Owning multiple SyTys? PITA?

Logan

I have my Typhoon and I enjoy it. I want a Syclone as well and part of me wants a 92 Typhoon but I feel like it is almost more hassle than its worth. What do you guys think that own both?

Do you feel the need to do the same mods to all of them or can one be left alone?

Does one get neglected? Is it a constant headache or is it one of those "bitch, I get to choose whether my bad ass comes with a tonneau cover or a back seat today" kind of thing?

I am just curious, I am not really in the market but its 2 a.m., the new girlfriend left (4'10", 100, blonde, blue eyes and all kinds of trouble, another story) and what do I do? Get on the forum.

Adam#0213

This truck is awesome!!
Re: Owning multiple SyTys? PITA?

I think we need pictures of the blonde before talking about having more trucks.:rotf:

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY

Comes down to your own capacity (financial, time, interest, garage space). Unless the second one is pristine (and good luck finding that), it's going to need attention...they're old trucks!

I had both for a short period and didn't want either one of them sitting out in the rain/snow, so eventually pared down to one because of garage space.

Sometimes "wanting" something turns out to be more fun than the reality of having it, but more power to you if you have the means! :tup:

And by the way, you would not be alone, not by a longshot. Check out this poll I did in 2006:
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39198

gstacky

I agree, need pics of said girlfriend:tup:

I have one of each, and love having both. Problem is, my Sy is low mileage, and for that reason I just don't drive it much. Not sure whether it's because I want to keep the mileage low, or prevent door dings, that sort of thing, or the fact that it only has 2 seats, and the family can't come with me. My Ty on the other hand gets driven quite a bit. It's high mileage, paint is decent original but no where near perfect, so I'm not afraid to take it anywhere, and I can take the kids with me.
Now both of my trucks are stock, no mods, and I would drive either of them anywhere, so that makes a huge difference. I don't have them to race or prove anything. I have them because I enjoy what they are and in the odd chance I get on them a bit, the power they have. And the fact that most people have no clue what they are. They are rare, simple, and fun to drive, and I have no problem working on one when I need to.
I actually like them so much I'm in the middle of building another one, well sorta.

GAShan

Donating Member

I have both. Same as Greg my Sy has 25K miles and is a show and track truck. My Ty has 156K and is my daily driver when the weather is nice. They both have mods but for different goals. The Ty is set up to be a long distnce cruiser with suspension, brakes and a sound system. Stock motor and tranny. The Sy has engine, brake and suspensions mods to make it quick in the 1/4 and perform well at autox.

Sy1566

Wish I knew the answer to this question -I don't. But right about now, I'm itching for a well kept, low miles, mostly original Typhoon!

DaveP

I have 2 Syclones and 1 Typhoon.

Last edited:

Logan

First off, you dirty bastards will not get pics! Jimmy will have them saved in 4.2 seconds and on the off chance she ever found out the proof is right there. Now, if she turns into an ex then its game on and she will be the unofficial SyTy.net model by the time its all said and done. Fair?

I think the key that I am picking up on with having multiple SyTys is have a driver and have a show/ fun ride. I think my next one will be the shower of the group. Mine has rust (hidden) and while its nice, it is more of a nice daily.

hatrik8

Donating Member

First off, you dirty bastards will not get pics! Jimmy will have them saved in 4.2 seconds and on the off chance she ever found out the proof is right there. Now, if she turns into an ex then its game on and she will be the unofficial SyTy.net model by the time its all said and done. Fair?

I think everyone on here will hold you to that statement.

I think owning multiple vehicles no matter what type can be a hassle. There's always something that needs to be done. Cars require maintenance, more cars = more maintenance. More specialty and finicky cars (SYTY) require even more time. Baythan hit it on the head... if you have time, money, space, etc do it

blue83z

Donating Member

Owning many cars is a good and bad. I have some I rarely drive (Buick), one that has been 99% complete for 3 years (Chevelle), and the Harley that moves 3 times a year.

The Corvette typically only comes out a few times a year, and gets put in storage right after Corvettes at Carlisle.

I am "reworking" my collection to have more low mile, unmodified vehicles that should theoretically take less time working on and can spend more time driving them.

If you have all projects, its probably more of a headache than its worth, but if you have "finished" vehicles its not as bad.

Icarus-54

Donating Old Member

I drive a different one every day,but I'm also paying the insurance and maintanence on 9 vehicles plus two projects.Sytys are addictive but there is a cure--go by yourself a ZR-1,worked for me.The trouble with sytys is if this set up works----a little more might be better and hense it never ends.

Matt

i own two tys and one sy, one always needs some kind of work :lol:

blue83z

Donating Member

make sure you have them on a collectors insurance policy. Much much less than adding to your standard policy. in turn for the lower premium, there are some restrictions though.

Logan

I drive a different one every day,but I'm also paying the insurance and maintanence on 9 vehicles plus two projects.Sytys are addictive but there is a cure--go by yourself a ZR-1,worked for me.The trouble with sytys is if this set up works----a little more might be better and hense it never ends.

Username Alwayscode390 has a ZR-1 that I see on FB all of the time and I have the sickness now. I want a Corvette in a bad way but a ZR-1 from the early 90s would be the ultimate for me.

jamnut

It really depends on how much time you want to devote to them. I race multiple cars, sometimes I hit 3 different local tracks a week. 2 of my cars are really really really high HP cars. If they don't blow up I tear them both down every other season. My nitrous grudge car usually doesn't make it that long. So that is what I call high maintenance, my Syclone would have to mess up a whole lot to need 1/4 the maintenance those cars need. Everyone has different opinions on what a lot of work is.

Some people have the resources to fix things as they happen, others take months and months to get stuff done. Depends on what type of person you are.

TheBEAVR

I think that's just about every performance vehicle. :lol:

Username Alwayscode390 has a ZR-1 that I see on FB all of the time and I have the sickness now. I want a Corvette in a bad way but a ZR-1 from the early 90s would be the ultimate for me.

Syclone1639 has one, also. I must have missed the memo to buy one when I got my Typhoon.

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am

At the height of our obsession there were 5 syty's at the house, the stock-ish ones never required too much although they had issues from time to time as well. We never drove them unless the modded ones were done for repair because they're stock and why would you want to drive a stock syty when there's one with 300hp more sitting next to it.

We never modded the stock ones (though we talked about it a lot), I'm sure we would have definitely done so if there weren't other projects always in our laps.

ajt86

I think the smart thing is having a stock one and modding the other. I have a ty thats got heads, cam, exhaust, and tune- so im in the market for a mostly stock syclone. they are fairly reliable if you don't push them too hard and maintain them.

now if you get stuck with 2 shit boxes you could end up with some big headaches

gary sy

ive had my sy 18yrs and I like to go to the track at least 1x a year I don't beat on it or drive it stupid . but that's what they were made to do it would be like having a Ferrari and only driving it 55 mpr right :dunno: and really have not had too maney issues with it. and now we have plans to get a stock ty hopfully soon :D:D:

Smkur50

SYTY Fleet owner

Yeah..Im to the conclusion with space, time and money.. one stock one is good like my 92 Green/Grey Ty with 45k miles fits the bill and the modded out Sy for just straight out haulin ass fits the ticket. The Sy Im selling now I just keep wanting to spend money on and neglecting the others.