafts.

MotoCam360

Squid2Soldier;n1859865 said:
Gilbert still makes solid drive/propshafts.

But do they offer a shortened propshaft to accommodate the longer tranny? I know there are a bunch of 4L80e guys out there, so it would be great to hear from them as to what setup they're all running

1blkc4

Donating Member
This appears to be an aftermarket or maybe a bravada propshaft I just had a spicer u joint 5-1310x installed 30 bucks which seemed pretty cheap .

tunerpike

Donating Member
I ordered a front propshaft from Sportmachines last week.. After searching around, other places wanted around $350.00 or so and it didn't come with the additional hardware. What Sportmachines offers really seems like a good deal... Once I receive it I will report back on the quality, but I'm sure its top notch.

Syclone1639

I'm still waiting on the rear drive shaft I ordered from them. Ordered and paid two months ago, but credit card has NOT been charged. Good luck with your purchase.

tunerpike

Donating Member
I received the shaft from Sportmachines on Wednesday along with a vacccum hose kit. The quality is top notch, looks great.

I had a rear driveshaft made locally, with 3 inch .093 wall thickness, solid spicer joints and balanced. Dropped the stocker off on Tuesday and picked up the new one on Friday. The only thing reused was the front yoke. Cost $325.00

Just an FYI to Motocam360, the 80e propshaft is 3.25 inches longer and the rear driveshaft is 3.25 shorter.

MotoCam360

Thanks for the heads up Turnerpike. I'm just about to get going on this project now that the suspension is done.

MotoCam360

tunerpike;n1860224 said:
I received the shaft from Sportmachines on Wednesday along with a vacccum hose kit. The quality is top notch, looks great.

I had a rear driveshaft made locally, with 3 inch .093 wall thickness, solid spicer joints and balanced. Dropped the stocker off on Tuesday and picked up the new one on Friday. The only thing reused was the front yoke. Cost $325.00

Just an FYI to Motocam360, the 80e propshaft is 3.25 inches longer and the rear driveshaft is 3.25 shorter.

I think you have a Syclone right? Here's a novice question: Are the wheel bases different between the Sy and Ty? If so, this would impact the length of rear driveshaft a bit.

tunerpike

Donating Member
Yes, I have a Syclone. I believe the propshaft lengths are the same between them but the rear drive shafts are different due to wheelbase and transfer case type. The 32 spline case out of the ty has a longer tail shaft vs the 27 spline Sy case. Eitherway the 3.25 difference when installing an 80e remains the same between them. The propshaft being 3.25” longer and the driveshaft being 3.25” shorter then stock.

MotoCam360

Just received my 4L80e prop shaft for the TY from Sport Machines - they make some nice stuff!

c2MlWvZ.jpg